British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Perth Northern Subs Nuts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/perth-northern-subs-nuts-173758/)

janeyray Aug 22nd 2003 9:38 am

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I hold my hands up and am the first to admit that I thought there would be very little crime here.
Diane:rolleyes:
Snap, so did I. I know how silly I was now, thinking that!!

At my daughters school there is no boundary fence to stop people just 'waliking in' and my daughter has to leave her classroom to go to the toilet. This means that anyone could approach her. I thought back to her other school in Dianella and this was a much older school, but still no boundary fence or wall.

I see children as young as 6 walking or biking to school alone, some with friends but as we all well know a group of children together does not deter a pervert.

ACE Aug 23rd 2003 8:43 am

Hi All,
I must admit to being one of the naive one's who thought that there was less crime in Perth. Having read this thread last night I was unable to sleep as we have been planning this move for over three years and I am now seriously questioning the wisdom of our decision. I honestly thought it would be a good move for us especially as we may be coming on an exchange which means the same wages as hubby is on here, so no job or money problems and the opportunity to return to his old job after two years.

I am very greatful for all the honest posts as I see them as preparation for the worst that can happen but crime directed at children leaves me cold. Like most parents there is nothing more important to me than my children and so I have to really reconsider our future, the thought of exposing my children to more danger is what is really worrying me.

I have lived in Essex for 15 years, 10 on the sea front and 5 in a semi rural area, and I have only been a victim of crime once and that was because I rearly lock my car and my jacket was stolen.

The local paper reports crime in varying degrees but as Wilf says you read these things and think "the crime round here is terrible" wthout it ever really touching you.

We really want to try somewhere else to experience a more outdoorsy, laid back lifestyle and a safer environment but I doubt now that Perth is the best place to achieve this.

Kind Regards
ACE:confused:

karawara88 Aug 23rd 2003 10:22 am

The problem is here in Perth the crime is on your doorstep. When its reported you know the area or have driven through it. So it feels a lot more personal.

We lived in Warrington but crime in Liverpool or Manchester was "somewhere else" had there been a TV station reporting all local crime, I guess the feeling would be different.

To put it into context, report on news, some guy crashed his car on the freeway this morning. !!! Not a major pile up or anything.

Imagine BBC reporting every crash on a motorway in the North West !!

So my feeling is the crime appears to be worse than it is, probably no different to any major UK city.

One of the freebie papers Western Suburbs Weekly prints out crime per area, burglaries, motor theft, graffiti,

week ending August 2

burglaries

Subiaco 9 , West Perth 9, Cottesloe 5 etc.etc.

car theft

Subiaco 3, Crawley 2, Floreat 1 etc. etc.

so its easy to see which areas to avoid. Subiaco seems to top the charts for burglary and car theft most weeks.

Kath Aug 23rd 2003 10:31 am

Originally posted by ACE
Hi All,
I must admit to being one of the naive one's who thought that there was less crime in Perth. Having read this thread last night I was unable to sleep as we have been planning this move for over three years and I am now seriously questioning the wisdom of our decision. I honestly thought it would be a good move for us especially as we may be coming on an exchange which means the same wages as hubby is on here, so no job or money problems and the opportunity to return to his old job after two years.

I am very greatful for all the honest posts as I see them as preparation for the worst that can happen but crime directed at children leaves me cold. Like most parents there is nothing more important to me than my children and so I have to really reconsider our future, the thought of exposing my children to more danger is what is really worrying me.

I have lived in Essex for 15 years, 10 on the sea front and 5 in a semi rural area, and I have only been a victim of crime once and that was because I rearly lock my car and my jacket was stolen.

The local paper reports crime in varying degrees but as Wilf says you read these things and think "the crime round here is terrible" wthout it ever really touching you.

We really want to try somewhere else to experience a more outdoorsy, laid back lifestyle and a safer environment but I doubt now that Perth is the best place to achieve this.

Kind Regards
ACE:confused:
Most people living in Australia move near the big cities and with that you get 'all sorts' of people living close to each other, therefore crime, perverts, grafitti is more common, you will get that in any city in the world.

You don't have to live in a congested area, if you are happy to travel to work you can live on acreage in a quiet suburb. We live 30 minutes from Perth city, in the Hills, we have a 1/2 acre block and bush all around us, parrots, possums, kangaroos etc. There is still crime up here but our local council and police are very active in the area, keeping crime down and ensuring parks, bus stops are looking clean and tidy. We also have neighbourhood watch. We've not suffered any trouble with hoons (joy riders), I don't think they can be bothered to come this far.

A good friend of mine lives further out of Perth (still only 40 minutes) she is on a 10 acre block, very good area, safe for children etc.

The Swan Valley, Kalamunda, Darlington, Mundaring, Bickley, Roleystone etc. etc. are beautiful areas with so much space for the children - which is fantastic after living so close to your neighbours in the UK. Don't let the crime stories put you off, also there is more to Perth than the beach!

jopaulss Aug 23rd 2003 11:34 am

You cant go on the what they say in the local freebie papers , the statistics change every week , and am afraid the thieves etc will target the nice areas , so what you are saying is stay away from all the nice areas !!! We know some one who lives in Carine nice nice house been burgled now 3 times !!! Very nice area carine and i would live there , we are all open to these people . I see on the news tonite an old lady in a retirement complex has had to fight off burglers bless her. Have you seen the prices of some of the houses in Subiaco !!!! Yes we know about the crime more than the uk , because we only have one city its obvious isnt it , but its still shocking when its happening on your door step , we arent all from major citys , we are from a sleepy village and this is a eye opener i can tell you , dont know what we where expecting but it was a little disapointing . but as long as you are aware of the fact that yes crime is happening and please dont let your guard down with your children then really as with anywhere thats all you can do isnt it . As Diane said she was shocked at the perverts up here as we where , and its frightning , kids they just arent safe anywhere arent they. You move where you want and all we can do is all hope we have picked a good area cant we, Good luck all it is worth it and we know we have been to hell and back since we got here , but we do love it .
Joanne

karawara88 Aug 23rd 2003 1:23 pm

You cant go on the what they say in the local freebie papers , the statistics change every week
I know stats change every week, it was just an example of what was found in a freebie paper. I would imagine most people had the intelligence to check it over a few weeks to get an idea of where frequent crime occurred. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As we are in Perth and have access to such information, is it not better to share with others, or do we pretend it does not excist.

jopaulss Aug 23rd 2003 1:27 pm

Have been sharing the info for over 2 years with people like us from home , there is only so much they want to here. Like you keep saying its just like manchester so nothing else really needs to be said . You say all the crime happens at home , we know that , PB has been trying to tell people , but no one listened , they acusse us of whinging , so no people dont want to here it back home . We can go on and give the statstics each week out os the papers what good will it do , we have been here nearly a year they change daily
Joanne

jopaulss Aug 23rd 2003 1:49 pm

Just want to say we have been here nearly a year now , we have been so homesick its unreal in the early days , didnt hit till the 3rd month , we had alot happen and i think most would have got a flight and gone home believe me . We have got through with some good friends here , and we are starting to enjoy it here , we do get homesick , we miss family etc . The crime is here it is in the uk its everywhere , we all know that . But if i share what happened to us i think most would be really put off , it could happen anywhere as i remember you once telling me , yes it could but god when it happens to your family it hurts. People are coming to start a new life we can give them so much info but only so much , the rest will go straight through , we didnt listen to alot of it , wish we had , but i still would have come i think , if the bad stuff just hadnt of happened. We have only been here as i said for nearly a year , i cant give loads of info like alot of people as they have been here for years and years , so i can only help a little . But we wish everyone good luck shit happens everywhere as they say on here.
Joanne

karawara88 Aug 23rd 2003 4:27 pm

Joanne,

I agree with what you say, most only hear what suits them. We are only here because we got home sick, sick of home that is. :D

ACE Aug 23rd 2003 7:20 pm

Thanks for all your words of wisdom and please keep posting. I would much prefer to hear about the downside of life in Oz rather than find out the hard way, fore warned is fore armed.

This forum is an invaluable resource to anyone thinking about emmigrating, who better to tell us of the realities of emmigrating to Oz or NZ than those who have done it.

Many Thanks
ACE;)