Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Rugby and Football

Perth Rugby and Football

Old Dec 10th 2004, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth Rugby and Football

Perth has been awarded the extra Aussie spot in the rugby Super 14.

There's also been some announcements about the A-League dates and pre-season tournaments.

http://gloryboys.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7435

The Super 14 thing means that the MES (Perth Glory's ground) will be developed further. All in all it makes good reading for fans of rugby and football, living in or headed for Perth.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 11:57 am
PommieLeague

Default Re: Perth Rugby and Football

Originally Posted by TheAncientGeek
All in all it makes good reading for fans of rugby and football, living in or headed for Perth.
Does that include the overlooked League code?

Good news 2 NRL games will be staged there and a chance for rugby league to show Perth what real rugby is before that dire nonsense arrives in 2006.

Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:42 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

There's also been some announcements about the A-League dates and pre-season tournaments.

The Super 14 thing means that the MES (Perth Glory's ground) will be developed further. All in all it makes good reading for fans of rugby and football, living in or headed for Perth.
This is great news. Real sport comes to Western Australia. Can't wait.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Does that include the overlooked League code?

Good news 2 NRL games will be staged there and a chance for rugby league to show Perth what real rugby is before that dire nonsense arrives in 2006.
Super 14 is Union. I'm not going to get into the whole Union v League thing, I've played both (not at any level of note) and I would simply say they are different. I prefer to watch Union myself, simply because that's the game I played the most (League is virtually unknown down here, where Bath, Bristol and Gloucester take most of the limelight).

As for your loyalties Lathlain, I prefer the other "Reds" in the Salford area
Old Dec 10th 2004, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This is great news. Real sport comes to Western Australia. Can't wait.
Personally I'm happy that I can go and watch football (Glory) but given the chance I will gladly go and watch a Super 14 game, a Dockers or Eagles game, or even a rugby league game.

The only rugby-style game that I CANNNOT get my head around is the version from America where they wear padding and helmets, and the "game" lasts about 4 weeks.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

This is the best news for all the South Africans & Kiwis living in Perth. Great for soccer fans too with the improvement of the facilities at the ground of Perth Glory.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 2:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zebra4
This is the best news for all the South Africans & Kiwis living in Perth. Great for soccer fans too with the improvement of the facilities at the ground of Perth Glory.
I think the SA teams will like playing there as it's much closer to SA than the east coast, but vice versa for the Kiwi teams. Great for all the expats (including me soon) liviing in Perth.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 2:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Any idea what the Perth team is going to be called?.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 9:57 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Any idea what the Perth team is going to be called?.
aah the million dollar question - I wondered this myself.

BM

Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:54 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it's fantasic news, some world class rugby coming our way, can't wait.

The name of the team is an interesting one, any takers for a guess?

Perth Pride is my offering, corny as it may sound
Old Dec 11th 2004, 4:04 am
PommieLeague

(League is virtually unknown down here, where Bath, Bristol and Gloucester take most of the limelight).

As for your loyalties Lathlain, I prefer the other "Reds" in the Salford area
There are a few RL clubs who play in the summer RL Confernece, one is the Bristol Sonics

Regarding the team who also play in red and stole the nickname from us, (yes Salford were the Reds/Red Devils from 1934, Utd from the 60's) they play over the boundary/canal in the Trafford district, which isnt the same as the City of Salford.

Old Dec 11th 2004, 4:13 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by walla1
Yep, it's fantasic news, some world class rugby coming our way, can't wait.

The name of the team is an interesting one, any takers for a guess?

Perth Pride is my offering, corny as it may sound
There will be some world class rugby coming over on February the 25th when Canterbury play Souths at the Members Equity Stadium, why not come along?

As for a name for the proposed union team in 2006, Perth Aristocrats?

Old Dec 11th 2004, 10:49 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lathlain]There will be some world class rugby coming over on February the 25th when Canterbury play Souths at the Members Equity Stadium, why not come along?

As for a

I'll be there, interestingly enough, the West Australian has a competition today to design the strip and to pick the name of the team.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lathlain
There are a few RL clubs who play in the summer RL Confernece, one is the Bristol Sonics

Regarding the team who also play in red and stole the nickname from us, (yes Salford were the Reds/Red Devils from 1934, Utd from the 60's) they play over the boundary/canal in the Trafford district, which isnt the same as the City of Salford.
The RL conference started in 1998, which explains why I wasn't aware of it. I wonder if the Somerset Vikings have any historical links with Sedgemoor ARLFC (the team I played for about 15 years ago).

As for Utd, they were known as the Reds pretty much from 1902, but you're right about the "Red Devils" nickname. Apparently in the early 60s Sir Matt thought the name sounded suitably intimidating, the devil appeared on our club badge in 1970.

Salford/Trafford - hmm, ok I'll give you that one - the ground is on the border, and the club probably owns land in Salford (the coach park perhaps?), Trafford Borough and the City of Salford both contributed to the Salford Quays project as well
Old Dec 12th 2004, 11:35 am
PommieLeague

The RL conference started in 1998, which explains why I wasn't aware of it. I wonder if the Somerset Vikings have any historical links with Sedgemoor ARLFC (the team I played for about 15 years ago).

As for Utd, they were known as the Reds pretty much from 1902, but you're right about the "Red Devils" nickname. Apparently in the early 60s Sir Matt thought the name sounded suitably intimidating, the devil appeared on our club badge in 1970.

Salford/Trafford - hmm, ok I'll give you that one - the ground is on the border, and the club probably owns land in Salford (the coach park perhaps?), Trafford Borough and the City of Salford both contributed to the Salford Quays project as well
Well I never knew there was a League team called Sedgemoor RLFC. Did they play in the old South West league in the 80's? I even heard there were teams even in Devon and my old home of Cornwall?

The Vikings are in the SW Conference I think.

Yes Man U do own training grounds in the City of Salford area and are also to become involved when Salford's new stadium is built at Barton to play their reserves there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.