Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Peter Moyes School, Mindarie, Perth

Peter Moyes School, Mindarie, Perth

Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice
Default Peter Moyes School, Mindarie, Perth

We are considering Peter Moyes Anglican School in Mindarie for our 3 boys, has anyone any advice about the school?

There is not much on the internet about it, only statistics - although they are very useful and the school looks great we would appreciate some real advice on it, good or bad.

I have been looking on the internet at my sons current school here in the U.K., to see if the internet is a true representation of what it is really like, I don't think I would have sent him there if I'd have read about it first - but actually it is a very good school and one that I have always been familiar with.

Does anyone know how far it is from Butler?

Munch
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:11 pm
Finally in Melbourne!

ittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really nice
Default Re: Peter Moyes School, Mindarie, Perth

Originally Posted by munch
We are considering Peter Moyes Anglican School in Mindarie for our 3 boys, has anyone any advice about the school?

There is not much on the internet about it, only statistics - although they are very useful and the school looks great we would appreciate some real advice on it, good or bad.

I have been looking on the internet at my sons current school here in the U.K., to see if the internet is a true representation of what it is really like, I don't think I would have sent him there if I'd have read about it first - but actually it is a very good school and one that I have always been familiar with.

Munch
Hi Munch
Just wondering if this would be better on 'The Barbie' Forum as most of the people on there are living the life already!!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

Thanks, will do, new to this and already made a mistake! :embaressed_smile:
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:43 pm
Finally in Melbourne!

ittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really nice

It takes me ages to pluck up the courage to post a thread - rediculous really because everyone is very helpful
How far into the application are you? We applied mid December so still got quite a wait yet. Hoping to know something by April.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Timescales similar to you, we applied for the skilled independant visa in November (husband is a brickie) he passed the 1st part of his skills assessment before Christmas,but he is now waiting for the practical assessment in April (vetassess just took $1500 for it today) - frustrating cos we have to wait until April now before we can move forward to apply for the visa.
Hoping to move to Perth, if all goes well - went for reckie in Nov 2006 and loved it, came back and put the house up for sale it sold last October so we are in rented now but think we will have a long wait - what visa are you applying for and where are you heading?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:18 pm
Finally in Melbourne!

Timescales similar to you, we applied for the skilled independant visa in November (husband is a brickie) he passed the 1st part of his skills assessment before Christmas,but he is now waiting for the practical assessment in April (vetassess just took $1500 for it today) - frustrating cos we have to wait until April now before we can move forward to apply for the visa.
Hoping to move to Perth, if all goes well - went for reckie in Nov 2006 and loved it, came back and put the house up for sale it sold last October so we are in rented now but think we will have a long wait - what visa are you applying for and where are you heading?
OH is a computer programmer so we are applying for a 175 too. Not at all sure where we are heading! We are going to travel around for the first 3 months to get a feel for the place and then settle where we feel comfortable. Mind you, could well settle after the first week because we have 3 young boys and the thought of travelling for 12 weeks is a bit scary
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about it.............. apparently we are pretty thick up north?

Welcome to BE.................. whereabouts in Preston are you from? I'm from Brookfield.

What's happened to PNE..................... this time last year they were table toppers?

Peter Moyes School apparently is a belter.............. it gets good reports from parents I know whose kids go there. From Butler at most it would be a 10 minute drive.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:24 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

My friends three children all go to Peter Moyes and they are very happy there.
It's supposed to have excellent facilities and a great music programme (all kids must learn to play something)
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Munch

Both my girls go and I have no complaints about it.

Bulter is hardly any distance at all from the school, wouldn t take anymore than 5 mintues to drive it

What year will your children be in?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

The school looks the part but the exam results never seem to be very good. Now I'm not a parent who demands top exam results of a school (it sometimes means nothing more than a high percentage of Chinese students who are forced to study like crazy by their manic mums), but Peter Moyes made the bottom 10 in WA (not just Perth) a couple of years ago by one key measure. Why go on a waiting list and pay fees for a school that performs in the bottom 10?

The answer is that there is little alternative in that area, as the state school is considered pretty rough. Peter Moyes is held in high esteem by some as it is better than the "rough" school and has an impressive campus and facilities, and perhaps most of all because their kids are doing fine there. Fair enough.

I think the exam results are improving gradually, so that's a positive trend. I was considering it when we lived in that area, but we moved away in the end. My friends put their kids in for a couple of years but pulled them out.

Munch
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bobcat
Don't worry about it.............. apparently we are pretty thick up north?

Welcome to BE.................. whereabouts in Preston are you from? I'm from Brookfield.

What's happened to PNE..................... this time last year they were table toppers?

Peter Moyes School apparently is a belter.............. it gets good reports from parents I know whose kids go there. From Butler at most it would be a 10 minute drive.
Originally from Leyland, but have just sold our house and are now renting in Penwortham - just hope there are some jobs for brickies left by the time we get there.
PNE - what can I say! Not enough investment last year, spending it now to get out of the dangerzone.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kimi
Both my girls go and I have no complaints about it.

Bulter is hardly any distance at all from the school, wouldn t take anymore than 5 mintues to drive it

What year will your children be in?
Think by the time we get there they would be in kindy (age 4), pre-primary (age 5) and year 7 (age 11). What years are your children in?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Think by the time we get there they would be in kindy (age 4), pre-primary (age 5) and year 7 (age 11). What years are your children in?

Hi one starts yr 1 this yr and the other yr 2
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

Hi, My girls go to the school next door to Peter Moyes but we too looked at sending our girls there, they just didn't have any vacancies for our daughters in the school year they needed...
As your children are mainly primary school age, you would be financially better off sending your children to the local primary school and then consider moving them into private school when they reach high school age.....The primary school education here is not really a concern (particularly in this area) it's just the high school that has a bad reputation.
There are also a few other private schools in the area to look at, especially if Peter Moyes does not have any vacancies......Quinns Baptist College, Irene McCormack Catholic College, Prindivelle College, Lake Joondalup Baptist College with a few other private schools with very good reputations around the Joondalup area (about 15 - 20 mins drive from Butler)
If you look on the local government website under education you should find the stats of how all the schools in WA did in regard to exam results etc.....that might help you choose also...
Good luck!! It's a mindfield......
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

I would seriously consider other options rather than jumping into the nearest private school just because it’s ‘private’. Ocean Reef, Mindarie, Wanneroo, Woodvale, Duncraig, are all very good High Schools in the Northern Suburbs. Are you definitely staying in Butler?

If you children are at primary school age then I definitely wouldn’t waste your money. You can get last years WALNA results for public primary schools in WA off the internet. Private primary schools don’t have to disclose their WALNA results – say no more. Most primary schools are a much of a much ness with a few not so good ones.

Peter Moyes, in my opinion is a 3rd rate private school. 1st rate being, Hale, St Hildas, Methodist Ladies College, Christ Church Grammar, etc. 2nd rate being, St Marks, St Stephens, Duncraig & Carramar, etc. 3rd rate being Joondalup Baptist, Peter Moyes, Irene McCormack.

Peter Moyes didn’t do well in this years TEE results (or last year for that matter). Irene McCormack performed even worse than any school in the area. Other public local schools such as Mindarie High, Ocean Reef, Wanneroo, all done better or roughly the same as Peter Moyes. Why pay for average results?

Remember, the private schools you can easily get into without a long wait are usually the ones that are not value for money and have a high drop out rate.

Also, consider if your child(ren) have any special talents, interests or skills. Nearly all public high schools have special programs in various subjects such as; soccer, music, marine biology, diving, drama, the arts, etc, etc. By not committing to a private school in the primary years, you can see how your child develops and pursue their interests and talents.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.