Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

perth new comers,what do you think ?

perth new comers,what do you think ?

Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:50 am
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: here there,fluck knows where?
Posts: 7,444
aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default perth new comers,what do you think ?

i just wrote a page long thread but i thought sod it,,i dont want to start another big row ,so ill try to compress it into a few sentences..

it went something like,

how i was shitting myself about some of the stuff i was reading on here,when i was packing 40 years of my life into a suit case and uprooting my kids..

and how i dont think you should believe everything you read on here,,

well after being here six months yes a lot of the stuff i read is is true,,

a lot of it isnt

some of the stuff,ive written since ive been here has been exaggerated because i love it here,some of the stuff my piers wrote was exaggerated because they hate it..see im rambling on about the same shite now that people have been arguing about well before my time...

if your heading here,your the only one who counts,,dont let people sink your dream before youve had it,,

what do you think about the constant argument?

sorry all but fluck me perth has took some stick today..
aston man is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:53 am
  #2  
The Godfather
 
Bordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: South East Suburbs of Melbourne
Posts: 7,336
Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

I reckon Perth comes in for more stick than any other Aussie city.
Bordy is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:00 am
  #3  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Manchester
Posts: 32
bstardo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

highest majority of people....struggling

As a 32 year old, I have struggled and expect nothing else, its what I do and comes with life.
I/we struggled in many different places, , my oh , was a bit of whinger but has mellowed, as he has found out what he wants in life, finally.

But the outcome is, it was never the place or country, it was him. the inability to be happy and content with his lot.

It takes alot to say that and he has admitted it.
bstardo is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:13 am
  #4  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: here there,fluck knows where?
Posts: 7,444
aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

Originally Posted by bstardo View Post
highest majority of people....struggling

As a 32 year old, I have struggled and expect nothing else, its what I do and comes with life.
I/we struggled in many different places, , my oh , was a bit of whinger but has mellowed, as he has found out what he wants in life, finally.

But the outcome is, it was never the place or country, it was him. the inability to be happy and content with his lot.

It takes alot to say that and he has admitted it.
do i know you...?are you my wife...
aston man is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:19 am
  #5  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Manchester
Posts: 32
bstardo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

no, plenty of ping pong pommes around,,,,,,,

we are so glad of the experience it has brought us,
bstardo is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:22 am
  #6  
Im a woomaaan
 
gobbyjock's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,978
gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

I think maybe it depends on your expectations - I love it here in Perth so far but I didn`t expect it to be shangri-la. I am well aware that this time next year I may be saying the opposite and hate it, because you just don`t know what is round the corner and constant knocks wear you down, colouring your view of everything around you.
The stuff I read on here before moving did worry me but I knew I had to try for myself. There is some stuff which I feel was better in UK but which I didn`t appreciate and there is other stuff I think is better Aussie style. There will always be the things that are annoying wherever you are, but thats the way it is, no point me stressing about stuff I can`t change just because I don`t agree with the way it`s done.
gobbyjock is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:48 am
  #7  
 
julesandco's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Secret Harbour, WA
Posts: 1,496
julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

Everywhere has it's faults. Nowhere is perfect; we aren't perfect.

Perth suits us as a family. It is beautiful. There is tons to do for us on our doorstep. We are lucky enough to have a boat and Mandurah has the ocean, estuary and the rivers; the best of everything.

We are in business, so deal alot with the Eastern States which can make the time difference a little awkward.

I don't think Perth deserves the 'boring' tag it gets stuck with. In my opinion, everything is out there, you just need to extract yourself from the armchair to find it.

We've visited Brisbane and were glad to return 'home' to WA. Don't get me wrong, there are some beautiful parts of Brissie and I'm sure if we had to live there, we'd find somewhere we were happy with, but the water restrictions and the climate (I think) would be hard to deal with.

We have found that it is expensive to leave - something to do with being 'isolated' apparently - one of the only downfalls we have come across.

There are still 'pinch me' moments; like the canals at Christmas. Like the outdoor cinema. Like the free BBQs (I know it's not just WA).

This whole emigration process has been SO much harder than we had anticipated on so many levels, but hopefully, it will all be worth it in the end and I'm sure when my sons hit 16 they will be thanking us from the bottom of their hormones that we moved to Perth (if you know what I mean!!!)

Jules x

Last edited by julesandco; Dec 29th 2007 at 11:49 am. Reason: spooling
julesandco is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:50 am
  #8  
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

Originally Posted by bstardo View Post
highest majority of people....struggling

As a 32 year old, I have struggled and expect nothing else, its what I do and comes with life.
I/we struggled in many different places, , my oh , was a bit of whinger but has mellowed, as he has found out what he wants in life, finally.

But the outcome is, it was never the place or country, it was him. the inability to be happy and content with his lot.

It takes alot to say that and he has admitted it.

I've got to ask - coz I'm inquisitive - you're in the UK, you say your oh is now happy and settled (presumably in the UK) so why did he search out the expats site and why join if it bears no relation to your situation ....
username 34 is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:05 pm
  #9  
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,376
FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

Originally Posted by Bordy View Post
I reckon Perth comes in for more stick than any other Aussie city.
It does, that comes from being so bloody far away from everything. Only a minority would want to live there, hence the majority enjoy the opportunity to take the piss.

Fact of the matter is, who cares what anyone else thinks? Surely, it's a personal decision, one that only you can make?

I personally, think Perth is goygeous but wouldnt live there for love, nor money! If it's for you, then so be it, I respect that.
FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:11 pm
  #10  
Im a woomaaan
 
gobbyjock's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,978
gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

I dunno Ast - I`ve been sitting here thinking about this and maybe we all analyse it too much when we emigrate. The process makes you assess your life and magnify every minute part of it. At the end of the day the thing that is relevant to each individual is their own experiences and their perception of them. I`ve given up bothering about what others think of Perth - we all have our own version of the truth - doesn`t make it any less valid.
gobbyjock is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:14 pm
  #11  
 
julesandco's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Secret Harbour, WA
Posts: 1,496
julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer View Post
It does, that comes from being so bloody far away from everything.
Why does it matter how far you are from other places when you are living somewhere you are happy with?

Yes, it is expensive to leave given the lack of population driving prices up, but when you're here, I don't think it matters how far you are from England anymore than it would if you lived in any of the Eastern States.

It's the 'boring' tag I can't fathom. What do people need that Perth doesn't offer? Answers on a postcard please

Jules x
julesandco is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:15 pm
  #12  
 
julesandco's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Secret Harbour, WA
Posts: 1,496
julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

Originally Posted by gobbyjock View Post
I`ve given up bothering about what others think of Perth
Very true.

Horses for courses. Just need a few more 'good mates' under my belt and we'll be sorted I think...... oh and PR would be nice

julesandco is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:19 pm
  #13  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: here there,fluck knows where?
Posts: 7,444
aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

Originally Posted by julesandco View Post
Why does it matter how far you are from other places when you are living somewhere you are happy with?

Yes, it is expensive to leave given the lack of population driving prices up, but when you're here, I don't think it matters how far you are from England anymore than it would if you lived in any of the Eastern States.

It's the 'boring' tag I can't fathom. What do people need that Perth doesn't offer? Answers on a postcard please

Jules x
hey jules ,to be honest,,i would of liked to have a look round,we live here for one reason and one reason only,,,

because as much as i kid myself ,,the gaffer chose...

im such a sucker..i think its easy for a man to live anywhere though,,foxtel sports is the same here in perth as it is on the gold coast..
aston man is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:20 pm
  #14  
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,376
FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

Originally Posted by julesandco View Post
Why does it matter how far you are from other places when you are living somewhere you are happy with?
That was my point!
FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:22 pm
  #15  
 
julesandco's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Secret Harbour, WA
Posts: 1,496
julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

Originally Posted by aston man View Post
hey jules ,to be honest,,i would of liked to have a look round,we live here for one reason and one reason only,,,

because as much as i kid myself ,,the gaffer chose...

im such a sucker..i think its easy for a man to live anywhere though,,foxtel sports is the same here in perth as it is on the gold coast..
Exactly!! It's just on a couple of hours later in WA : rofl: so nothing's ever 'live'

WA - the East's 'Sloppy Seconds'. Might write to the WA tourist board and see if they want that one
julesandco is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.