Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth NOR or SOR?

Perth NOR or SOR?

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Perth NOR or SOR?

If you were going to work in or around the Perth CBD would it be better to live NOR or SOR and how far out could you live to have around about a 30 - 40 Min commute?

We are looking to rent initially but will once we are settled and I think we would have around 400-450K to spend and would need 4/5 beds, so I think that will have an impact on the area too.

I know there have been many posts on the area but this is more about the commute times.

Any suggestions.

Ta
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth NOR or SOR?

Do you want beach or burbs??? What are your interests? Do you have kids? What ages...what do you do? What kind of lifestyle are you looking for.... What kind of education are you looking for... Will you be driving to cbd or training??

Do you need kids and teen activities? Or a bowling green (with apologies to those of my friends who bowl, no offence intended it was a bonus)

We landed SOR and stayed SOR... At the time it was cheaper for rentals and housing... Looks like it may still be...

There are trains that go both ways...

So the world is your oyster...
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:53 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct Eddie..
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Ok eddie good point.

I think we would prefer a beach to be near, and we have 4 children 17, 16, 13 and 9. I think I might like to try using a train for work.

We live in Cornwall at the moment so we are used to non-city life and all that goes with it. As to the kids, education is important they like the outdoor life as long as they can have equal xbox time. One is an air cadet here and would like to continue in Oz.

Does that help at all?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Air cadet info: http://www.cadetswa.wa.gov.au/conten...ate.asp?CID=17

Can recommend surf livesaving as a summer sport for all the kids, from October to March: http://www.mybeach.com.au/. There are many more clubs NOR than SOR (Secret Harbour and Coogee).

Schools a hotly discussed subject on here, search for previous threads. There are unis NOR and SOR.

If you end up having to drive to the CBD for some reason, it is easier from the north than the south.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Katalyna is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently live SOR - only 15 min from the CBD traffic depending! But as eddie said, it definitely is a bit cheaper to live SOR! My relos living NOR tend to pay a bit more in rent/fuel etc

You can probably look NOR in places like Joondalup or Currambine for a few nice-ish apartments if you were truly keen - there's about a 40 min train ride into the city from those places! Mandurah is starting to turn into a bit of a hot spot! (And it's right near the beach!)

Perth is rapidly expanding in both directions - so what may be considered 'outskirts suburb living' today, in a year or two may be considered 'city living' sadly.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:51 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Perth -Joondalup train 25 mins

[url]http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au

Last edited by Ballys; Feb 24th 2011 at 3:53 am. Reason: Add link
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:59 am
Just Joined

Katalyna is an unknown quantity at this point

Well see there ya go 25 minutes from Joondalup - I've only ever taken the train from the CBD to Mandurah
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

EOR
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks people, so SOR seems to be cheaper. What are the beaches like SOR compared to NOR?

Thanks for the Air Cadet link HelenTD

Is driving to the city considered a no go then?

Sorry for these questions but I am having a second interview on Monday and will have to speed up our desicion on where to live initially.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

beaches good all over... safe pommie swimming beach (best in wa) rockingham

driving to the city from either direction is hit and miss... one accident on the freeway can turn a 45 minute drive into a 4 hour drive

rush our is hell.... not M25 hell but bad for people who hav adapted to life without traffic..

when it rains a lot traffic lights go out... causes chaos..

bush fires have been known to close freeways... and train lines

hope tha helps
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
beaches good all over... safe pommie swimming beach (best in wa) rockingham
Each year, the Keep Australia Beautiful campaign runs state and national competitions for the Clean Beaches Awards. A beach can be nominated by a local group, such as a surf lifesaving club, a local council, school, tourism or business associations.

Rockingham won the award last year, plus two of the other awards. Other WA beaches have been nominated and win the award, such as our two nearest beaches. The title is only held for the year it wins, although the honour can last much longer.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:13 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cottelsoe my fav ,even tho SOR
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:29 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancastrian48
Cottelsoe my fav ,even tho SOR
Cottesloe is NOR mate, need to brush up on your geography
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
Cottesloe is NOR mate, need to brush up on your geography
I think they live SOR but like cottesloe which like you say is NOR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.