Pessimists...

Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:08 pm
J0E
Just Joined

J0E is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pessimists...

...do they wonder why they've stayed routed to the same spot for the last 30 years??

Just a tale I wanted to share, which my mum got from an old lass at her local working mens' club...

We're heading for adventure in Queensland at the end of the year cos I'm studying at USQ Uni in Hervey Bay. My mum's 'friend' tells us we shouldn't enter Oz before at least February cos with the summer heat people are dropping like flies and their blood boils in their bodies! We also shouldn't expect too much from Oz because her brother has lived in Melbourne for the past 29 years but has still not managed to establish himself cos there are no jobs or opportunities out there. Also, if I don't pass my studies first time then forget it cos there are so many people waiting to study they'll just chuck us on the first plane outta there!

I don't know what this sweet old dear has done with her life so far, but I'd like to think that by the age of 76 I'd experienced other lifestyles, cultures, careers...chill out luv and get you're ass off that bar stool once in a while to experience life for real!!

Anyone else received this sort of helpful advice?
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pessimists...

Originally posted by J0E
...do they wonder why they've stayed routed to the same spot for the last 30 years??

Just a tale I wanted to share, which my mum got from an old lass at her local working mens' club...

We're heading for adventure in Queensland at the end of the year cos I'm studying at USQ Uni in Hervey Bay. My mum's 'friend' tells us we shouldn't enter Oz before at least February cos with the summer heat people are dropping like flies and their blood boils in their bodies! We also shouldn't expect too much from Oz because her brother has lived in Melbourne for the past 29 years but has still not managed to establish himself cos there are no jobs or opportunities out there. Also, if I don't pass my studies first time then forget it cos there are so many people waiting to study they'll just chuck us on the first plane outta there!

I don't know what this sweet old dear has done with her life so far, but I'd like to think that by the age of 76 I'd experienced other lifestyles, cultures, careers...chill out luv and get you're ass off that bar stool once in a while to experience life for real!!

There may be some wisdom in what she says.
A lot of people died from the heat in Queensland over the summer and it can be very difficult to find work in some places.

It's your life though so do what you think best.

Perhaps she's happy with her lot.
You will find plenty of people in Australia sat on their bar stools or playing the Pokies. They've never been anywhere else either.

Good luck

G
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:24 pm
J0E
Just Joined

J0E is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grayling
There may be some wisdom in what she says.
A lot of people died from the heat in Queensland over the summer and it can be very difficult to find work in some places.

It's your life though so do what you think best.

Perhaps she's happy with her lot.
You will find plenty of people in Australia sat on their bar stools or playing the Pokies. They've never been anywhere else either.

Good luck

G
Cheers for that Grayling, I know there's always another side to the coin. I guess I'm just so optimistic and thirsty for new experiences that I can't understand people standing still in this big wide world - plus I have a weighted coin! Lol.

Joe.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by J0E
Cheers for that Grayling, I know there's always another side to the coin. I guess I'm just so optimistic and thirsty for new experiences that I can't understand people standing still in this big wide world - plus I have a weighted coin! Lol.

Joe.
Different generations JOE

I am stuck in the middle (in my 50's).

I have done a lot of travelling but could not afford it until I was in my 40's and the boys finished Uni.
It was also very difficult to travel when I was younger.
I was offered a job in NZ over 30 years ago but, in those days it meant weeks in a boat (it was cheap though ).
It was literally the other side of the world

I don't think 'youngsters' (sorry, showing my age) realise how difficult and expensive travel used to be.

Airfares have only become relatively affordable in the last few years.

Still good luck to all those who have the chance now.

Best wishes

G
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:57 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by J0E

I get all this from my nan (bless her), shes housebound and doesn't go anywhere but you would be amazed at the amount of people she still manages to meet who HATE Australia, I just nod and agree with her as you can't argue with some people.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 1:25 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the 'youngsters' do realise how things used to be. Everyone was brought up in their own time and things are always therefore going to differ.

I would take with a pinch of salt anything that anyone else says who hasn't pushed their own boundaries very far.

And I know theres people who choose that way of life, but a lot of them do spend a hell of a lot of time moaning about it don't they. No one ever changed anything by sitting on their arse!

Marko
Old Jun 7th 2004, 1:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by phyonics
I think the 'youngsters' do realise how things used to be. Everyone was brought up in their own time and things are always therefore going to differ.

I would take with a pinch of salt anything that anyone else says who hasn't pushed their own boundaries very far.

And I know theres people who choose that way of life, but a lot of them do spend a hell of a lot of time moaning about it don't they. No one ever changed anything by sitting on their arse!

Marko
You are probably right Marko.
From my own experience and with hindsight I wish I had gone through this process when I was in my 20's or 30's rather than at my ripe old age.
My only advantage is in being relatively well off but it can be quite comfortable to stay with familiarity as well.
I have as much to lose by migrating as I have to gain whereas when I was younger I would have been more 'hungry'.
I have never moaned about my situation though and also do not understand those who do.

G