Reload this Page >

Is Perth right for us?

Is Perth right for us?

Old May 16th 2006, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

GavinH will become famous soon enoughGavinH will become famous soon enough
Question Is Perth right for us?

Hi All,

We are on the final stage of our application and have our medicals this Monday - family of five.

However, we are still a bit undecided where in Oz we should be heading, although, have a good feeling about Perth. Anyone I know, who has been to Oz, claims Perth is the most beautiful city, very family orientated if a bit remote. The remote part doesn't bother me at all as what I've seen on TV, it looks amazing and there appears to be plenty amenities and things to do and see.

I do have some concerns on the job front as I am in IT and am not sure what and how many oppurtunities there are in Perth. I am MCSE, CCNA, certified in Cisco PIX, am a certified Penetration Tester and am currently studying towards my CISSP, which I should have before I arrive in Oz. I am particularly interested in Security but would be open to Network Design, Administration or Consultation in either Microsoft or Cisco based networks.

Looking through job sites there appears to be a lot more jobs on the East coast and am concerned moving to Perth would limit my oppurtunities.

Any advice, comment or experience would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Gavin
Old May 17th 2006, 1:59 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Perth right for us?

Originally Posted by GavinH
Hi All,

We are on the final stage of our application and have our medicals this Monday - family of five.

However, we are still a bit undecided where in Oz we should be heading, although, have a good feeling about Perth. Anyone I know, who has been to Oz, claims Perth is the most beautiful city, very family orientated if a bit remote. The remote part doesn't bother me at all as what I've seen on TV, it looks amazing and there appears to be plenty amenities and things to do and see.

I do have some concerns on the job front as I am in IT and am not sure what and how many oppurtunities there are in Perth. I am MCSE, CCNA, certified in Cisco PIX, am a certified Penetration Tester and am currently studying towards my CISSP, which I should have before I arrive in Oz. I am particularly interested in Security but would be open to Network Design, Administration or Consultation in either Microsoft or Cisco based networks.

Looking through job sites there appears to be a lot more jobs on the East coast and am concerned moving to Perth would limit my oppurtunities.

Any advice, comment or experience would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Gavin
I dont think you'd have any problems finding a role in Perth, skillsets like yours are pretty highly in demand, generaly roles only get advertised if there isnt already someone known to the agency suitable. Volume wise sure there would be more roles in Syd/Melb. but there a vastly different kettle of fish to Perth.
I'll send you a PM shortly.
Steve
Old May 17th 2006, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

5teve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve99
I dont think you'd have any problems finding a role in Perth, skillsets like yours are pretty highly in demand, generaly roles only get advertised if there isnt already someone known to the agency suitable. Volume wise sure there would be more roles in Syd/Melb. but there a vastly different kettle of fish to Perth.
I'll send you a PM shortly.
Steve
well i cant comment on the IT job market over here.. but there are a lot of software guys working where i work.. not that that is really relavent

i was surprised how nice Perth was.. and we ruined our reccy trip because of it... we were comparing everywhere else to Perth. The only thing you have to do is just adjust your mindset to a few things like shops etc. essentially in the 5 weeks i have been here i dont feel too far away from home. (just missing the g/f)

my own personal advice is get looking now for jobs.. theres plenty of websites for job agencies (as you know)... but dont expect to get replies just from that... call the agents and hassle them... even look in the local papers in the UK (thats where my job was advertised!) or the UK overseas job websites. I dont know if i was lucky but i got the job 3 or 4 months before i wanted it... made us change our plans a bit.. but we are dealing with it and the company are bending over backwards to accomodate me.

It may not be something you want but there are a fantastic group of expats here.. so friendly and so willing to help you settle down... reading the forum can sometimes be a bit depressing as a lot of people seem to head home.. the expats over here have made us realise that it isnt everyone like that... there are loads who love it over here!

if i can give you any more info.. just ask!

Thanks

(a different) Steve
Old May 17th 2006, 9:22 am
Just Joined

GavinH will become famous soon enoughGavinH will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Is Perth right for us?

Hi, thanks to the Steves for the destination Perth confidence boost.

When you say adjusting your mind set - would you mind elloborating a bit?

I have a young family, 2,3 and a 12 year old and want to settle in an area in Perth that would provide good schooling, plenty of sporting activities and amenities, near the beach and a 4 bedroom bungalow, with pool, around the £200,000 mark - can anyone offer any pointers?

Cheers,

Gavin
Old May 17th 2006, 9:35 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I have a young family, 2,3 and a 12 year old and want to settle in an area in Perth that would provide good schooling, plenty of sporting activities and amenities, near the beach and a 4 bedroom bungalow, with pool, around the £200,000 mark - can anyone offer any pointers?

Cheers,

Gavin
How about this http://perth.comfree.ca/display.html?code=1565

this house has just gone on the market and is probably at least $30k below what it should be, a real bargain (if there is such a thing here just now).

Lynn
Old May 17th 2006, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

5teve is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers,

Gavin
200,000 so thats currently about $490,000 theres stuff around for that but you'll be looking about 20km out of the city north or south... unlikely that you get beach for that either... but you'll never be far away, 15 minute drive at most i would say.

im looking in the north.. around greenwood, edgewater, heathridge etc.. all seem nice but houses are becoming harder and harder to find! as for schools and sporting places... well there seems plenty of them.. so you shouldnt struggle there.

with regard to the mindset i just mean that you have to understand that it isnt the UK (obvious i know) but things are not open 24 hrs a day 7 days a week... late night shopping is thursday.. till 9 i think... shops are generally shut (supermarkets and shopping centres from what i have seen) on a sunday. what i notice in a big way is that the supermarket scene is like the UK was 20 years ago when small gateways were everywhere... and you went to the grocers for fruit and the butchers for meat... now this doesnt bother me and i like it.. i like going to the home grow shops and butchers etc (plus they are cheaper) the supermarkets do have these products but i find the quality low and the price high (with the exception of some independants!)

some find this frustrating... as do some with traffic lights (they take forever to change!) and other little things... but hey theres a slower pace of life over here (so it seems).. use sunday as the family day... go somewhere do something! thats my impressions anyway and i havent been here long.. and its only my opinion.. im sure others will elaborate

hope this helps a little

Steve

edit :- Beer is pretty pricey too! about 3 quid a pint depending where you drink... but can be lots more too!

Last edited by 5teve; May 17th 2006 at 9:49 am.
Old May 18th 2006, 1:30 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

Gavin
Have a look at Duncraig, you can still get some pretty good stuff there for around the sort of price point your at, its west of the freeway, so prob only a 5min drive to the beach, close to the freeway and train line, 16KM from Perth,
Heres a quick example I just saw:
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...a&fmt=&header=

Steve