Reload this Page >

Perth. the north south divide

Wikiposts

Perth. the north south divide

Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:55 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth. the north south divide

Sounds ideal!!!

Where we end up is going to depend upon Malcs job and what happens there, as I'll be working from home so doesnt matter for me.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:57 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delia
For the people who have replied to this thread and like the idea of a semi rural lifestyle I'll try and give you a few insights.

1. peace and quiet when you sit in garden after work.
2. watching a wedged tailed eagle fly buy or some cockatoos
3. kangaroos eating your plants and shitting on the lawn ( we live on the edge of a national park)
4. dark starry nights.
5. lots of barefooted people
6. no class system. rich or poor,can't tell and don't care.
7. the girl at the post office gives you a parcel without you having to ask.
8. lots of chilled out people without stress on their faces.

there's much more but I'm sure you've got the drift.
Yep, very nice!
Although there's sure to be bad sides to it too. If you work in the city, it's a nightmare driving in....
A bit warmer as someone said.
Further from the beach if you do like to go occasionally.
Variety of shops smaller/further away etc(if you're into that)
I'm sure people can still be stressed even if they live in the hills, they could work in the city, have just as stressfull job as anybody else....

Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

For the people who have replied to this thread and like the idea of a semi rural lifestyle I'll try and give you a few insights.

3. kangaroos eating your plants and shitting on the lawn ( we live on the edge of a national park)
4. dark starry nights.

Hello Delia

I like all of the above except for the kangaroos messing on the lawn.

Theresa
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

The hills are unpretentious, suit a more villagey life. Bigger blocks of land, country pubs, community feel. You always have a bit of a drive to the themed pub and beach.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

delia is an unknown quantity at this point

I've sung its praises so a few bad points to keep some equilibrium.

1. when there's a lot of flys there're everywhere (10 bad days a year, not that bad really).
2. millipedes at the moment coming under the doors through the windows. horrible squirmy little sh**ts, last for a few more weeks.
3. big blocks need looking after, have raked about a billion leaves in last 6 months but should have some rest for a while.
4. power cuts on a hot night are absolutely shockingly unbearable.
5. nothing else really except for the wildlife, you see the odd bobtail lizard but these deter the snakes, we have cats who deter the mice, a huntsman or two, but they eat the other spiders.

get used it and its more good than bad.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

delia is an unknown quantity at this point

oh, and lots and lots of rain and then some more with pint sized raindrops beating the living daylights out of your colourbond roof, and cyclonic easterly winds that seem like there're going to pull the roof off. Like what happened at our local pub about 3 months ago
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:14 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Whats the Rivervale area like, I'm coming over for a wedding there in a couple of months & not sure whether to book accomodation there or in Perth central. Will probably stay for 5 days.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Theresa, Ian & Tim is on a distinguished road

We are hoping to be in Perth in 10 weeks and when we visited we looked at Roleystone, I loved it. It was so peaceful and still quite wild looking. How long would it take to drive into the city or is there a train station nearby?

theresa
Old Apr 13th 2005, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Theresa, Ian & Tim
We are hoping to be in Perth in 10 weeks and when we visited we looked at Roleystone, I loved it. It was so peaceful and still quite wild looking. How long would it take to drive into the city or is there a train station nearby?

theresa

From Roleystone, the nearest train station is Kelmscott, which is a about 5-10 minutes car ride. Dont yet know train commute times to CBD but kelmscott is a main stop so express trains will run from here( would guess no more than 1 hour). There is a direct bus link too from Roleystone to station.

To drive to CBD is 30-40 minutes off peak and probably 1 hour in rush hour. But in between there are the industrial areas of Perth Ie Welshpool/Kewdale.

Airport is 20 minutes.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:00 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

2. millipedes at the moment coming under the doors through the windows. horrible squirmy little sh**ts, last for a few more weeks.
OMG, I read about them in the paper! They're a plague at the moment in the hills, and even some city suburbs!!! Ewwwwww!

Great thread

For train times, check www.transperth.gov.au
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:02 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Simone
Yeah, that's not to bad!

But for us personally, still too expensive(looking at around 190 probably)
And need to be near a train for Pascal to go to Subiaco, because we don't want to get a second car(and him driving into Subiaco is not an option anyway, :scared: , so I would get the car Well, that's considering I work in Maddington at the moment, could change if they don't create a new position for me here soon)
You work in Maddington Simone? Whereabouts? Isn`t Maddington Metro one of the most boring shopping centre you`ve ever been to? My wife`s family end up there every thursday night for a coffee.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:15 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridiej
Hope we get there before that too......
HI Bridie does Bunbury come under Perth?? thought it was a long way away?
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:11 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by possoms
HI Bridie does Bunbury come under Perth?? thought it was a long way away?
No, not really it's about 2 hours south of Perth...
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:12 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

4. dark starry nights.

Sounds like my place, apart from the roo poo, and we love it. It doesn't have to be all burbs it would seem, no matter what state you live in
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hevs
It doesn't have to be all burbs it would seem, no matter what state you live in

Absolutely.

We are glad now that we have had a good year now of renting to get a feel of Perth, instead of jumping off a plane and putting down money on a house/ block of land in a burb we hardly knew. The idea of building a new house or buying a recently built one was attractive at the beginning. You cant help but be overly impressed with some show homes can you. But as time passed by and after much more research on the ground our wish to have a house in a new suburb diminished.
So we continued on looking at places to buy within our budget( upto 240k max) and with this our choices were really only in the outer suburbs (mainly south) of perth ie South Guildford/ Canning Vale/ South Lakes etc.

So looking a wee bit further afield and into the hills, there are a few houses within our budget and after plenty of visits up to these places( cant really call them suburbs coz it is not respectful ) we are now seriously lookin into it.

Last edited by Muzza04; Apr 13th 2005 at 11:53 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.