Reload this Page >

Perth: Recommended builders?

Perth: Recommended builders?

Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

JustArrived is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth: Recommended builders?

Hi,

Anyone have advice on which builders to go for or avoid? We're looking around the AU$100,000 which seems to budget for a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house. From what we've seen, Celebration Homes seem to be the best value so far. My wife likes Homebuyers but I feel there's something missing with their houses.

Anyway, looking around all those showhouses only get me confused. Any advice appreciated. Anybody else in the same situation of looking for builders?
Old Jan 31st 2003, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

pozzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default builders

Be very careful. What you see in a show house is not what you get - even the height of the ceilings! Sounds silly but 28 bricks high is standard and higher costs more. When it's hot high ceilings can be an advantage.
Electric sockets - if you want more than the minimum each one is extra.
Some builders charge for putting power lines underground (although overhead cables are less common in new areas).
Bathroom tiles may cost more if you choose bigger tiles or want them laid at an angle as is common in some show homes.
Flyscreens on windows used to be extra ( not sure about now)
Although there seems to be a lot of builders, check out the parents company, they boil down to a handful of big companies although there are a few independents.
Some builders will try to charge for extra roof straps in windy areas, hard digging in limestone areas etc..
Do you get the impression we were stung?
Things are not always what they seem. What looks like a quiet clu-de-sac may be due to be opened up to a through road/new housing estate in a few years.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 10:03 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: builders

You do sound a little bitter, 28 bricks is a little low the norm on new build is usually 30 ie 7'6" It's covered by building regs in this country.
Electrics and fixtures and fittings inc. kitchen units are usually covered by pc sums.
Boy BB will be scratching his plums in excitement all that cash for extra sockets
Seriously though I've said it before etc.... It pays to do your homework ask around word of mouth is the best advertising you can get,visit some sites and ask the blokes about the builders they work for. Big ads in the press are a sign they need work I'd go with a small company for the personal touch.

Originally posted by pozzie
Be very careful. What you see in a show house is not what you get - even the height of the ceilings! Sounds silly but 28 bricks high is standard and higher costs more. When it's hot high ceilings can be an advantage.
Electric sockets - if you want more than the minimum each one is extra.
Some builders charge for putting power lines underground (although overhead cables are less common in new areas).
Bathroom tiles may cost more if you choose bigger tiles or want them laid at an angle as is common in some show homes.
Flyscreens on windows used to be extra ( not sure about now)
Although there seems to be a lot of builders, check out the parents company, they boil down to a handful of big companies although there are a few independents.
Some builders will try to charge for extra roof straps in windy areas, hard digging in limestone areas etc..
Do you get the impression we were stung?
Things are not always what they seem. What looks like a quiet clu-de-sac may be due to be opened up to a through road/new housing estate in a few years.
Old Feb 1st 2003, 2:57 am
Just Joined

pozzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ceilings

No I'm not bitter, I have a lovely house but I would have done things differently if I'd known then (violins...)
Seriously...
Who's building codes are you talking about - I'm talking about life in the wild west - rules by Roy Rogers (in some cases).
It is a different world to NSW & Vic and just because we speak English, it does not necessarily mean the same thing!
Oh yes, fully tiled bathrooms - it's an extra to have walls waterproofed before tiles are fixed.
When walls are plastered they do not necessary have the metal corner strip to protect - that's a builder's extra.
Having said that some thing may have changed in the last couple of years but not all & a friend building at the moment is still encountering some of these things.
I'm not trying to put a downer on building just saying buyer beware! Don't expect standards you're used to in the UK.