Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth to Whyalla

Perth to Whyalla

Old Sep 11th 2012, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice
Default Perth to Whyalla

I've been working in Perth, waiting for a rail project to start which has been canned what with this little recession thing. I've been offered work from my company in a mine in Whyalla, in SA. Has anyone been, does anyone live there who can tell me what it is like? There will be myself, my wife and 18 month old boy.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:44 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth to Whyalla

Whyalla is an industrial town with the steelworks being the major industry: the steelworks makes rail (it used to be called the BHP Long Products Division) and gets its iron ore from the mines in the area which were the reason for the town being founded in the first place back in 1901. It is the third largest town (city) in South Australia with a population around 25,000 and has all the usual facilities. When I was working there 22 years ago (bringing the gas pipeline into the steelworks) it had a high percentage of pensioners (unemployed, single parent, etc) living in Housing Commission accommodation as there was a surplus of housing dating back to the closure of the shipyards which used to be a major industry until shipbuilding collapsed in Australia in the 70's.

It is conveniently located to access all the attractions of the Eyre Peninsular and the Flinders Ranges. The town itself wasn't much when I was there, but like all similar towns I expect it has improved since (Broken Hill is a similar example).

I expect (and hope) you will be happy there
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Whyalla is an industrial town with the steelworks being the major industry: the steelworks makes rail (it used to be called the BHP Long Products Division) and gets its iron ore from the mines in the area which were the reason for the town being founded in the first place back in 1901. It is the third largest town (city) in South Australia with a population around 25,000 and has all the usual facilities. When I was working there 22 years ago (bringing the gas pipeline into the steelworks) it had a high percentage of pensioners (unemployed, single parent, etc) living in Housing Commission accommodation as there was a surplus of housing dating back to the closure of the shipyards which used to be a major industry until shipbuilding collapsed in Australia in the 70's.

It is conveniently located to access all the attractions of the Eyre Peninsular and the Flinders Ranges. The town itself wasn't much when I was there, but like all similar towns I expect it has improved since (Broken Hill is a similar example).

I expect (and hope) you will be happy there
Sounds like Middlesbrough
Old Sep 12th 2012, 7:50 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

This is all I know about Whyalla

http://youtu.be/hZboCxbTzHk?t=1m38sbb29b548
Old Sep 12th 2012, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Thanks for your replies guys. My work are sending me over on 2nd Oct for a look-see with the Mrs. I think we will give it a go, the very worst that can happen is that we don't like and we move elsewhere. Nothing lost as work are paying for it, they are paying me a bit more generously than they are already for being there. It will give us a chance to see a bit more of Australia if nothing else!
Old Sep 12th 2012, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
This is all I know about Whyalla

http://youtu.be/hZboCxbTzHk?t=1m38sbb29b548
I do not thank you for what you have just subjected me to!!
Old Sep 13th 2012, 4:49 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
I do not thank you for what you have just subjected me to!!

Old Sep 13th 2012, 10:20 am
Banned

Edric is an unknown quantity at this point

I don,t know about this matter but I want to know about this .So please tell me about this
Old May 26th 2013, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Just thought I would update....I am at work on a Sunday afternoon. We are really trying, but Whyalla is awful! There is nothing to do, it is hot and dusty, the beach is full of seaweed, there is no surf. It is miles away from anywhere. If you come across this post while doing an internet search for making a decision on coming to Whyalla - don't do it! Apparently it is good for fishing.
Old May 26th 2013, 4:46 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would update....I am at work on a Sunday afternoon. We are really trying, but Whyalla is awful! There is nothing to do, it is hot and dusty, the beach is full of seaweed, there is no surf. It is miles away from anywhere. If you come across this post while doing an internet search for making a decision on coming to Whyalla - don't do it! Apparently it is good for fishing.
Oh dear doesn't sound good Lee - hopefully something else will come along soon. What do you do?
Old May 26th 2013, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

I was in Civils now in mining looking after Commercial stuff. The job is great to be fair, working for a good company who brought me to Oz. Brought me to Whyalla when the civil downturn started temporarily, but it is getting worse! I see you're in Adelaide, we really like Adelaide but the 4 hour each way drive gets a bit much especially with a 2 year old stuck in the car seat in the back the poor lad! We have a new baby due very soon to keep us busy for the meantime coming along in the next couple of weeks but I can't stay here too much longer!
Old May 26th 2013, 5:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Civils now in mining looking after Commercial stuff. The job is great to be fair, working for a good company who brought me to Oz. Brought me to Whyalla when the civil downturn started temporarily, but it is getting worse! I see you're in Adelaide, we really like Adelaide but the 4 hour each way drive gets a bit much especially with a 2 year old stuck in the car seat in the back the poor lad! We have a new baby due very soon to keep us busy for the meantime coming along in the next couple of weeks but I can't stay here too much longer!
So are you on a temp visa then?
Old May 26th 2013, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Yes on 457. Just applying for sponsored PR when wife got pregnant but can't do the medicals due to the required X-ray. We plan to resume it after the baby is born.
Old May 26th 2013, 5:24 am

Yes on 457. Just applying for sponsored PR when wife got pregnant but can't do the medicals due to the required X-ray. We plan to resume it after the baby is born.
Well good luck, and good luck with the baby