Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth v Adelaide

Perth v Adelaide

Old May 23rd 2003, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

menna is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Perth v Adelaide

We can not make our minds up Perth or Adelaide, I have done quite a lot of research on Perth and my mate also lives there, So you would think it was an easy decision to make but i have heard many people talking about how nice Adelaide is I have looked on the net but there does not seem to be as much info about Adelaide as there is about Perth.
Also the standard of homes that I have seen don`t look as good as the Perth houses, any feedback would be appreciated also any good web sites on Adelaide. see ya all at the Birmingham meet....
" HAPPY DAY`S "
Old May 23rd 2003, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

okay i'll start the ball rolling and as somone who's never been you can tell what my opinion is worth.

perth has a lot to recommend it- big city, nice beaches, PB, good climate.

several people i know that live there and have travelled extensively round au won't live anywhere else..

against is remote from the rest of au/world. get v hot in summer, PB, big city

adelaide
again i know people that live in ade who won't live anywhere else
but adelaide has

better house prices, cheaper living costs, older 'feel', more european, (city of churches and all), nice beaches, nice climate , drier than rest of au
quiet lifestyle.

against is very quiet -maybe too quiet for some, less jobs prospects etc -pretty much the fogotten city of oz , some have commented on wineos and grafitti

may feel a bit like the 'maldives'
ie on arrival seems like paradise -once round the island then you're bored and looking for something else...

however we are stni and heading for adelaide so there!! ;-)

cheers

richard
Old May 24th 2003, 7:31 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth v Adelaide

Originally posted by menna
We can not make our minds up Perth or Adelaide, I have done quite a lot of research on Perth and my mate also lives there, So you would think it was an easy decision to make but i have heard many people talking about how nice Adelaide is I have looked on the net but there does not seem to be as much info about Adelaide as there is about Perth.
Also the standard of homes that I have seen don`t look as good as the Perth houses, any feedback would be appreciated also any good web sites on Adelaide. see ya all at the Birmingham meet....
" HAPPY DAY`S "
LOOK HERE WWW.EVERYTHINGADELAIDE.COM.AU ... MM
Old May 24th 2003, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

but what's it like to actually live there MM ??

http://users.chariot.net.au/~rbuckley/
http://www.australianexplorer.com/ph...e_adelaide.htm

http://www.touradelaide.com/

http://www.sa.regional.net.au/inform...asp?code=ac111

cheers

richard

Last edited by r.bartlett; May 24th 2003 at 7:40 pm.
Old May 24th 2003, 8:07 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

How easy was your STNI, time, etc please.
Old May 24th 2003, 8:09 pm
plumber39

Never been to Adelaide,but have been to Perth recently and i,m glad i did very impressed,nice clean buses(center of perth free of charge)also very clean city,never seen any trouble,weather great.May be isolated, but big city, sure you would find plenty to keep you occupied! The north end kown as pom,s ville. English everywhere.

Old May 24th 2003, 8:14 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
LOOK HERE WWW.EVERYTHINGADELAIDE.COM.AU ... MM
I don't want to take this too far off thread but our research keeps bringing us back the the area around Belair (ideal properties, right price etc). We're over in September to have a good look but in the meantime any comments on the area MrMover (apart from the steep hills!)

Perry
Old May 24th 2003, 8:40 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kentcoast
I don't want to take this too far off thread but our research keeps bringing us back the the area around Belair (ideal properties, right price etc). We're over in September to have a good look but in the meantime any comments on the area MrMover (apart from the steep hills!)

Perry
belair area ,cool in summer ,cold by our standards in winter {1-2deg c}in the mornings ,area from belair through craigburn ,to flagstaff hill known as the" mortgage belt" house prices having risen quickly over the last couple of years, but you can still buy a nice home for around $220k,like you sayKC lots of steep driveways, and hilly roads hardly a week goes by with out hearing about some one who for got to put on their parking break. Belair national park ,has excelent facilites ,bbqs walking trails etc, the wildlife still abounds in the area ,[KOALAS,WALLABIES,ROO,S,KOOKABURRAS}nice golf course,if you dont mind moving the odd roo off the fairways ,good transport system,20mins to the C,B,D, low crime area, was a grafitti gang operating in the area ,but i hear a few of the locals caught up with them...? marion shopping centre 15 mins away,{mall,300shops}..........20mins to brighton beach, nice safe kids beach ............. MM
Old May 24th 2003, 8:45 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

belair area ,cool in summer ,cold by our standards in winter {1-2deg c}in the mornings ,area from belair through craigburn ,to flagstaff hill known as the" mortgage belt" house prices having risen quickly over the last couple of years, but you can still buy a nice home for around $220k,like you sayKC lots of steep driveways, and hilly roads hardly a week goes by with out hearing about some one who for got to put on their parking break. Belair national park ,has excelent facilites ,bbqs walking trails etc, the wildlife still abounds in the area ,[KOALAS,WALLABIES,ROO,S,KOOKABURRAS}nice golf course,if you dont mind moving the odd roo off the fairways ,good transport system,20mins to the C,B,D, low crime area, was a grafitti gang operating in the area ,but i hear a few of the locals caught up with them...? marion shopping centre 15 mins away,{mall,300shops}..........20mins to brighton beach, nice safe kids beach ............. MM

Many thanks MM (do you ever sleep? ). Look like it's going to stay on the shortlist for a proper visit in Sept.

Thanks

Perry
Old May 24th 2003, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Been to both, personal opinion.......you have to go first and decide yourself, everyone is different..

How can you comment when you've never been...???

Teresa
Old May 24th 2003, 9:14 pm
Banned

richard, when i left i left england forty years ago ,the biggest town i had ever seen was SALISBURY ,WILTSHIRE . we landed in melbourne in 1963, that was a culture shock to me ,we stayed their for 2yrs while dad completed his contract with the commonweath aircraft corporation,we then moved to adelaide,were dad had lived with relatives during the war, i felt very much more at home in adelaide than melbourne because it felt more like a country town than a city,we now live at angle vale which is 32km nth of the city ,yet my work depot is 5km west of the city, yet i can get to work in 35 mins ,[and thats driving a truck} so getting any were in adelalde is so easy , the city is clean and spacious ,hills to the east , sea to the west good safe beaches ,for kids ,a good restaurant /cafe scene nice to go into town and pull up a chair outside a cafe in rundle st have a nice rissoto with a cold chardonay or a shiraz ,and watch the world go by. Adelaide doe,s suffer from a bit of a snobby streak, i think mainly due to the fact that it was settled by free english and german settlers and not convicts ,so we tend to think our selves to be a little "BETTER" than the rest of the riffraff in this country. THE down side is ,because it is so cheap to live in south oz,{apart from tas},we tend to attract more ferals than the rest of the country,plus the liberal drug laws[on the spot fines for dope, growing /smoking}there,s more old cars on the roads due to no yearly D.O.T CHECKS, but apart from this i could,nt think of a nicer place to live............. MM
Old May 24th 2003, 9:20 pm
Banned

Originally posted by kentcoast
Many thanks MM (do you ever sleep? ). Look like it's going to stay on the shortlist for a proper visit in Sept.

Thanks

Perry
After 25 years in the removal industry, my back is stuffed,so i tend to have to get up ,and sit up for awhile,so sitting here typing is good therapy,,,there,s a bloody rooster out side the window at the moment i think i.ll go and strangle it........ MM
Old May 24th 2003, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't wait - 35 days to go!!!

Mash

richard, when i left i left england forty years ago ,the biggest town i had ever seen was SALISBURY ,WILTSHIRE . we landed in melbourne in 1963, that was a culture shock to me ,we stayed their for 2yrs while dad completed his contract with the commonweath aircraft corporation,we then moved to adelaide,were dad had lived with relatives during the war, i felt very much more at home in adelaide than melbourne because it felt more like a country town than a city,we now live at angle vale which is 32km nth of the city ,yet my work depot is 5km west of the city, yet i can get to work in 35 mins ,[and thats driving a truck} so getting any were in adelalde is so easy , the city is clean and spacious ,hills to the east , sea to the west good safe beaches ,for kids ,a good restaurant /cafe scene nice to go into town and pull up a chair outside a cafe in rundle st have a nice rissoto with a cold chardonay or a shiraz ,and watch the world go by. Adelaide doe,s suffer from a bit of a snobby streak, i think mainly due to the fact that it was settled by free english and german settlers and not convicts ,so we tend to think our selves to be a little "BETTER" than the rest of the riffraff in this country. THE down side is ,because it is so cheap to live in south oz,{apart from tas},we tend to attract more ferals than the rest of the country,plus the liberal drug laws[on the spot fines for dope, growing /smoking}there,s more old cars on the roads due to no yearly D.O.T CHECKS, but apart from this i could,nt think of a nicer place to live............. MM
Old May 24th 2003, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

when i left i left england forty years ago ,the biggest town i had ever seen was SALISBURY ,WILTSHIRE . we landed in melbourne in 1963, that was a culture shock to me
Reminds of a story I was told by a woman who's husband persuded her to migrate 40 odd years ago, said she got off the boat at Fremantle to see horses tied up ouside the bar. she never forgave her husband who told her it was the land of milk and honey.
Old May 25th 2003, 1:15 am
Banned

Originally posted by karawara88
Reminds of a story I was told by a woman who's husband persuded her to migrate 40 odd years ago, said she got off the boat at Fremantle to see horses tied up ouside the bar. she never forgave her husband who told her it was the land of milk and honey.
i think ican remember us getting off the boat in freo ,and having my first ever milk shake in one of those big tall alumnium tumblers it was truly wonderful "i thought i was in the land of milk and honey" two weeks later i was in school gettting beat up for having a funny accent, if australia , do,es one thing for you it will toughen you up............ MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.