Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - V - Brisbane help!!

Perth - V - Brisbane help!!

Old Aug 31st 2004, 1:21 am
Perthite

holte end is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth - V - Brisbane help!!

We've been in Perth for a few months now and we're a little concerned we've made the wrong choice of place to settle in.

Did do a rekkie earlier in the year but actually staying here for a couple of weeks and living here permenantly are two different things.

The wage, for my line of work, is pretty bad. we new it would be a lot worse than the UK but when you actually try to live on it...it's a different ball game. Brisbane, I know, pays a bit better.

We are seriously considering upping sticks and shifting over to the east. So could use some advice from folk who live over there as to whether you rate it or not.

If we get some interesting feedback I'm sending the wife over to do a rekkie...I'm not risking making a mistake on this one!!

Cheers
Old Aug 31st 2004, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - V - Brisbane help!!

Originally Posted by holte end
We've been in Perth for a few months now and we're a little concerned we've made the wrong choice of place to settle in.

Did do a rekkie earlier in the year but actually staying here for a couple of weeks and living here permenantly are two different things.

The wage, for my line of work, is pretty bad. we new it would be a lot worse than the UK but when you actually try to live on it...it's a different ball game. Brisbane, I know, pays a bit better.

We are seriously considering upping sticks and shifting over to the east. So could use some advice from folk who live over there as to whether you rate it or not.

If we get some interesting feedback I'm sending the wife over to do a rekkie...I'm not risking making a mistake on this one!!

Cheers
What exactly do you do? then someone will probably have similar job and can give more details on it Brisbane specific wise.

Main things Bris has over Perth would be access at reasonable cost, about $69 one way to Sydney and $99 to Melbourne, even cheaper at times. Winters are much nicer, cool sunny dry compared to Perths cold and sometimes wet/windy. Things should be a bit cheaper if you take into account Perths distance regarding transportataion etc.

Things to consider while both Perth and brisbane have very high summer temps Bris will be more humid while Perth has the hot wind type stuff. Housing in Perth would seem cheaper, Brisbane has really gone up last two years, easy to check on websites.

Brisbanes a good choice tho, more chance of work than Perth but nowhere near the cost of NSW for housing, its sort of middle ground safe bet really.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 2:38 am
Perthite

Originally Posted by jad n rich
What exactly do you do? then someone will probably have similar job and can give more details on it Brisbane specific wise.

Main things Bris has over Perth would be access at reasonable cost, about $69 one way to Sydney and $99 to Melbourne, even cheaper at times. Winters are much nicer, cool sunny dry compared to Perths cold and sometimes wet/windy. Things should be a bit cheaper if you take into account Perths distance regarding transportataion etc.

Things to consider while both Perth and brisbane have very high summer temps Bris will be more humid while Perth has the hot wind type stuff. Housing in Perth would seem cheaper, Brisbane has really gone up last two years, easy to check on websites.

Brisbanes a good choice tho, more chance of work than Perth but nowhere near the cost of NSW for housing, its sort of middle ground safe bet really.
I'm in printing and I've called a few companies over there and sussed out wages.

The thing that appeals to us more than anything is the ability to travel to the major tourist bits easily and cheaply. When you actually live in Perth it suddenly dawns on you just how far the other side is and it's pretty expensive to get to when theres a family travelling.

We know that it get's humid, but as with all types of heat, we'd aclimatise to that over time surely?

I've been to Brisbane once, years ago, didn't get out of the city much as on a flying visit so didn't get to see much of it.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:36 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all
Smile Re: Perth - V - Brisbane help!!

Hi, can`t help too much but I can tell you that my husband`s brother
migrated to Brisbane last November and is also a printer. He runs a 2 colour
GTO and I think he takes home around $600 per week. We are also hoping
to migrate to Brisbane next year visa permitting and my husband is also a
printer who runs 5 colour komouri don`t know what the rate for this is.

Bye,

Tracey
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:36 pm
Perthite

Yeah I know it's me again, getting this one up to the top hoping that we might get a few more replies from folk who'd spent time in both places.

We had some friends staying with us last week who'd been to both and they reckon Perth is the prettiest place in the Brisbane -v- Perth race, they reckoned Brissy was a lot older looking, it had more graffitti and vandalism than Perth but they reckon they'd rather live in Brissy and be able to get to 'things', so they've buggered off again over East. The wife has now got visions of Brissy being a crime filled dump! Apologies to anyone from Brisbane for the wifes daft thoughts!

I know that the best option for us is to go over and have a look for ourselves but it's a bit of a pricey thing to do from here...$550 return each, and like we've already discovered by past visits to Perth, spending a week or so somewhere is completely different to living somewhere.

All this damn decision making eh?!! As if we haven't had enough to do in the last year or so!!!

Help...anyone....please!!!
Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Yeah I know it's me again, getting this one up to the top hoping that we might get a few more replies from folk who'd spent time in both places.

We had some friends staying with us last week who'd been to both and they reckon Perth is the prettiest place in the Brisbane -v- Perth race, they reckoned Brissy was a lot older looking, it had more graffitti and vandalism than Perth but they reckon they'd rather live in Brissy and be able to get to 'things', so they've buggered off again over East. The wife has now got visions of Brissy being a crime filled dump! Apologies to anyone from Brisbane for the wifes daft thoughts! )

I know that the best option for us is to go over and have a look for ourselves but it's a bit of a pricey thing to do from here...$550 return each, and like we've already discovered by past visits to Perth, spending a week or so somewhere is completely different to living somewhere.

All this damn decision making eh?!! As if we haven't had enough to do in the last year or so!!!

Difficult choices
Brisbane area will have areas with high crime, but it also has areas with low crime. Probably the same as Perth ?

Some areas are also VERY new, but as you say, some are also old. Funny thing is that some people actually like the old areas

I don't think I can be much help, but a trip over here may be worth while, if you have long enough to REALLY look around, and see the different areas, especially for your wifes sake.

Old Sep 27th 2004, 6:58 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Ive lived in Perth for just over 2 years now, I Cant help you out from a living in Brisbane perspective, but I did go over there for a couple of weeks earlier this year.
In short I wouldnt swap Perth for anywhere, I thought Brisbane city itself was a bit of a let down, relative to Perth it was dirty, noisy, tired and drab looking, hotels/shopping and Restaurants didnt seem anything great, most things seemed over priced, particularily any half decent restaurants we managed to find.
Also its a long way to the coast (or more than I imagined) the Gold Coast was as high rise as I had be warned, treat it as a blip on a lovely coast line, almost a tenerife sized blip unfortunately. further south down the coast it improves but if you go over there I would head up to the Sunshine coast, much, much nicer, Mooloolaba and Noosa were both really enjoyable.
When we went the humidity wasnt to bad, but speaking to people over there I can be pretty tough in the main summer, ok when your visiting i guess but having to try and work when you soaked in sweat after being outside for 10 secs isnt my idea of fun, sure it gets hot here in Perth, but imagine a 38C day with 90+% humidity... no thank you.....

I came to Perth for 6 days and loved it, so much I moved here. 2 years later I love it even more.
I went to Brisbane (and surrounds) for 14 days, I wont be going back to Brisbane.....
Each to their own though!
Old Sep 27th 2004, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

We had some friends staying with us last week who'd been to both and they reckon Perth is the prettiest place in the Brisbane -v- Perth race, they reckoned Brissy was a lot older looking, it had more graffitti and vandalism than Perth but they reckon they'd rather live in Brissy and be able to get to 'things', so they've buggered off again over East. The wife has now got visions of Brissy being a crime filled dump! Apologies to anyone from Brisbane for the wifes daft thoughts!

$550 expensive, you should have seen the airfares before the british competition got in here :scared:

Brisbane and Perth have all the same graffiti/crime/drug problems if you can hack Perths you can hack ours too, neither are Chicago standard are they? Really on a day to day basis does it matter if someones opinion is Perth is prettier than brisbane, surely you'd be at work and would not notice it anyway. Very beautiful spots all within a short drive, and some of the trees and flora if your into that thing are simply amazing, it looks pretty bland so far this year because of the drought, a bit of rain and it will be more colourful than I can describe.

The older areas are usually the very expensive inner city ones, the more affordable housing is usually brand new estates, plenty of it, like Perth and any city the urban sprawl is big as people all try to cram into the cities and coastline for facilities.

Perth may have a drier heat but it has a nasty fly problem with it come summer, Brisbane is humid some claim they get used to it, I got airconditioning but nope if you work outside anywhere here will be hell in summer, try adelaide if you want hell like heat!

Still think a visit would be worthwhile what about drive its only 4 days away.