Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pet Import Permit

Pet Import Permit

Old Jul 7th 2011, 2:20 am
Just Joined

samaritjanka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pet Import Permit

I've tried searching the forum and found some posts from 2007 but nothing recent. The pet import application requires an Australian address/phone but I don't have any friends/family there. Is there any way around it? Someone mentioned using pet transport company's address but I'm not sure yet what company I'd go with, haven't gotten that far yet and it might take a while to do price comparison. There was also a suggestion of calling up a radom vet office and ask their permission to use their address - I'd feel rather weird doing that. From what I understand, I need to apply for permit asap to be able to book quarantine location? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:53 am
Just Joined

MikeSS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pet Import Permit

You will need an Oz address to get an import permit. If you don't have your own address or a friend's/family's to use, then the best solutions are to use a pet shipper's address (handy if you're looking for a delivery after quarantine or a flight for your pet to another part of Oz) or a company address if you are emigrating to a new job (just be sure to give the contact details of someone who knows you are arriving soon!).

I've never heard of using a vet practice, but this might be an option- ultimately it will be the person on the permit who the quarantine service will look to for payment on completion of quarantine, so the vet might not be prepared to take this on.

Good pet shippers to use in Oz are Jetpets and Dogtainers.

And finally it's a chicken and egg situation- you will need an import permit to guarantee your quarantine space and your pet's flight will not be confirmed until the import permit is issued and they can contact the quarantine station for confirmation. You should be able to get a tentative flight booking in the meantime, pending confirmation. If you get the import permit in hand it's valid for 6 months, so you can apply for it quite early in the process. It's important to notice that the Q stations do fill up quickly towards the end of the year and that Perth is the smallest, Sydney is the largest, with Melbourne in the middle.

Similarly with the export permit, you can apply for this well in advance but it won't get sent to the designated vet until around 10 days prior to the flight date. If you don't know the exact date you can either leave this blank (but be sure to inform them as soon as you know) or put an approximate date and update them once it's confirmed.

Old Jul 9th 2011, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks a bunch!
Old Jul 9th 2011, 11:32 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

I used my cousin's address when I moved.... Quarantine send the bill to that address, but you can change the address as soon as you arrive. I believe that you could use a PO box address, but you'd have to make sure that you could. SA post office boxes are less that $100 for the year.
If you want any other help or advice regarding paperwork I'm happy to help. I did all of mine when we took our girl over, PM me anytime!

HTH

Ali
Old Jul 10th 2011, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

The import form says PO box addresses will not be accepted I ended up calling their office and they confirmed they won't even accept the application with a PO Box. Thinking of using a random pet boarding place address at this point...