Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth suburbs / areas

Perth suburbs / areas

Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:27 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Perth suburbs / areas

Just starting to look into areas and suburbs around Perth itself and was wondering if anyone can tell me which areas we should avoid (bad crime etc)?

Also, anyone that can tell me what Mandurah is like please?

Thanks
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future
Default Re: Perth suburbs / areas

Hi Bridie J, I am also in the process of moving to Perth and have also wondered which suburbs are good and bad.

The easiest way of doing it personally, is to use the 'search this forum' option and type in something like 'Perth suburbs' or 'Mandurah' and there are loads of different threads which is great.

I was recommended this a while ago and you can bring up all the related threads to this subject. Only bad side is you have to sit through them for hours reading them all but it definitely gives you an idea of what suburbs to aim/avoid!

Hope this helps.

Van
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:39 am

Thanks Van!!!

Feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all as did so much research on Adelaide and now starting from scratch again with Perth!!!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

No worries bridiej,

Yes it is daunting and it takes a lot of time and effort trying to work out which suburbs are going to be right for you and your family. From what I have heard, Perth has plenty of really nice suburbs to choose from. I think the vast majority head north of the river, but the South is popular too and so are the Perth hills out to the East of the city.

Keep on searching and im sure you will narrow it down to a few which will suit your needs.

All the best

Van
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:44 am
LFC
Forum Regular

LFC is an unknown quantity at this point

Try the following link, a very friendly site with lots of info about Mandurah and Rockingham, and southern area in general!

http://www.emi-great.com/

LFC

Originally Posted by bridiej
Thanks Van!!!

Feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all as did so much research on Adelaide and now starting from scratch again with Perth!!!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

If it itches - scratch it!

I just think you're being a Naughty Girl Again!!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:53 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Just starting to look into areas and suburbs around Perth itself and was wondering if anyone can tell me which areas we should avoid (bad crime etc)?

Also, anyone that can tell me what Mandurah is like please?

Thanks
Yeh this question has been around before. Most the north of the river suburbs are good. Also most near the river or ocean(except rivervale and scarborough). South of the river, I just dont like nor would I recommend most of it, except places near the river.
Definitely Avoid: Midland, Maylands, Girrawheen, Balga, Lockridge, Lynwood, Welshpool, etc

Mandurah is OK and popular(so is Rockingham) but has some local crime, but to be honest NO area is crime free I would think: not even the likes of nedlands , dalkeith and peppermint grove.. Safety bay/golden bay are around that area and are ok I think
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:55 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Safety bay/golden bay are around that area and are ok I think
Around Mandurah way I meant; not nedlands , dalkeith way etc
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
If it itches - scratch it!

I just think you're being a Naughty Girl Again!!
LOL!!

Thanks kiwichild
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by LFC
Try the following link, a very friendly site with lots of info about Mandurah and Rockingham, and southern area in general!

http://www.emi-great.com/

LFC
Excellent link, cheers!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi Kiwi, which part of perth are you living in at the moment? My partner is thinking of going to UWA when we arrive although she is still not 100% sure. Which uni are you studying at currently?

I have read that you are unhappy in Perth which is such a shame. It isn't everyones cup of tea, thats for sure. Which state do you think you will try living in once you have finished your degree?

Hope it all works out for you.

Van
Old Apr 8th 2005, 10:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by vandiemen
Hi Kiwi, which part of perth are you living in at the moment? My partner is thinking of going to UWA when we arrive although she is still not 100% sure. Which uni are you studying at currently?

I have read that you are unhappy in Perth which is such a shame. It isn't everyones cup of tea, thats for sure. Which state do you think you will try living in once you have finished your degree?

Van
Hi Van, thanks for your thoughts. I live in North Perth and go to ECU. I have UK citizenship and am thinking of going to live there for a while. May return to OZ or NZ later. UWA is a little elitist compared to the others. Truth is ECU, Curtin and Murdoch are good universties too and have amore diverse range of courses. I'd probably only apply for UWA if I had my heart set on medicine or that. Encourage her to apply to the others as well if they have a course she is interested in.

Having been around a fair bit of OZ, I'd probably live on NSW coast, Victoria, Canberra,Sth Australia or Tasmania; but you always need to balance everything up, job opportunites, local environment etc. In all honesty I'd have to say Perth and its inhabitants are not typical of Australia overall.

Good Luck
Old Apr 8th 2005, 10:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by vandiemen

Van
Have sent you some Karma Van for this post you sent
Old Apr 8th 2005, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Hi Van, thanks for your thoughts. I live in North Perth and go to ECU. I have UK citizenship and am thinking of going to live there for a while. May return to OZ or NZ later. UWA is a little elitist compared to the others. Truth is ECU, Curtin and Murdoch are good universties too and have amore diverse range of courses. I'd probably only apply for UWA if I had my heart set on medicine or that. Encourage her to apply to the others as well if they have a course she is interested in.

Having been around a fair bit of OZ, I'd probably live on NSW coast, Victoria, Canberra,Sth Australia or Tasmania; but you always need to balance everything up, job opportunites, local environment etc. In all honesty I'd have to say Perth and its inhabitants are not typical of Australia overall.

Good Luck
Thanks for replying Kiwichild.

Yes I lived in tazzy for 6 months a couple of years ago and despite never visiting NZ, many of the locals told me that the scenery and climate is quite similar.

She has looked at all the other universities and is quite keen on a medicine course (the name escapes me! ) at UWA.

Yes you could always come over to the UK for a while, save some money and then return back to oz in a few years. Its such a bonus having the option to live in Oz, NZ or the EU, so im sure you will find somewhere you will like.

Cheers

Van
Old Apr 8th 2005, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Have sent you some Karma Van for this post you sent
hehe, cheers for the Karma!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.