Pet Export

Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:54 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pet Export

Thanks for all that info Laura.

Can I just ask - how do you know when to take your dog for blood tests etc. etc. Poppy used to love the vets too until she had to get the kennel cough vaccination up her nose!!!! Now she shakes with fear - she also shakes with fear when I frontline her at home and salivates a lot - she is one funny coward of a doggie!!!

Do golden arrow prompt you what to do. I'm not sure when to start or how to start preparing Poppy. Say we plan to go 1st November 2005 when do we book Poppy's flight and book pet shippers/ vet etc.

Poor montu - make sure you fill us in every step of the way.

You are lucky that Montu will be in Melbourne. Poppy will be in sydney (and we are moving to Brisbane) Not sure how I will get a bed to her or visit. Also not sure whether to send Poppy before or after us. I would prefer to send her before but worry incase anything is up and we can't visit.Any ideas anyone?

Sorry to be a big worry wart as usual

Lynn x

ps this is poppy below in her Surfers shirt!!!
Attached Thumbnails Pet Export-poppy1.jpg  
Old Jan 18th 2005, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

suzy a is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hey guys

was just reading this and thought i'd add in my 2 pence worth...

Well as you may know I am using Golden Arrow to ship Montu out, at a cost of £1750, she is booked on a flight for 8th Feb with BA. As we are flying on 30th Jan, she will stay with my parents for 7 days then Steve will pick her up from my mums the day before her flight.

Steve said that she will travel with sreaded paper for bedding as this is best and she can take 1 toy and have an item of clothing with our sent on it in her crate with her. (this will be destroyed upon arrival) I have lots of info on Melbourne quarentine station and they sound very nice and you can visit twice a week.

I took Montu for her blood tests yesturday and her kennel cough vaccine. It was the worst thing ever. Montu loves going to the vets (strange i know) but she is so friendly and as she is only 10 months old she doesnt know of badness yet, as she is so spoilt and papered at home by us.

Anyway, she bounded into the vets and she had to give her paw, which she handed over willingly, then the vet stuck a great big needle in her vien to draw blood. Poor Montu struggled to get away and the needle came out, which the vet said will of hurt her, then another nurse had to come in and hold her while they tried to get another vien, it was awful, her little face was looking at me as if to say, "mummy save me, why are you letting them hurt me" Then she had to have her frontline applied and her kennel cough, by this time she was petrified and was hiding under the couch thinggie. The vet nurse had to hold her and cover her eyes, while they put the kennel cough jab up her nose........aw, im so glad its over, i wish i could explain to her why this was happening, i feel so guilty, hope she loves aus as much as i think she will, so that this has all been worth it.

So what i will do is keep you all updated on what happens next, as i am so soft and i will really tell it like it is.

I know i will be the worst person ever that Melbourne quarentine has had to deal with, i will be there as often as i can wangle and ill be crying everytime i have to leave montu...you never know if i get on their nerves enough they might even release her early LOL....

But seriously, i'll update you all and tell you anything youneed to know, so if you think of any questions just ask and i'll reply as soon as i find out the answers..........

The one good thing is at least we get there before montu and i can take a bed and some toys there ready for her arrival so that its not too bad when she lands, as she will of been apart from us for a week already (which is the longest time ever).

Good luck

laura
xxxx

Hi Laura

Thanks for all the info and I am looking forward to hearing how you all get on. We are going to be using Melbourne Quarantine station too as we are going to Adelaide hopefully in August. I have not called Golden Arrow yet but plan to tomorrow just to get an idea of when to start the ball rolling etc. Did you have to pay for the blood tests etc for Montu ontop of the Golden Arrow charges?? If you did I hope you dont mind me asking how much extra ?

Our dog is a softie too and I am dreading the whole thing!!

Look forward to your updates and good luck with everything

Take Care

Suzy
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:48 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

hi guys

Firstly sorry if i type silly, i have bin drinking champs to celerbrate 457 visas being granted tonight....

yes Montu is a softie, she sleeps in bed with us every night, and is never left alone for long, so God only knows how she will cope without us!

Yes Golden arrow prompt you to do stuff so dont worry, you get sent a schedule for your dog and you have to do everything on the day that it says, you have to have your dogs blood tests done witin 28 days of them flying so as soon as you let them know when you want to fly they will give you a flight date and they can tell you when to test them. You do this at your vets and Golden arrow send you the paper work to take to your vets so they know what to do etc....

You pay for kennel cough, chipping and blood tests on toip of golden arrow fees, i got the chipping done by NCDL when she was a pup for £30, so far the bloods, kennel cough and front line cost £43, but i might have to pay some more when i pick up the testing certificate in 10 days time, so i will let you know that.

Golden arrow, said they will bath her, worm her and check her for flees before she flies on 8th Feb. And there is an extra chrage to pick her up.

I rang GA to sort her out about 6 weekd bfore we were going, i think this was in the nick of time, i would say as long as microchipped start to make plans about 2 moths before, as we are having a panic now, but we had no choice due to curcimstances....

If i could do this again with more time i would have montu fly 2 days after us, then you can have a stop over but still arrive in aus before them, and take stuff to the q station ready for them to arrive. And i know this sounds morbid, but i wanted to make sure i weas there bfore i put her on the plane, as didnt want her stuck in aus without us there etc......just in case anything happended to us.

So if you make sure that poppy is microchipped now and vaccinations up to date, you have a head start and its a lot easier when you call GA to arrange things..........If you are gong in Nov i would call around Aug Sept, just to send off for permit etc...you have to pay £95 upfront for this and send off vaccination certificate, but this comes off your total price, oh and you need to measure her for the crate, but theyu send you all this in the post.

hope this is ok for now and that you can understand my typing as i am v drunk.

PM me if you need me, and anymore q's i am happy to ans...

take care

night night

laura
xxxxx
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

rubybyron is an unknown quantity at this point

I too worry about the comfort for my dog - on the plane - does anybody know where in the plane the keep the animals? I'm assuming there's someone attending to them, maybe not a stewardess serving drinks and peanuts - but checking on them and supplying food and water?
And when it comes to sleeping arrangements - our little darling is used to sleeping between warm 2 bodies in flanell sheets and under a down comforter - the idea of her sleeping on a sack is worrysome - if you can bring bedding to the q. station I'll definitely supply some fleese and flanell! The separation will be hard I think for a dog that's used to constant companionship - actually that goes for me too - I'll be visiting as much as possible.
Overall I'm thinking that the discomfort of the plane trip, and a month at the q.station is less than the alternative of her being left behind with someone else and never seeing us again. Keeping the family together is the only way I could do it, I wouldn't migrate unless we all migrate. Actually, since our dog is an australian cattle dog/blue healer, I guess she'll sort of be returning home.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:39 pm

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubybyron
I too worry about the comfort for my dog - on the plane - does anybody know where in the plane the keep the animals? I'm assuming there's someone attending to them, maybe not a stewardess serving drinks and peanuts - but checking on them and supplying food and water?
And when it comes to sleeping arrangements - our little darling is used to sleeping between warm 2 bodies in flanell sheets and under a down comforter - the idea of her sleeping on a sack is worrysome - if you can bring bedding to the q. station I'll definitely supply some fleese and flanell! The separation will be hard I think for a dog that's used to constant companionship - actually that goes for me too - I'll be visiting as much as possible.
Overall I'm thinking that the discomfort of the plane trip, and a month at the q.station is less than the alternative of her being left behind with someone else and never seeing us again. Keeping the family together is the only way I could do it, I wouldn't migrate unless we all migrate. Actually, since our dog is an australian cattle dog/blue healer, I guess she'll sort of be returning home.
hi

They fly in the hold, at the back of the plane (hold 5 i am told) no-one is there with them, just all animals in seperate crates, the hold is kept at a warm temperature and aparently this makes them drowsy. They are checked over before the crate is sealed and then checked again when the plane lands, they get a full vet check when they arrive at their destination.

I would not worry about the being on the plane, they will just curl up and go to sleep, or so i am told. Its the 30 days i am concerned about, but at least i can see her i suppose!

My pooch is also used to lying in between the 2 of us at night, also under the covers, with her head on a pillow. Think she will get a BIG shock when she stays at Spotswood! POOR GIRL, but there is nothing else i can do apart from not take her and that would be awful, so she just has to go thro it and i have to think that this has to be done and other dogs have gotton thro it.....

Update on her, is that I rang the vets today and I think that they have the blood test results back, they will call me tomorrow and let me know if they are all ok, so fingers x'd. Hopefully I can collect the testing certificate tomorrow and post it to Golden Arrow, then Montu willl be on her way, and I will have a lot less to worry about..........

Just counting down the days till she is in the same counrty with us and i am picking her up from the Q station then it will be all worth it!

hope this helps a bit
laura
xxx
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

dawn kirbyshire is an unknown quantity at this point

its been really interesting to read your posts. i have two airedales to ship and they are soft, pampered fools. i am not intending to use a company because i can't see what they could do that i wouldn't rather do myself. has anyone ever found out how much the airline actually charge for the freight? i've heard its about the same as a passenger ticket. by the way, you can visit the web sites of the quarantine kennels which is quite reassuring. they have pics and facts etc.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by dawn kirbyshire
its been really interesting to read your posts. i have two airedales to ship and they are soft, pampered fools. i am not intending to use a company because i can't see what they could do that i wouldn't rather do myself. has anyone ever found out how much the airline actually charge for the freight? i've heard its about the same as a passenger ticket. by the way, you can visit the web sites of the quarantine kennels which is quite reassuring. they have pics and facts etc.

hi dawn,

not sure how much probably loads cheeper, but i wouldnt know where to start, its stressfull enough to organise our move, without trying to do Montus to, best of luck to you tho if you can do it yourself.

Montus blood tests are back at the vets, all negative (which is good), all i need to do now is pay the vet another £55 for the doing the tests and send them to Golden arrow who will do the rest.

so far its costs....£95 for permit
£43 for kennel cough, frontline certificate and blood tests
£55 for blood testting at the lab
£1650 for montu to get on plane, stay with GA for 3 nights etc...

tHEN ITS $760 WHEN I COLLECT her from the quarentine station in Melbourne, this will be the biggest expense of our move!

I will let you all have an update when i know what happens next about montu!

take care

laura
x
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 5:49 pm

hi dawn,

not sure how much probably loads cheeper, but i wouldnt know where to start, its stressfull enough to organise our move, without trying to do Montus to, best of luck to you tho if you can do it yourself.

Montus blood tests are back at the vets, all negative (which is good), all i need to do now is pay the vet another £55 for the doing the tests and send them to Golden arrow who will do the rest.

so far its costs....£95 for permit
£43 for kennel cough, frontline certificate and blood tests
£55 for blood testting at the lab
£1650 for montu to get on plane, stay with GA for 3 nights etc...

tHEN ITS $760 WHEN I COLLECT her from the quarentine station in Melbourne, this will be the biggest expense of our move!

I will let you all have an update when i know what happens next about montu!

take care

laura
x
Thanks for listing all your costs Laura - Poppy sounds about the same size as Montu so I reckon she will cost about the same. We are keeping up to date with her jabs, drontal and frontline just now so it should be easier nearer the time. She like montu was already microchipped when we got her from the Cardonald cat and dog home (SSPCA) so thats one thing less - for anyone that needs to get their dog microchipped it tends to cost around 30 pounds.

We would like to use Golden arrow too but not sure if thats poss living in Scotland?

You must be getting very excited now!!? The weather should be lovely when you get there!!!

Am dying to know how Montu will get on! Montu sounds even more pampered than Poppy if thats possible Montu's age is a good thing as young dogs tend to take things in their stride. Poppy is only 4 and a half though.

Lynn x
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Thanks for listing all your costs Laura - Poppy sounds about the same size as Montu so I reckon she will cost about the same. We are keeping up to date with her jabs, drontal and frontline just now so it should be easier nearer the time. She like montu was already microchipped when we got her from the Cardonald cat and dog home (SSPCA) so thats one thing less - for anyone that needs to get their dog microchipped it tends to cost around 30 pounds.

We would like to use Golden arrow too but not sure if thats poss living in Scotland?

You must be getting very excited now!!? The weather should be lovely when you get there!!!

Am dying to know how Montu will get on! Montu sounds even more pampered than Poppy if thats possible Montu's age is a good thing as young dogs tend to take things in their stride. Poppy is only 4 and a half though.

Lynn x

Hi Lynn

hope you and poppy r ok.

I would think its still possible for you to use GA, but you would maybe have to meet half way with them to get her picked up as will be a long journey, but that would be the only problem as everything else is done by post, they have to fly from Heathrow anyway so poppy will have to get down there somehow.

Anyway, ill let you know how GA faired up, when it is all over (cant wait).

I hope its right about the age, as Montu is so timid, she submisses to every dog and never fights back, she will be scared if anyone or anything hurts her without her mommy around. Since leaving uni, on the 17th Dec, i have been with her everyday, so the seperation is going to kill both me and Montu, im dreading this so much........but will keep you all as imformed as i can of Montus every move.....bless
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 6:06 pm

Hi Lynn

hope you and poppy r ok.

I would think its still possible for you to use GA, but you would maybe have to meet half way with them to get her picked up as will be a long journey, but that would be the only problem as everything else is done by post, they have to fly from Heathrow anyway so poppy will have to get down there somehow.

Anyway, ill let you know how GA faired up, when it is all over (cant wait).

I hope its right about the age, as Montu is so timid, she submisses to every dog and never fights back, she will be scared if anyone or anything hurts her without her mommy around. Since leaving uni, on the 17th Dec, i have been with her everyday, so the seperation is going to kill both me and Montu, im dreading this so much........but will keep you all as imformed as i can of Montus every move.....bless
poor Montu I am going to be really worried for her too!!! I do reckon in my heart of hearts that she will be fine - dogs will surprise you how easily they can handle things.

Where are GA based? I think you are right - we will just drive her down as its either that or her getting stuck on a domestic flight to Heathrow. I will wait and see how you and Montu get on with GA then I will make my decision. the seem to have the best reviews - I've not read any negative pet threads, have you?

You need to do some last minute confidence boosting training with montu!!! - don't ask me how though!!!

Lynn x
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 6:11 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Laura,
You've put some cracking info on this thread. Everything I had a question about you've answered. I've been on to GA today and they're posting what I need out to me tomorrow. Would love to know how your dog gets on as I'm paranoid just like everyone else. We have a german Sheperd who was a rescue dog and in a very sorry state when we got her, we couldn't possibly leave her incase she ended up in another bad home (nobody we know wants a dog). Keep up the good work darl, your info is invaluable, and I wisk you and your dog all the best on your travels. I feel a spot of karma coming your way.
Marie
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Hi Laura,
You've put some cracking info on this thread. Everything I had a question about you've answered. I've been on to GA today and they're posting what I need out to me tomorrow. Would love to know how your dog gets on as I'm paranoid just like everyone else. We have a german Sheperd who was a rescue dog and in a very sorry state when we got her, we couldn't possibly leave her incase she ended up in another bad home (nobody we know wants a dog). Keep up the good work darl, your info is invaluable, and I wisk you and your dog all the best on your travels. I feel a spot of karma coming your way.
Marie
Hi Marie

They are just like family aren't they?! German Shepards can be quite timid nervous dogs can't they? - how do you think yours will be. Like you I can't wait to hear how Montu gets on!

Have sent you and Laura some karma for also being neurotic dog owners!!!

Lynn
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

suzy a is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Hi Marie

They are just like family aren't they?! German Shepards can be quite timid nervous dogs can't they? - how do you think yours will be. Like you I can't wait to hear how Montu gets on!

Have sent you and Laura some karma for also being neurotic dog owners!!!

Lynn
Hi Lynn

We are from Glasgow too and will be going over to Australia hopefully in August. We are planning to use Golden Arrow to ship our 8 year old Tibetan Terrier to Melbourne. When are you planning to travel??

Suzy
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:07 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Our Cassie was seriously mistreated before we got her. She was made to have pups when she was only a pup herself (she's 2 in March) and she carried them wrong, from what we understand she had to have a cesaraen and puppies died and she became very ill. Her owner became homeless so he and Cassie lived in a small car for a few months. It was actually the owners brother who rescued the dog and contacted us too see if we wanted her-we had recently been in touch with a german sheperd rescue centre but at the time we contacted them they didn't have any young females which is what we wanted, so anyway he contacted us and we drove miles to pick her up. If I said she was underweight when we got her would be an underestimate, she was well skinny, we've had her a year now and she's still not as big as she should be. She is no longer timid and I live on school premises so she gets loads of exercise on playground and field aswell as her walks outside the school grounds. There is no way I could let her live somewhere without us let alone somewhere with a little garden after the amount of space she's used to. She does love going for drives so hopefully she'll be OK but it doesn't stop me worrying, she's never been in kennels and she's a bit spoilt so I don't think she'll do so well in quarantine.
Keep us posted as to how you're doing and I'll do the same.
Karma coming, Marie
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:12 pm
GC family day carer

ps, trying to talk hubby in to letting us take cat too. She was a present to me and born on my 16th birthday, she's coming up for 9 so is getting middle aged mardiness at present and she's not very forgiving. Wer also have relatives that would have her if needs be. She's called Sassy, what with that being her name and Cassie being the dogs name, I'm bound to get forms wrong cos they get called each others names now! I named the cat and the dog was named when we got her, too cruel to change names when they're used to them so we put up with the confusion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.