Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - will somebody please cheer me up!

Perth - will somebody please cheer me up!

Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - will somebody please cheer me up!

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
I have met up with 4 different agents and all seem impressed with my skills, and were saying I'd have a job offer within a week. It hasn't quite worked out that way, I met up with some other java developers the other night who gave me the impression that basically in the room were all the java devs in Perth and there wasn't much going on at the moment, but that all might change really quickly so again fingers crossed
The time of year doesn't help you - it gets quiet towards xmas unfortunately. You seem to have done everything required to get started. There was a large project at BankWest for the last year or two that was hoovering up people but that has ramped down now.

Out of curiosity, have you spoken to these agents : Robert Walters, Talent and PIC ?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

I'm sure it will all come right for you, and living in scarborough should make it impossible to feel too down Making new friends makes things a lot better, although I think I keep scaring people off
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamiefrod
Iand living in scarborough should make it impossible to feel too down
Have to disagree, Scarborough is a dump. Sorry.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozchick
OK, my reply was far from cheery so here are the things I am looking forward to the most - in no particular order.

1. Walking along the beach before going to work, or as the sun sets.
2. Trigg Island Cafe and the Blue Duck - I hope to goodness they still exist.
3. Picnics in Kings Park.
4. Fish and Chips on the South Perth or Nedlands Foreshore.
5. Test matches at the WACA.
6. The Left Bank and Little Creatures Brewery
7. Karrinyup Shopping Centre
8. Watching my nephews play cricket and football on Saturday mornings
9. Drinking really cold beer!!
10. Amberley Estate Chenin Blanc
11. The Re Store
12. Watching the Australia Day Fireworks from somewhere apart from the South Perth foreshore or city side!!
13. A summer that lasts longer than a few months, and a winter that only lasts a few months.
14. Kookaburras
15. Watching the yachts on The Swan - although I'd rather be on one.
16. Weekends 'down south'
17. Weekends 'up north'

I could keep going but the main thing will be spending time with my family and watching my little girls grow up with all her cousins.

hope that's helped cheer you up
cheers ozchick this is now our "things to do" list.....except stalking your nephews (obviously)
Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by renth
The beach is lovely tho
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamiefrod
The beach is lovely tho
True, lovely beach. Just make sure you are a really strong swimmer who knows how to handle rips because it is a notoriously dangerous beach.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Yeah it is. I'm glad it's going to be redeveloped.

Tear it down, start again.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice

Things will get better, they always do. I remember my first move from the Uk to Asia. Granted I had a job but the difference in climate, lifestyle, work ethic and culture in general was such a shock. The funny thing at the time is I didnt realise that everyone must give themselves time to adjust to a new culture. You might think that Australia is the same as the Uk but tho it has a similar Anglo-Amer background its a totally different culture in many respects. Its natural to go through a downturn when you move from one country to another and job hunting is not a pleasant task at best. Give yourself some time and you will make it!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:52 am
Just Joined

alexw is an unknown quantity at this point

You will probably find the reason there aren't many jobs at the moment is because its 6 weeks from Christmas. I know people who have had problems getting IT jobs in Sydney at this time of year.

Why not go travelling backpacker style until the new year - you won't spend much more than you are now and you will get to see lots of Oz.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 4:43 am
Just Joined

SPLINTER is an unknown quantity at this point

Just been on IT SEEK.COM and thought this may be of use to you.

http://it.seek.com.au/jobsearch/?Dat...tindustry=1215

I have just recently finished my MCP and plan to do my MCDST next week,then A+ certs'.The institution I trained with told our class that 86% of most jobs in the IT sector are never advertised, you have to be willing to send resumes to companies and tell them you are interested in working for them. Do some research.
I just moved here 4 months ago and I am seeking work in IT because I don't want to want in factories anymore. I too am struggling with the weather,but the thought of pissing rain for the next 7 months in the UK just makes me want to make this work even more so. You are not alone....

Good luck mate.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 4:44 am
Just Joined

SPLINTER is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry forgot to say I am a Perth inhabitant and I effin' love it here!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all

BristolBeary - you are starting to worry me as i'm in IT and waiting for our Visa to move to Perth next year.
Do you have any skills from before you became a Java programmer that you could freshen up on?

Do you happen to know what the prospects are like for Oracle PL/SQL developers with some VB & VBA and Oracle Apex skills?

I've looked on Seek and there are jobs but not as many as last time I looked - is it just a bad time for recruitment in Perth season-wise as it's the worst time in the UK for recruitment due to coming up to the new year?
EDIT: Just seen Hoofie's post about the time of year, seems to be the same as the UK then in terms of pre-xmas recruitment.

Rob
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:06 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Well, I`m from Perth and I've always said it's not the most exciting place on earth (or even in Australia).... but it depends what you're into (Castles and history in my case.... bit sparse in Australia).

But you need to go wherever the best job prospects are, and then make your own friends and fun. Houses won't cost much more anywhere else in Aus than they do in Perth right now.

If you want a job doing normal web stuff (xhtml/css/actionscript) chuck us a pm.

So, what time and where is this Kings Park meet?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Hi BristolBeary, I hope you are feeling better today. 5 weeks is not a long time to be here and I think it a bit soon to start thinking about moving again. We have just only had all our stuff delivered on Monday and I definitely feel better not living in an empty house and sleeping on a blow up bed anymore. My OH is working for an agency at the moment and he is really bored doing it but it is just temporary until he finds what he wants and it is just to pay the bills.

The kings park meet up is on Sunday 25th November at 12pm at the playground by a cafe apparently. I have not been there for years, but the details are on a thread in the meet up section. We have been here for 6 weeks and are going as are friends of ours. It should be a good day.

Sarah
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:07 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mad.chef

The kings park meet up is on Sunday 25th November at 12pm at the playground by a cafe apparently. I have not been there for years, but the details are on a thread in the meet up section. We have been here for 6 weeks and are going as are friends of ours. It should be a good day.

Sarah
Yes we will be going and are looking forward to it. I've been promised beer and some speical spray to keep the flies away so cant possible pass that up

Today has been the best day so far, we brought a car, found out are shiping will be ready for our move in date, and have been getting help finding a job by some nice members on here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.