Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Petition for DIAC to recognize the advantage of family sponsorship

Petition for DIAC to recognize the advantage of family sponsorship

Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

MigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really nice
Default Petition for DIAC to recognize the advantage of family sponsorship

First off, my apologies if this is off-topic here.

Our family have recently written to our local MP of our objection to the new migration points system, specifically the omission of points for family sponsorship. We are now in the process of rallying support from various communities to do the same. Half of the Australian population has at-least one migrant parent, we believe we could gather enough support to pressure the government.

I belong to a fairly big migrant family residing here in Sydney, our family members are either naturalized citizens (like myself) or natural born Aussies. Our understanding is the whole idea of a points system is to ensure those who have a bigger chance of being able to contribute to the country (specially economically) will be awarded the highest points. While we support most of the new points structure, specially the emphasis on English skills, we just feel that is unfair not to acknowledge the advantage of a migrant who moves here with the support of family members, surely that has to count for something.

From an economic perspective, personally I believe the new points system would cause the migrant intake to drop drastically to an unsustainable level and will put skills shortage at it's peak.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by MigrantFamily; Jun 28th 2011 at 12:27 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:07 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petition for DIAC to recognize the advantage of family sponsorship

Yes, we need skilled migrants, not any migrants. Sorry.
People migrate do so know family ties may be cut or stretched. A policy such as your proposing, I believe will be to the detriment of the country.

I sat in a an hr meeting today of local resource based companies and almost all are lookingat overseas and 457s to et the people we need. Maybe different in Sydney of course.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:14 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MigrantFamily
First off, my apologies if this is off-topic here.

Our family have recently written to our local MP of our objection to the new migration points system, specifically the omission of points for family sponsorship. We are now in the process of rallying support from various communities to do the same. Half of the Australian population has at-least one migrant parent, we believe we could gather enough support to pressure the government.

I belong to a fairly big migrant family residing here in Sydney, our family members are either naturalized citizens (like myself) or natural born Aussies. Our understanding is the whole idea of a points system is to ensure those who have a bigger chance of being able to contribute to the country (specially economically) will be awarded the highest points. While we support most of the new points structure, specially the emphasis on English skills, we just feel that is unfair not to acknowledge the advantage of a migrant who moves here with the support of family members, surely that has to count for something.

From an economic perspective, personally I believe the new points system would cause the migrant intake to drop drastically to an unsustainable level and will put skills shortage at it's peak.

Any thoughts?
A visa is a privilege, not a right. I imagine that the government are aware of the advantages and/or disadvantages of family sponsored visas. Whilst cutting points for family sponsorship could be problematic for potential migrants, it does reinforce the need for skills to be the priority.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

MigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really niceMigrantFamily is just really nice

Appreciate your opinions.

Like I said, I agree in the majority of the changes on the points system - the emphasis on skills and English etc - but to COMPLETELY not credit having a local support network, I don't think so. To us is really simple, a migrant with relatives here have a good advantage. By no means are we suggesting that it should be the sole basis of priotization, all we're saying is it deserves some credit as had always been the case.

Visa may not be a right from an applicant's perspective, but having a say on government policy is a right we intend to exercise.

Last edited by MigrantFamily; Jun 28th 2011 at 2:54 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 7:51 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

This part of the forum is specifically for visa type questions to help migrants with the visa process.

Whilst the thread poses a valid question it is in the wrong forum - I will move it to the Australia forum where opinions of the members might help
Old Jun 28th 2011, 11:05 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciate your opinions.

Like I said, I agree in the majority of the changes on the points system - the emphasis on skills and English etc - but to COMPLETELY not credit having a local support network, I don't think so. To us is really simple, a migrant with relatives here have a good advantage. By no means are we suggesting that it should be the sole basis of priotization, all we're saying is it deserves some credit as had always been the case.

Visa may not be a right from an applicant's perspective, but having a say on government policy is a right we intend to exercise.
Do they?

I don't know about that..is there any research to prove that's the case? Why should (say) low-skilled family members get to come in over someone else with the skills Australia needs? Because that's the problem, isn't it. Just because one, two or three members of a family have skills doesn't mean they all do.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Australia needs skills...not to play happy families.

When I did my 856 and went for my meds in Sydney and twice to Immi in Paramatta I was actually shocked to see how many (almost 100%) of people both times were unskilled Asians (I have nothing against Asians...just telling it how it is) trying to get in on family reunion visas.

When I talk to Australian's about my experiences and the figures of skilled visas to family visas..most of them too are shocked. They are so wound up with a few hundred boat people that the bigger picture of unskilled migration is hidden from them. IMO.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, dont think families should get added bonuses. Australia should give visas to people who are going to add to its skill base not just because Uncle Joe and Aunty Margaret happen to live here.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 2:45 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by quoll
Nope, dont think families should get added bonuses. Australia should give visas to people who are going to add to its skill base not just because Uncle Joe and Aunty Margaret happen to live here.
Agreed. Skills come first.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 3:25 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on Red.

People move mountains to obtain skilled or sponsored work visas and end up earning them on merit.

Yet there have been two major loopholes that make a mockery of the whole principle and ethics of the immigration policy and aims and that has been with the student and family sponsorship visas. Both have been used and abused.

The student visas were tightened up on recently and I'm glad to hear they are doing something about the family one too.

Not enough by the sound of it. They should be working toward scrapping them completely although there may be one or two exceptions allowed.

Yes that means I would not be able to bring over any of my family. So be it. I wouldn't be here in the first place if that was a concern.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 3:31 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

.....having a say on government policy is a right we intend to exercise.

Quite right.

And I intend to exercise the same right to defeat you.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

No thanks - we have a skills shortage not a people shortage.

1) Improve training for Australians/Migrants already here to allow them to better themselves, their families and improve the economy.

2) Where 1) isn't possible look at skilled migration.

Opening the door to everyone and their dog just because they have family here doesn't sound like the perfect solution to me.

Sorry but no
Old Jun 29th 2011, 7:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Judging by some past comments on BE, having 'local support network' doesn't always work. Sorry, I agree with previous comments, it's a class of visa that has in the past and is currently highly used and abused and most definitely needs updating to tighten the rules.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 8:24 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Petition for DIAC to recognize the advantage of family sponsorship

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Opening the door to everyone and their dog just because they have family here doesn't sound like the perfect solution to me.
Are they going to award visas for dogs then?

BB
Old Jun 29th 2011, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I go with the consensus, skills not family.

It is not DIACs job to reunite families or make it easier for families to be reunited by weighting the points system. If family ties were that strong then maybe they should have stayed together in the first place and all stayed put.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.