Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pet transportation

Pet transportation

Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Vash will become famous soon enoughMrs Vash will become famous soon enough
Question Pet transportation

Hi can someone redirect me if a thread already exists that deals with my question...

We are transporting our cat to Australia via Golden Arrow, however, when she has had her time in quarantine (Melbourne) it is down to us to work out how to get her from there to Adelaide. We could do it ourselves, but it involves a long-day journey with a young baby, so I can see frequent stops and therefore delays happening, etc. Also, I don't know how much room there will be in the car for baby stuff, and overnight bags (because it will have to involve at least one stay overnight in order to do the trip each way) and the cat pen.

Does anyone know of a company who will transport from Melbourne to Adelaide with a good reputation, likely cost and how far in advance they need to be booked?
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet transportation

Are you sure they dont already provide the service? We are using PetAirs and for an extra 200 pnd they will send our two dogs up to Brisbane from Sydney for us.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:06 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Vash
Hi can someone redirect me if a thread already exists that deals with my question...

We are transporting our cat to Australia via Golden Arrow, however, when she has had her time in quarantine (Melbourne) it is down to us to work out how to get her from there to Adelaide. We could do it ourselves, but it involves a long-day journey with a young baby, so I can see frequent stops and therefore delays happening, etc. Also, I don't know how much room there will be in the car for baby stuff, and overnight bags (because it will have to involve at least one stay overnight in order to do the trip each way) and the cat pen.

Does anyone know of a company who will transport from Melbourne to Adelaide with a good reputation, likely cost and how far in advance they need to be booked?
We flew our dogs from Sydney to Brisbane using Dogtainers: Dogtainer Link As far as I'm aware they work country wide, but there's a contact option on the website where they'll be able to give you a quote. We arranged them once we arrived here but I guess you can sort the service earlier and just confirm the collection date nearer the time.

We had them pick the dogs up from the quarantine centre, fly them to Brisbane Airport and deliver them to our door (about 35 miles away from the airport) but you can also collect them yourself from your airport. They were very good and professional and I'd certainly recommend them to anyone.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all

We recently used JetPets. They arranged everything, from picking up from the quarantine facility, taking them to the airport and arranging the flight up to Brisbane. We then had to go to Brisbane airport to pick up, but they also arrange at an extra cost to transport to your door.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:52 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

as above. use www.dogtainers.com.au

Will pick up from quarantine and then you pick up your dog from the airport. Simply great service and better you deal with the Australian company direct rather than the UK middle man imo.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

We used Dog Tainers when we came back to UK they were brill PetAirs use them for their transportation requirements as well
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

No I've already booked with Golden Arrow now. Guess I'll have to email AQIS.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about

We've used Dogtainers and Jetpets and both were brilliant!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Yes, but don't you have to do the whole lot through them? I've already paid my deposit to Golden Arrow and they have made the booking and it's only a few days to go.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Does your husband know you've infiltrated his private domain?
Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

It's about time I said something about the standard of service my cat received...

Almost two months ago now, the nice man from Golden Arrow turned up with his van and a massive cat box for me to deposit my cat in... I tearfully put her in and said 'bye for now' as she tried to play "it" with me through the bars. She didn't get it really. He carefully explained what would happen between now and quarantine release - she would be at their depot for 3 days and then taken to heathrow where she would be flown to Australia, and she would get a purpose built box for travelling in. She would also be given a shower. (I can't remember whether that happens in quarantine or beforehand, anyway, I was told about it). She wouldn't be able to wear her collar or keep any toys, but could have them in the 3 days she was still in the UK. You might (if you are transporting a cat) want to buy a spare collar in the UK because I've not found a decent one over here yet.

I had arranged for Dogtainers to collect and transport her from Melbourne quarantine to our house in Adelaide, when the 30 days was over. So right on time, the nice Dogtainers man arrived in his van with a little cat box and the cute mewling sound that she makes. There were no hitches, he was on time and she was in excellent condition.

Before she left, she had been a little on the overweight side and her coat was slightly scruffy (for some unknown reason - vet was never very helpful). I'd been spending the month leading up to her travels combing out bits of matted fur, or cutting it out if it wouldn't go. (Was worried about this as the animals are supposed to be in best health and condition to pass quarantine). When she arrived here on that day, her coat was beautifully smooth and glossy - not a sign of her previous scruffiness, and she is a little lighter which will be great for her health in the long run.

We get to keep the cat box which was custom built. It is made from craft wood with a metal grill, two carry handles and a water holder. It has her name and destination stencilled on so that no one can make a mistake between flights about where she should be going. We were able to fit her cat tray in it the first week, as we didn't let her out for 7 days, so it was useful (cat owners know that an uncovered cat tray soon spreads itself all over the house).

All in all I'm very satisfied.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Vash
Before she left, she had been a little on the overweight side and her coat was slightly scruffy. <snip> When she arrived here on that day, her coat was beautifully smooth and glossy - not a sign of her previous scruffiness, and she is a little lighter which will be great for her health in the long run.
Are you sure it's the same cat though?

Aw, I'm pleased she's arrived safe and sound ... it's nice to be reunited with your pet on "the far side" isn't it?

cheers
shears
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shears
Are you sure it's the same cat though?

Aw, I'm pleased she's arrived safe and sound ... it's nice to be reunited with your pet on "the far side" isn't it?

cheers
shears
It's certainly her. She is a very warm and gentle cat and anyway, after 6 years I should know what she looks like!