Pesky critters

Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:53 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pesky critters

These things are really annoying me

I must get rid of at least half a dozen a day.

I don't think they're harmful but they are too easy to squish and make a mess of the carpet

any ideas how to stop them coming in?
Attached Thumbnails Pesky critters-imag0719.jpg  
Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:48 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pesky critters

You have chosen to live in Adelaide - millipedes are a fact of life. Learn to live with them.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Somehow I knew before even reading the message what this was going to be about! It's those pesky Portugese Millipedes....

They are just as much a nuisance in WA too. Come out after heavy bouts of rain. Live in damp areas, like compost. I swept up another lot from the patio today and we have a few indoors, slowly making their way to....nowhere. It seems that they are attracted by light. Once indoors of course they can't find any food or water, and just dry out and die. They're harmless but a nuisance. Don't swash them when picking up, they ooze some yucky substance which stains and smells. Birds won't eat them hence the large numbers everywhere and there are no natural predators. Plenty of info if you do a Google search.

You can get around your house sprayed, but it washes away in the rain. I have sprayed inside the patio area, window sills and garage to limit the numbers coming inside but have to reapply each time it rains. I've been using an insect surface spray with Propoxur as the main ingredient but am on my last can and can't find any more in the shops. I can't remember where, but a website said that was the right thing to use to kill them. Otherwise another suggestion was an outdoor trap - bury a large washed yogurt tub at ground level with a cheap outdoor solar light on a spike next to it. The things are attracted by the light, fall in the yogurt tub and can't get out.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 10:32 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacqui
Somehow I knew before even reading the message what this was going to be about! It's those pesky Portugese Millipedes....

They are just as much a nuisance in WA too. Come out after heavy bouts of rain. Live in damp areas, like compost. I swept up another lot from the patio today and we have a few indoors, slowly making their way to....nowhere. It seems that they are attracted by light. Once indoors of course they can't find any food or water, and just dry out and die. They're harmless but a nuisance. Don't swash them when picking up, they ooze some yucky substance which stains and smells. Birds won't eat them hence the large numbers everywhere and there are no natural predators. Plenty of info if you do a Google search.

You can get around your house sprayed, but it washes away in the rain. I have sprayed inside the patio area, window sills and garage to limit the numbers coming inside but have to reapply each time it rains. I've been using an insect surface spray with Propoxur as the main ingredient but am on my last can and can't find any more in the shops. I can't remember where, but a website said that was the right thing to use to kill them. Otherwise another suggestion was an outdoor trap - bury a large washed yogurt tub at ground level with a cheap outdoor solar light on a spike next to it. The things are attracted by the light, fall in the yogurt tub and can't get out.
Thanks for that Jacqui
Old Nov 9th 2012, 10:50 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Ants in the car....milipedes in the house. What next???

Those milipedes apparantly know where the S.A. / Vic. border is. They are very prevalent in Naracoorte but not much further east.

But they are harmless luckily.

Look at Raven doorstrips for sealing main doors at the bottom. Keeps the huntsmen out as well. Make sure all your flyscreens fit properly. Difficult in a rental I know.

Mortein surface spray is quite good.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 12:15 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Plastic cup. Plastic spoon.

Flick said pesky critter into cup with spoon and relocate outside.

No squish.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Plastic cup. Plastic spoon.

Flick said pesky critter into cup with spoon and relocate outside.

No squish.
Am I really brave or stupid? I just pick them up in my hand!
Old Nov 10th 2012, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

They seem to form plagues during periods of above average rainfall and humidity. They are very prevalent in central Victoria and large parts of the country from what I've heard.

They curl up into a ball when touched or threatened in any way and can then be easily picked up and removed or even just flicked out the door. It's hard though when you have a procession of them in your house.

The last few years have been one of the wettest such periods on record over most of Eastern Australia so they came out in force. Most of the time they are in much smaller numbers.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 11:59 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Am I really brave or stupid? I just pick them up in my hand!
Maybe.