Pet Shipping

Old Mar 19th 2004, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough
Talking Pet Shipping

Having taken quotes from Golden Arrow and Airpets, we decided to use Golden Arrow as we thought they seemed to offer a more personal service (the prices were more or less the same).

Having left it a bit late to book Cassie on her flight, she was unable to fly at the same time as us, however GA were very accommodating and for an extra charge of approx 50p per mile for a return trip they picked her up from my Dad's house. She followed on 2 weeks after us.

When we picked her up from quarantine at Sydney we saw the crate she travelled in, it was a lot larger than we expected and were told it was actually ours if we wanted to take it home with us, however it wouldn't fit in the car.

The quarantine centre were very helpful whenever we called them for an update, we couldn't visit her as we live too far away (Bris). When we picked her up she was in excellent condition, the centre had bathed and groomed her the day before we picked her up and she smelled lovely! She is in good health and none the worse for wear.

Cassie has settled in nicely to her new home here.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Tina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant futureTina Baker has a brilliant future

I am so glad you wrote! I am in the middle of getting quotes and trying to get my head around all the paperwork needed to take my dog and cat to Perth!
I get really worried when i think about them being away from me for such a long time and the stresses of being on a plane but your mail really helped........I haven't contacted Golden arrow but will give them a call, do they sort most things out for you? Is it you own vet that sorts the paperwork out and sends blood off etc or do i need to find a Australian approved one? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated............!
Old Mar 19th 2004, 2:28 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Appreciate this posting - its good to hear how our 4-legged friends get on with life during flights and quarantine.

We too are expecting to be in Brisbane by October and have a Weimeraner dog and will bring her with us regardless of costs.

As your own dog was quarantined in Sydney did GA offer to fly her down to Brisbane after and what sort of price did they quote for doing this ?

Finally, heading back to Brisbane after collecting the dog, as it is a good 12 hour drive did you stop in a hotel on your return route ? can you recommend somewhere which will accept dogs ?

Thanks !
Old Mar 20th 2004, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Tina Baker
I haven't contacted Golden arrow but will give them a call, do they sort most things out for you? Is it you own vet that sorts the paperwork out and sends blood off etc or do i need to find a Australian approved one?

Hi Tina. Golden Arrow arrange everything for you, they get all the permits required, then inform you what to do, when. You go to your own vets for the blood tests which have to be done within a month of your dog's departure date. GA send you all the necessary forms required and tell you what date this needs to be done too. Also, your dog will need treating for fleas, again by the vet, and your vet will need to give you a letter confirming that this has been completed. It is all very straight forward and GA guide you along the way. If there is anything you don't understand, Chris at GA is very helpful, you just have to give him a call! GA's contact details are:-

Tel : 01588 680240, Contact Chris Sorenson

Chris ensured he got a quote out to us short notice over the Christmas period and was very nice to deal with.

Their fee to ship Cassie was approx 1600 GBP, she is a medium sized dog.

Hope all goes well for you.

Old Mar 20th 2004, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Molly. Yep, we're really pleased with the condition Cassie arrived in, still can't imagine what she was thinking on the plane! Great to have her back!

Originally posted by irishmolly
As your own dog was quarantined in Sydney did GA offer to fly her down to Brisbane after and what sort of price did they quote for doing this ?
GA didn't offer to fly her to Bris, but I do know that this is possible, GA could probably advise on the options. We decided to take the opportunity to visit Sydney though as we'd never been before.

Finally, heading back to Brisbane after collecting the dog, as it is a good 12 hour drive did you stop in a hotel on your return route ? can you recommend somewhere which will accept dogs ?
We didn't stop on the way there or back (!!!). It is a long journey, but is possible; we just wanted to get home and as we went through Coffs Harbour (about half way) couldn't have imagined stopping and then carrying on the next day. Steve did most of the driving, but I gave him a break when he needed it. Afterwards was tired from the journey, but it's not as long a journey as the flight over here!! There are plenty of picnic areas to stop at for the dog (and you!), although service stations are not as regular as they are in the UK. Don't know is you know, but the Pacific Highway is nothing like driving on a motorway in the UK, it goes through towns and has traffic lights on it (not to mention the slow speed limits....)!!

Hope all goes well for you!
Old Mar 20th 2004, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

dawn kirbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pet Shipping

Originally posted by ScuntoBris
Having taken quotes from Golden Arrow and Airpets, we decided to use Golden Arrow as we thought they seemed to offer a more personal service (the prices were more or less the same).

Having left it a bit late to book Cassie on her flight, she was unable to fly at the same time as us, however GA were very accommodating and for an extra charge of approx 50p per mile for a return trip they picked her up from my Dad's house. She followed on 2 weeks after us.

When we picked her up from quarantine at Sydney we saw the crate she travelled in, it was a lot larger than we expected and were told it was actually ours if we wanted to take it home with us, however it wouldn't fit in the car.

The quarantine centre were very helpful whenever we called them for an update, we couldn't visit her as we live too far away (Bris). When we picked her up she was in excellent condition, the centre had bathed and groomed her the day before we picked her up and she smelled lovely! She is in good health and none the worse for wear.

interesting to read your messages. we have two airedales to ship, if all goes according to plan. i have looked at the documentation required and the information provided and can't see that a pet shipping agency are absolutely necessary. i'm thinking i could do it myself. any advice? and any idea how much the flight alone (for a dog!) might roughly cost?
Old Mar 20th 2004, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Dawn. Mmmm, I know what you're saying and we looked into it ourselves, however you do have to do things within certain timeframes, get permits within certain times from Brussels and contact Aus (as far as I know, someone else may have done it independantly and be able to advise you better).

I'm afraid I have no idea on flight costs, but I think only British Airways and Qantas do the shipping.

For what the shipping company do for you though I don't think it's a bad price, it includes some standard costs that you have to pay independantly. Also, I wouldn't leave anything to chance with your pet, if they're not in the right condition upon arrival, there could be implications.

I guess my advice would be, if you decide to go independantly, make sure you get all the information right (I know you are probably aware of that!!). It's upto you, but with so many things to think about, it is easier to let someone with experience do this type of thing for you? Perhaps there's someone on here that has done it independantly that could offer some advice....?

Hope this helps, good luck with everything.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

sarbear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,

I have heard many good things about GA, and I certainly intend to get a quote from them.

I already have one from airpets.

Out of intrest how old is cassie? I am taking my lab x GSD to Perth, and she will be 1o by then.

She's in really good health apart from a bit of arthritis.

I am a bit concerned about her age.

Many Thanks

Sarbear
Old Mar 21st 2004, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

dawn kirbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dawn. Mmmm, I know what you're saying and we looked into it ourselves, however you do have to do things within certain timeframes, get permits within certain times from Brussels and contact Aus (as far as I know, someone else may have done it independantly and be able to advise you better).

I'm afraid I have no idea on flight costs, but I think only British Airways and Qantas do the shipping.

For what the shipping company do for you though I don't think it's a bad price, it includes some standard costs that you have to pay independantly. Also, I wouldn't leave anything to chance with your pet, if they're not in the right condition upon arrival, there could be implications.

I guess my advice would be, if you decide to go independantly, make sure you get all the information right (I know you are probably aware of that!!). It's upto you, but with so many things to think about, it is easier to let someone with experience do this type of thing for you? Perhaps there's someone on here that has done it independantly that could offer some advice....?

Hope this helps, good luck with everything.

thanks for that, it would be devestating to get it wrong but i'm also thinking i'd quite like to be completely in control. sound like a control freak there. i have looked at the documentation very carefully and it is very clear and rigorous. but it could just be something else to have to worry about at a rather busy time! i will wait in the hope that there's someone out there with experience..........
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote from Sarbear

Hi ,

I have heard many good things about GA, and I certainly intend to get a quote from them.

Out of intrest how old is cassie? I am taking my lab x GSD to Perth, and she will be 1o by then.

Many Thanks

Sarbear

Hi Sarbear......Golden Arrow are shipping my 2 dogs and2 cats to Sydney for me.

My labrador is 14 years old are I was very worried about the journey. Had a long chat with my vet and he assured me there is no problem.

Sharon

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW DO I PUT IN QUOTES
Old Mar 21st 2004, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sarbear
Out of intrest how old is cassie?
Hi Sarbear. Cassie is 6 (years that is, but we treat her as if she's only 6 weeks!!!). I would agree with Pasquil, consult your vet for their advice.

Good luck.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 10:55 am
Just Joined

sarbear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pasquill
Quote from Sarbear

Hi ,

Many Thanks

Sarbear

Thank you so much sharon,

I am so pleased to hear that someone else is taking a 'middle aged' dog too.

It's one of my biggest worries.

Please could you let me know how yours is when he/she arrives in sydney.

We hope to leave in Oct/Nov.

Many Thanks Sharon

I feel much more reassured now.

Regards Sarbear

Hi Sarbear......Golden Arrow are shipping my 2 dogs and2 cats to Sydney for me.

My labrador is 14 years old are I was very worried about the journey. Had a long chat with my vet and he assured me there is no problem.

Sharon

Old Mar 21st 2004, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Pasquill

Hi Pasquill. Just click on Reply at the top of the message you want to quote instead of Post Reply which is at the bottom.

Old Mar 21st 2004, 11:02 am
Just Joined

DawnBlayney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dawn kirbyshire
interesting to read your messages. we have two airedales to ship, if all goes according to plan. i have looked at the documentation required and the information provided and can't see that a pet shipping agency are absolutely necessary. i'm thinking i could do it myself. any advice? and any idea how much the flight alone (for a dog!) might roughly cost?

Hi Dawn,
We're in Northern Ireland & there aren't any pet shippers over here - I have 1 Bichon Frise & am doing it myself - if you've done the visa I think you'll have no problem. He's smaller than yours, but prices I estimate to be about £900 for the shipping & quarantine. Some of the other posts are correct - Qantas & BA are the shippers and from what I've read, and my own experience BA are better to deal with. The dogs must fly via Singapore on a direct flight (e.g. when it stops for fuel, it's the same plane that then goes to Aus - they don't get off)
You need to apply for an import permit - forms on web - that takes 4-6 weeks to arrive and all the instructions are really clear.
I'm only part way through the process myself but if I can be any help let me know - also the aus quarantine site is helpful, and BA are also helpful -(it's the cargo dept) for advice.
I really think it'll not be a problem it's just following instructions, and even with pet shippers you have to do a lot of it anyway - eg take dog for blood tests etc
All the best to all of you! - Dawn
Old Mar 21st 2004, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pasquill. Just click on Reply at the top of the message you want to quote instead of Post Reply which is at the bottom.

Many thanks...it was driving me mad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.