Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Vs Brisbane

Perth Vs Brisbane

Old Nov 14th 2003, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all
Question Perth Vs Brisbane

Just before we left the U.K. we were in two minds as to whether to go to Perth or Brisbane. We went to Brisbane because we knew some people there and it seemed to be the place to go.

We have now been here 3 months. The weather has been fantastic with lots of sunny days and clear blue skies. We've bought a really lovely house on a large plot although on the outskirts of town. We both have jobs. Diana loves her job but I have only just been offered a post and have yet to start. BUT we can't help feeling a bit discontented because we find that Brisbane is a large sprawl of suburbs and we have to drive hours to get to the beach and work.

We were wondering whether Perth might suit us better i.e. be a little more compact and smaller in size and more beach orientated. Oh and by the way we are very keen squash players and find that the squash clubs in Brisbane are not up to much if you can find one.

Any views of Brisbane vs Perth for a young family with two boys ages 12 and 9 would be gratefully received.

Patrick (Diana's husband)
Old Nov 14th 2003, 9:33 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perth Vs Brisbane

Originally posted by PADDAD
Just before we left the U.K. we were in two minds as to whether to go to Perth or Brisbane. We went to Brisbane because we knew some people there and it seemed to be the place to go.

We have now been here 3 months. The weather has been fantastic with lots of sunny days and clear blue skies. We've bought a really lovely house on a large plot although on the outskirts of town. We both have jobs. Diana loves her job but I have only just been offered a post and have yet to start. BUT we can't help feeling a bit discontented because we find that Brisbane is a large sprawl of suburbs and we have to drive hours to get to the beach and work.

We were wondering whether Perth might suit us better i.e. be a little more compact and smaller in size and more beach orientated. Oh and by the way we are very keen squash players and find that the squash clubs in Brisbane are not up to much if you can find one.

Any views of Brisbane vs Perth for a young family with two boys ages 12 and 9 would be gratefully received.

Patrick (Diana's husband)
First thing i would say is that i believe the weather (if thats important to you), is far better in Bris on the whole. Yes its pretty humid and wet in summer, but the winter is far better than the Perth winter.

I did'nt even get a chance to look into Perth! My wife (an aussie) and I were sitting around a couple of years ago talking about where we might end up in oz. I suggested looking at Perth...and she turned it down flat there and said "are you kidding, its in the middle of nowhere" ! That left us with a choice of Adelaide or Bris for our initial home.

I know it would'nt solve your squash problem....but what about checking out other parts of Bris. The bayside suburbs for example (some of them) are pretty close to the coast and have a good public transport system.

Whereabouts are you now? (not trying to be nosey, honest )
Old Nov 14th 2003, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Originally posted by PeteY
First thing i would say is that i believe the weather (if thats important to you), is far better in Bris on the whole. Yes its pretty humid and wet in summer, but the winter is far better than the Perth winter.

I did'nt even get a chance to look into Perth! My wife (an aussie) and I were sitting around a couple of years ago talking about where we might end up in oz. I suggested looking at Perth...and she turned it down flat there and said "are you kidding, its in the middle of nowhere" ! That left us with a choice of Adelaide or Bris for our initial home.

I know it would'nt solve your squash problem....but what about checking out other parts of Bris. The bayside suburbs for example (some of them) are pretty close to the coast and have a good public transport system.

Whereabouts are you now? (not trying to be nosey, honest )

Unfortunately my wife didn't like the Bayside I think because she found it a bit flat and featureless, properties were a bit more expensive and she's not keen on Queenslanders. I would like to have given Manly a go because I used to windsurf but I certainly couldn't afford to live there.

We are living in Bellbowrie on the south west side of Brisbane. We chose Bellbowrie because my wife was keen on the space and found a house that she fell in love with.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 4:11 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Patrick,

As you are probably aware we are in Perth. We haven't been to Brisbane so can't offer any comparisons.

Perth City has lots of surrounding suburbs with beach access about 20-30mins in a car, some suburbs obviously closer and others further away.

Stretching into the North Metro area there is the city of Joondalup with has many suburbs which are a walking distance from the beach, such as Ocean Reef where Renth lives, Mindarie where Loopy lives. If you PM them, they may give you more of an idea what it is like to live in those places. Other posters are in the Hills, and many are South of Perth in Port Kennedy and Mandurah.These all have suburbs close to the beach, but you may also find this flat and featureless.

One man's meat etc...

There are some lovely country towns but the heat of the summer and the poor job opportunities make them off limits for many people.

If you want any info on areas; house prices; employment etc I would be glad to help where I can. Have you got any ideas what areas you want to look at when you come over?(as you stated in your other post)

As for squash one link is www.kensingtonsquash.com.au which is near where we live in South Perth. (we don't play)

A quick look in the phone directory shows lots of squash courts etc all over, but no idea of clubs you could email the Kensington club and ask them.

Good luck

Last edited by Jirrupin; Nov 15th 2003 at 4:13 am.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Is there some way at least one of you could go over to Perth for a look, www.virginblue.com.au has brought the cost of fares way down $600 should cover it. Perth seems to either grab people or not, I have not been there but my OZ husband was out of there as soon as he could, his brother lasted just three weeks. I think with Perth you need to get the job opportunities well sorted out.

As for Brisbane, if you are beach people probably picking the Western suburbs was a bit hasty, could you not afford to move closer to the Bay or the highway to make the trip to the beach a bit easier. Some of the Southern parts of Bris are only 45 mins to the gold coast. Similar with North and Sun Coast As for suburban sprawl, thats going to be any OZ City, its just the way the population is all jammed up together.

Youve been here a few months now, perhaps the day to day feeling is setting in, dont be too hasty in chucking in a life here that includes 2 jobs.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 5:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The Bloke suggests maybe try the Ipswich area for squash clubs as it may be closer?
Old Nov 15th 2003, 5:30 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

If I had wanted to be close to the beach &/or close to squash courts/clubs ie infrastructure & sports facilities, Bellbowrie would have been the last place on my list of "to buy"s!

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Nov 15th 2003 at 5:44 am.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Everyone

Thank you all for your responses which I found very helpful.

Donna and Chris I shall look into the Kensingtonsquash link.

Dotty thanks for the tip on flights and yes I suppose we were a bit hasty with buying our house. Unfortunately when we arrived in August the market was very hot and good properties in our price range were far and few between and rising rapidly. One of the reasons we ended up at Bellbowrie was because the estate agent brought us here despite having told him that we wanted to live in Kenmore. Unfortunately my wife fell in love with the house and there was no going back.

Having said all that Bellbowrie does have some plus points in that we back on to a very good school and the area we live in is quiet and pretty. Yes it is going to be a pain commuting into the CBD like so many of the western suburbs. My wife didn't like the suburbs we saw close to the trains.

Sean is due to start high school next year and this may be a good time for us to move to a more convenient location. I am keeping my eye on Kenmore and The Gap. Even if we move to somewhere in the bay like Wynnum (Manly is too expensive) we would still be a good trek from Caloundra or Burleigh Heads. Plus the fact that my wife really did not take to Wynnum.

I have played at one of the Ipswich squash clubs and the courts were pretty bad. The club itself wasn't too bad and I may persevere.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone

Thank you all for your responses which I found very helpful.

Donna and Chris I shall look into the Kensingtonsquash link.

Dotty thanks for the tip on flights and yes I suppose we were a bit hasty with buying our house. Unfortunately when we arrived in August the market was very hot and good properties in our price range were far and few between and rising rapidly. One of the reasons we ended up at Bellbowrie was because the estate agent brought us here despite having told him that we wanted to live in Kenmore. Unfortunately my wife fell in love with the house and there was no going back.

Having said all that Bellbowrie does have some plus points in that we back on to a very good school and the area we live in is quiet and pretty. Yes it is going to be a pain commuting into the CBD like so many of the western suburbs. My wife didn't like the suburbs we saw close to the trains.

Sean is due to start high school next year and this may be a good time for us to move to a more convenient location. I am keeping my eye on Kenmore and The Gap. Even if we move to somewhere in the bay like Wynnum (Manly is too expensive) we would still be a good trek from Caloundra or Burleigh Heads. Plus the fact that my wife really did not take to Wynnum.

I have played at one of the Ipswich squash clubs and the courts were pretty bad. The club itself wasn't too bad and I may persevere.

Thanks again.
Just a quick thought, get the house valued now, you may well be surprised at how much it has gone up even since August. Yesterday my SIL got a contract on a house in Woombye, $389,000, full asking price within a week! yet just three months ago the agents were telling them $340,000 to 350,000.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:58 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Unfortunately my wife didn't like the Bayside I think because she found it a bit flat and featureless, properties were a bit more expensive and she's not keen on Queenslanders. I would like to have given Manly a go because I used to windsurf but I certainly couldn't afford to live there.

We are living in Bellbowrie on the south west side of Brisbane. We chose Bellbowrie because my wife was keen on the space and found a house that she fell in love with.
Can I make a suggestion.. you have struck a cord on some of the things that I dislike about Brisbane. I will not go into it.. or I will be shot down. Ok I will just a wee bit ..lol - people are one of them, it is flat number two, and the urban sprawl is ugly. The beaches and countryside is nothing to get worked up about here .. noosa is probably the nicest in my opinion.

Take a look at Newcastle and surrounds (NSW) .. if you are looking at other states. The people are more down to earth than here.. less false in my opinion (maybe because it's an industrial town.. different kettle of fish), it has not got that "city" feel like you get in Brisbane and Sydney if you know what I mean.. and the beaches and countryside around the area are far better than Brisbane.

Just a suggestion, but I've spotted a few things in your post which I can relate to easily.

Cheers
Old Nov 17th 2003, 5:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

One such website for squash is www.wavellsquash.com.au or if you don't like it try phoning Squash Queensland (phone # in phone book). We have actually had a bloke drive twice a week from Browns Plains to play and sometimes he had to travel to Petrie to play interclub.
From Pollyana's bloke!!!!!!
Old Nov 17th 2003, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Perth over Brisbane?????
Ha Ha Ha - absolutely no contest! Perth is by far the best state to be in, great weather, fantastic beaches on your doorstep, friendly relaxed people, great nightlife etc etc etc. What more can I say?
Try www.squashworks.com.au too!
See ya!
Dan
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi all

Thanks for your replies. Patrick is currently in Perth on a fact finding mission. He's managed to line up 3 interviews as well.

The areas that he will be looking at are Ocean Reef, Mindarie, Joondalup, North Currambire, Edgenster and surrounding areas, Hillarys, kinross, Quinns and Mullallo. Lordy, not sure if I spelt some of those correctly. Of course if you can add any other areas (close to the beach would be nice) with reasonably sized properties in the $500,000 range then please pass them on. I noted from looking at a property website for Perth that most properties seem to be under 700 sq metres - I have said to Patrick that I will settle for no less than 1000 sqm which I think is reasonable since we currently have just over 2600 sqm.

I love Brisbane. Granted that we have a lot of driving to do to get anywhere and that the beaches are a fair distance from us, this place rocks! However because Patrick has been so unsettled I am holding back on putting my roots down and if it comes to it would be quite happy to move to Perth as everyone (apart from the forum) that I have spoken to says how beautiful Perth is.

I will keep you posted.

Diana

ps thanks for the squash club links.