Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Sydney ?

Perth or Sydney ?

Old May 14th 2003, 1:49 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth or Sydney ?

Reading this I would say little differance , a bit of rain and the place shuts down third world or what?

TORRENTIAL rainfall across Sydney has forced road closures for the second consecutive day.

Local flooding disrupted morning peak-hour traffic today after extensive road closures and traffic snarls throughout the city yesterday.

A Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) spokesman said western Sydney's major arterial road had been reopened after rain forced closure to traffic and signalling problems at numerous points along .

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/c...5E1702,00.html

Old May 14th 2003, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I seem to remember the same thing happens in winter in the Uk when snow storms cause totally gridlock on the roads, which can go on for days whilst the authorities clear the stuff away. At least with rain you don't get frostbite.

I still remember the time not that many years ago when BR was brought to a grinding halt due snow storms.

It wasn't due to snow on the railtracks it was due to snow in the door tracks of the brand new specially desiged trains. Problem was falling snow built up in the door tracks and stopped the electric sliding doors from closeing. becase the driver couldn't close the doors the train couldn't move, hence gridlock to the whole system.

And what was their lame excuse?

Ah yes it was the wrong type of snow, we hadn't designed them for that type of snow.

I'm not geting at Britian, just putting your comments into context. I belive the USA has the same problem with snow in winter, so obviously Sydney is in GOOD company.
Old May 14th 2003, 2:14 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
I seem to remember the same thing happens in winter in the Uk when snow storms cause totally gridlock on the roads, which can go on for days whilst the authorities clear the stuff away. At least with rain you don't get frostbite.

I still remember the time not that many years ago when BR was brought to a grinding halt due snow storms.

It wasn't due to snow on the railtracks it was due to snow in the door tracks of the brand new specially desiged trains. Problem was falling snow built up in the door tracks and stopped the electric sliding doors from closeing. becase the driver couldn't close the doors the train couldn't move, hence gridlock to the whole system.

And what was their lame excuse?

Ah yes it was the wrong type of snow, we hadn't designed them for that type of snow.

I'm not geting at Britian, just putting your comments into context. I belive the USA has the same problem with snow in winter, so obviously Sydney is in GOOD company.

Snow is not a bit of rain my son , keep your pro Aussie excusses for some one who cares.
If snow did fall in Perth or Sydney what do think would happen?
PS never had a day off in the UK because of it snowing you must be a south eastern softy?

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 14th 2003 at 2:23 am.
Old May 14th 2003, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Snow is not a bit of rain my son , keep your pro Aussie excusses for some one who cares.
If snow did fall in Perth or Sydney what do think would happen?
PS never had a day off in the UK because of it snowing you must be south eastern softy?

Don't know about Perth but, you've obviously not seen what a little bit of rain can be like on the East Coast. It's not your typical English rain storm, I've been in storms when we've had a 100mm fall in an hour and generally the system can cope.

Also if it ever did snow in Perth or Sydney it would have as much chance lasting as the proverbial snowball in hell would.
Old May 14th 2003, 2:35 am
Banned

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Don't know about Perth but, you've obviously not seen what a little bit of rain can be like on the East Coast. It's not your typical English rain storm, I've been in storms when we've had a 100mm fall in an hour and generally the system can cope.

Also if it ever did snow in Perth or Sydney it would have as much chance lasting as the proverbial snowball in hell would.

In the wonderland of Perth the power cuts come when it rains when it does not rain in fact most of the year round , the traffic lights which are many because the roundabouts are far to hard for an Aussie to use , go down you have seen nothing yet.
As for the rain it can be heavy here but the place is a sand pit they are clueless on how to use the natural drainage that is all around , third world thick bastards covers it.