Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - will somebody please cheer me up!

Perth - will somebody please cheer me up!

Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - will somebody please cheer me up!

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
Oh and just to add another point Australia now has the biggest gap between an average salary and average priced house which makes buying a home (on a par with one in the UK) out of reach of most people.
Come to the King's Park meet on the 25th and get to know some people. There will be lots of kids for your little one to play with and you and your Mrs can do some networking - jobs & friends. Take a look in the meetups for it.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Have a 6 month lease on a house as well and stuff is docking tomorrow so we cant even up sticks and try somewhere else now. Basically unless I get a job soon we're off back to blighty come Feb/March time and frankly I'm hoping I dont get a job.
Why cant you up sticks and go somewhere else? You can put your stuff into storage for a while, you can easily break the lease (a lot of people do, us included!!). Can you afford to maybe have a bit of a break, have a holiday around the state, or even take a trip to other states to suss out the work situation.

Or like someone else said, maybe start in a slightly different IT area and work your way back into what you want to do? I've certainly found it's a lot of "who" you know rather than "what" you know, so if you start mixing in the IT circles something better will probably come along.

Good luck
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bridie
Why cant you up sticks and go somewhere else? You can put your stuff into storage for a while, you can easily break the lease (a lot of people do, us included!!). Can you afford to maybe have a bit of a break, have a holiday around the state, or even take a trip to other states to suss out the work situation.

Or like someone else said, maybe start in a slightly different IT area and work your way back into what you want to do? I've certainly found it's a lot of "who" you know rather than "what" you know, so if you start mixing in the IT circles something better will probably come along.

Good luck
I thought we may get black listed or someting and struggle to find rental homes in the future? We've also already paid 5 months in advance but maybe we can talk to the agent and see what we can do.

We've also got to way up if we do go east what if I struggle to get job there after the expense of moving again.

We're in a right pickle!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Your ok to break lease earlyer everyone does it, we have done it 3 times now over the last few years. They will charge you readvertising fees, rent until new tenant is found maybe a small admin break lease fee. All together though its not to bad.

The only way you get blacklsted here is if u dont pay rent and disappear
Old Nov 15th 2007, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future

I thought we may get black listed or someting and struggle to find rental homes in the future? We've also already paid 5 months in advance but maybe we can talk to the agent and see what we can do.

We've also got to way up if we do go east what if I struggle to get job there after the expense of moving again.

We're in a right pickle!
You will find the commute a lot better from Scarborough. We are in wembley Downs and my husband gets the bus into the CBD everyday - it takes about 20-25 mins. He is also in the IT industry, he had no major problems getting a job (in fact we came on a reccie and he arranged some interviews whilst we were here and went back with 2 job offers in writing). We only arrived in January and are still in the 'are we mad' phase but it is getting better and easier.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 1:15 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Move to Brisbane. We have put a few job adds for Java/J2EE, you can count the number of applicants on one hand, you can count the number of decent applicants on an amputees hand

I am a J2EE/Java Developer which is on the skills in demand list, but the demand sounds like its over on the east coast.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Originally Posted by themerlin
Move to Brisbane. We have put a few job adds for Java/J2EE, you can count the number of applicants on one hand, you can count the number of decent applicants on an amputees hand

I had a post similar to your a few weeks ago (I live in Perth too) - I'm still struggling along (as you do).

I reckon it's a bit of homesickness you have. Work is very different over here - and they seem to have different natures to us Brits - which makes me feel less confident (can anyone relate to that??). That's my personal feeling but do you know what - you go and sock it to them!!! Dont let them steel your personality. Stick up for yourself and the skills that you do have cos they are worthy - that's why Australia is looking for so many of us.

Hope everything works out okay.

Laura
Old Nov 15th 2007, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

We're in a right pickle!
What about taking a long holiday over east? Spend a bit of time investigating in the other states, see if you like it over there etc.

No, you won't get blacklisted, we didnt even get charged anything when we broke our leases. Both times we paid rent up front in full, first one was for six months but after three I'd had enough of where we were so we got a rental on the estate we were building. We paid 12 months up front but broke the lease four months before it was due to end. Both times we got back all the rent for the period we wouldnt be in the property and neither time paid anything towards advertising or anything, plus got our deposits back in full. At the end of the day, even if they sting you for advertising and what not they should still give you the rent back once the new tenants are in and will be worth it in the long run...
Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Flies will get better - tends to be bad up to Christmas.

Amazulu's comment about the heat is not completely true.
The other day when it was forecast 39 (38 in the end?) was the fifth warmest Nov day ever.

It doesn't get much warmer than this - last year tops was 41 or 42 and this was only for about 7 days in total. But it will be more consistently in teh 3os in Jan and Feb.

I personally don't think Perth is as amazing as some others seem to think. It is a very nice, relaxing lifestyle though and once you are settled in I'm sure you will enjoy it. Rental upheaval never helps.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a J2EE/Java Developer which is on the skills in demand list, but the demand sounds like its over on the east coast.
What agencies have you been speaking to ? Have you gone in to meet the agents in person ? Java/J2EE is not a common as it was a year ago [apparently it costs too much compared to .NET], but I'm sure the jobs are out there [I got called by an agent about some work last week]. There IS a development shortage in Perth, good people with varied experience are VERY rare.

Seek currently has 3 pages of java jobs in Perth [ok some of them are repeats].

I just find it hard to believe that a java/J2ee developer has been in perth for this time and DOESNT have a job offer - it doesn't match with what I am hearing.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:39 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Amongst my friends and family back in the UK I'm known as very outgoing, positive and never let anything defeat me..... but arriving in Perth 5 weeks ago I think this has been the biggest mistake ever. I've tried my hardest not to be negative.... but....

1) If your in IT (Software developer) like me job prospects are not that great. You would think thats my fault for not researching the market but I did and sadly promises by agents etc of a booming ecomony just are not true once your here. Your fine if you want to work down a mine though.

2) The great outdoor life paradox. Yes the climate is good but its too hot 11 - 4 so unless you want skin cancer its best to stay indoors.

3) Similar to point 2 its unbearable being outside due to the 500 billion flies, going to cafes/beach/park is just stressful after 15 minutes.

4) Part of the reason for coming was for better work/life balance so not having an hour commute was going to be nice. Again the traffic here and passenger loads on public transport mean just as long commutes added to the extra working hours I would be spending less time with my family.

Now I have another 20 things to have a pommy whinge about but I'll stop here just because I cant be arsed moaning anymore. Have a 6 month lease on a house as well and stuff is docking tomorrow so we cant even up sticks and try somewhere else now. Basically unless I get a job soon we're off back to blighty come Feb/March time and frankly I'm hoping I dont get a job.

Now can someone please tell me I'm just being home sick or something and I'll start feeling better soon.
1) If your in IT (Software developer) like me job prospects are not that great. You would think thats my fault for not researching the market but I did and sadly promises by agents etc of a booming ecomony just are not true once your here. Your fine if you want to work down a mine though.

hey dont give in,its been hard for me,and other brickies i know..its no easy ride here,were also supposed to be in demand...but hey it will come for us....and it will for you..no one is going to knock on your door and give you a job..pick yourself up and go get em...

2) The great outdoor life paradox. Yes the climate is good but its too hot 11 - 4 so unless you want skin cancer its best to stay indoors.

hey its not that bad,stay in the shade..under a tree...

3) Similar to point 2 its unbearable being outside due to the 500 billion flies, going to cafes/beach/park is just stressful after 15 minutes.

try areoguard spray heaps of it all over they hate it...

4) Part of the reason for coming was for better work/life balance so not having an hour commute was going to be nice. Again the traffic here and passenger loads on public transport mean just as long commutes added to the extra working hours I would be spending less time with my family.

oh well,such is life...

come to the kings park meet,have a few beers and talk to some other people in the same boat,it might make you feel better...
well sit under a tree together if you want and you can have some of my spray...

i hope it works out for you,,im sure it will

ast
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:50 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
What agencies have you been speaking to ? Have you gone in to meet the agents in person ? Java/J2EE is not a common as it was a year ago [apparently it costs too much compared to .NET], but I'm sure the jobs are out there [I got called by an agent about some work last week]. There IS a development shortage in Perth, good people with varied experience are VERY rare.

Seek currently has 3 pages of java jobs in Perth [ok some of them are repeats].

I just find it hard to believe that a java/J2ee developer has been in perth for this time and DOESNT have a job offer - it doesn't match with what I am hearing.
I have met up with 4 different agents and all seem impressed with my skills, and were saying I'd have a job offer within a week. It hasn't quite worked out that way, I met up with some other java developers the other night who gave me the impression that basically in the room were all the java devs in Perth and there wasn't much going on at the moment, but that all might change really quickly so again fingers crossed
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aston man
1) come to the kings park meet,have a few beers and talk to some other people in the same boat,it might make you feel better...
well sit under a tree together if you want and you can have some of my spray...

i hope it works out for you,,im sure it will

ast
I will take you up on that offer

I'm actually a lot better today, My mrs thinks it was my time of the month We met up with some people at Hillarys today and it was just nice to talk to people which put things in perspective, we could be doing a lot worse

looking forward to meeting up.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

I lived 12 years in Perth, and finally left for all the reasons you cited - Heat, Flies, Commute (I lived too far out of Perth city) - But look up my earlier posts here and you will see I got shot down in flames for daring to say Perth isn't the best place in Australia.

Come to Tassie, the weather is milder, everything is close by, they are screaming out for trained workers, we have flies but they are big fat ones and you only get a few, rather than loads of little sticky ones - and that's BS about them disappearing after a few weeks, they hang around ALL Summer.
Just try walking to the beach past all the dog dung on the side of the tracks on a day with no breeze and see how many flies you get on you!

Oh and Tassie has trees and green fields! and cheaper housing too!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Teabag
and that's BS about them disappearing after a few weeks, they hang around ALL Summer.
Not here they dont

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.