Reload this Page >

Pet cat in Australia

Pet cat in Australia

Old May 8th 2013, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Amy Golbourn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pet cat in Australia

Hi all,

I am moving to Australia and am due to bring my pet cat. Has anyone taken a cat with them?

If so how has it been with th snakes, I am so worried!!!

Thanks
Old May 8th 2013, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet cat in Australia

Originally Posted by Amy Golbourn
Hi all,

I am moving to Australia and am due to bring my pet cat. Has anyone taken a cat with them?

Thanks
I've seen no less than 10 suburban cats eaten alive by snakes in downtown sydney. Forget the snakes, its the crocs you need to worry about
Old May 8th 2013, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Now I know that's not true because no1 you rarely get crocs in Sydney and number 2 the stats state that there has been 2 suburban cats eaten by snakes in last 20 years.

Has anyone got a realistic replys please? I want to know the truth but not silly replys.

Thanks
Old May 8th 2013, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Oates is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen one snake in five years in Sydney, and that was a small carpet python up a tree at Bobbin Head. I've got a reserve at the back of my house. I expect there are some red bellied blacks there - but they obviously keep themselves to themselves. There are loads of cats in the neighbourhood and none have gone missing as far as I know. Our cat has taken a toll on the local skinks although has studiously ignored the huge blue tongue that lives under the house. I've got a picture of them sitting tail to tail on a rock. She has never brought a snake in. I'm more worried about ticks esp. in the summer.
Old May 8th 2013, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Cats are naturally cluey when it comes to snakes, They'll either take it on and kill it or give it a wide berth. Whereas most dogs will dive straight in.

Heard of lots of dogs getting killed by snakes, but not many cats.

Caviet.... City view point and heresay mostly. You need personal experience from a bush person on this one methinks.

BTW... We've owned cats all our time in Aus, and never once has one encountered a snake in Melbourne AFAIK..... Cockatoos can scare cats thats for sure.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 8th 2013 at 11:02 pm.
Old May 8th 2013, 11:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Now I know that's not true because no1 you rarely get crocs in Sydney and number 2 the stats state that there has been 2 suburban cats eaten by snakes in last 20 years.

Has anyone got a realistic replys please? I want to know the truth but not silly replys.

Thanks
Well if you knew that why did you ask?

And seeing how this is a free public forum, you don't get to decide who replies to your posts. Silly or not.
Old May 9th 2013, 12:00 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
That would be only 2 suburban cats reported eaten by snakes, not necessarily that this was ALL that was actually eaten.

Carpet snakes/pythons can be found in urban areas and they won't turn their nose up at a bit of puddytat.
Old May 9th 2013, 12:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks
Don't bring your cat. Much as I am a "cat person" myself, in Australia they are vermin and kill the native wildlife.
Old May 9th 2013, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

We have a couple of cats and never had a problem either in Darwin or now here in Melbourne x
Old May 9th 2013, 2:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks
Suburban Perth here - although I've very occasionally heard of a dog or cat dying suddenly of suspected snakebite, it seems to be very rare. I suppose there's always a risk, but if they're roaming around enough to be bitten by a snake, they're probably more likely to be run over on the roads.

A bit of well intentioned advice - Aussies like Brits often take the piss, even with serious subjects. There is no malice in it and you're best not getting all indignant
Old May 9th 2013, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

If you bring your cat, keep it indoors, or build a cat run - both to deter it from killing wildlife, and the wildlife from harming the cat. Several cats I know have died or cost thousands in vet bills because of the ticks - which are atm very virulent in Sydney's North Shore. All cats in this state have to be neutered, chipped and registered, and when outside need to wear bells.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Cats are naturally cluey when it comes to snakes, They'll either take it on and kill it or give it a wide berth. Whereas most dogs will dive straight in.

Heard of lots of dogs getting killed by snakes, but not many cats.

Caviet.... City view point and heresay mostly. You need personal experience from a bush person on this one methinks.

BTW... We've owned cats all our time in Aus, and never once has one encountered a snake in Melbourne AFAIK..... Cockatoos can scare cats thats for sure.
Thanks everyone for you advice. I have brought the cat 2 bells for its collar and intend to keep it in of an evening. Our cat here tends not to roam to far from the house but just wanted some advise.

I knew there is risk but didn't know how much as when you read stats and stories online you only ever hear the really bad stuff.

Appreciated
Thanks
Old May 9th 2013, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for you advice. I have brought the cat 2 bells for its collar and intend to keep it in of an evening. Our cat here tends not to roam to far from the house but just wanted some advise.

I knew there is risk but didn't know how much as when you read stats and stories online you only ever hear the really bad stuff.

Appreciated
Thanks
You should be fine, hope you and your cat settle in well.

Biggest danger will be same as the UK.... Cars.

Our cats have hardly ever killed anything, so I think the view re local wildlife is totally overstated. Last thing brought home about 18 months back was a Japanese Mynah bird and they are considered vermin.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciated
Thanks
Same old story Amy, only the sensational stuff gets published. You obviously love and look after your cat so although no one can say for sure that no harm will come to him/her, odds are that everything will be fine. Good luck with your move.
Old May 9th 2013, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

As far as I know you are required to keep cats in over night. We had two, who didn't roam free but instead had an open verandah/cat run thing and then a roof terrace. My kitten used to catch enormous moths and then leave them half fluttering in my shoes. Charmer that he is.

Cats kill the local wildlife (including moths) and I guess might be killed by it, for sure. Don't know anyone that happened to but didn't know many people with cats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.