Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

perth new comers,what do you think ?

perth new comers,what do you think ?

Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:22 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: perth new comers,what do you think ?

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
That was my point!
Was it?

Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:26 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by julesandco
Was it?

Nah, I made it up! Just trying to win friends and influence people!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:28 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Nah, I made it up! Just trying to win friends and influence people!
I'm liking it........ keep going

You're influencing me.......

but then again - I think I'm already under the influence!

How are you enjoying things? I noticed your Xmas thread, you look happy enough
Old Dec 29th 2007, 12:34 pm
Banned

bstardo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by islandmom
I've got to ask - coz I'm inquisitive - you're in the UK, you say your oh is now happy and settled (presumably in the UK) so why did he search out the expats site and why join if it bears no relation to your situation ....
we will be departing good ol UK next year, for a sunnier climate, have job will travel.

Uk is fine, if you want it, we know we dont.

Like I say experience is only gained when you dont get what you want....the first time, now we have what we want will have it in the NEw year,
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:59 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesandco
We have found that it is expensive to leave - something to do with being 'isolated' apparently - one of the only downfalls we have come across.
I recently booked 3 return flights to Melbourne for next year on Tiger for the grand total of AUD300 (AUD50 one-way per seat).

The time they are a'changing.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:02 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
I`ve given up bothering about what others think of Perth
Sound advice. Perth will be whatever you want it to be.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 43 km away from perth.... its there when I need it.... I drive to the city everyday that I work and as I round the bend on the Kwinana and see that skyline I just well up inside... its beautiful...

and as for boring, I LOVE boring... I LOVE quiet, still, beautiful.... you can keep dirty busy exciting places... full of lead heads...
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:21 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
i just wrote a page long thread but i thought sod it,,i dont want to start another big row ,so ill try to compress it into a few sentences..

it went something like,

how i was shitting myself about some of the stuff i was reading on here,when i was packing 40 years of my life into a suit case and uprooting my kids..

and how i dont think you should believe everything you read on here,,

well after being here six months yes a lot of the stuff i read is is true,,

a lot of it isnt

some of the stuff,ive written since ive been here has been exaggerated because i love it here,some of the stuff my piers wrote was exaggerated because they hate it..see im rambling on about the same shite now that people have been arguing about well before my time...

if your heading here,your the only one who counts,,dont let people sink your dream before youve had it,,

what do you think about the constant argument?

sorry all but fluck me perth has took some stick today..
Good thread aston ,its good to see that you have settled in and i guess only time will tell on wether you and your family stay as often it is just the very isolation of perth that drives some people around the bend ,but at the end of the day does it all really matter ,stay or go at least we have all tried it and done it .
I have been here in perth 20 yrs ,i have done it and its time to move the difficult one for us is will it be back to the uk or over east .
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:55 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
i just wrote a page long thread but i thought sod it,,i dont want to start another big row ,so ill try to compress it into a few sentences..

it went something like,

how i was shitting myself about some of the stuff i was reading on here,when i was packing 40 years of my life into a suit case and uprooting my kids..

and how i dont think you should believe everything you read on here,,

well after being here six months yes a lot of the stuff i read is is true,,

a lot of it isnt

some of the stuff,ive written since ive been here has been exaggerated because i love it here,some of the stuff my piers wrote was exaggerated because they hate it..see im rambling on about the same shite now that people have been arguing about well before my time...

if your heading here,your the only one who counts,,dont let people sink your dream before youve had it,,

what do you think about the constant argument?

sorry all but fluck me perth has took some stick today..
Yep. There are lots of people on here who slag Perth off. But of those:
*Some have never lived here - they hear this reputation Perth had (justifiably) 20 years ago about being Dullsville and do not realise it has changed from a large country town to a busy metropolis on the back of the resources boom.
*Some just failed to do the research. It only takes a few hours on the internet to realise Perth is smaller and less bustling than some of the major east coast cities. If you spent a fortune on such a life-changing decision and came here then realised Sydney etc was more your sort of thing I have little sympathy. Similarly if you buy a house 40km from the city and then complain there isn't much to do out there and you are not prepared to travel into the city you will also find little sympathy here. If you like the open air, boating, fishing, camping etc it is a great place to be.
*Others have issues to do with something other than Perth (such as teenagers who return to the UK) and for those I do have sympathy. But blaming that on Perth is not fair.

For the record we know of a few families who whinged on here that Perth was not for them and have returned to the UK or gone east but realised that was a mistake and on their way back here.

For two years I made it my mission to balance out the negative, ill-informed, ingorant and even just plain s**t-stirring posts on here about Perth but I am getting to the point where I can't be bothered. Which is a shame as I could easily have gone elsewhere if I had taken some of the rubbish I read on here before we came seriously and I want to help others in the same situation.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by worzel
Yep. There are lots of people on here who slag Perth off. But of those:
*Some have never lived here - they hear this reputation Perth had (justifiably) 20 years ago about being Dullsville and do not realise it has changed from a large country town to a busy metropolis on the back of the resources boom.
*Some just failed to do the research. It only takes a few hours on the internet to realise Perth is smaller and less bustling than some of the major east coast cities. If you spent a fortune on such a life-changing decision and came here then realised Sydney etc was more your sort of thing I have little sympathy. Similarly if you buy a house 40km from the city and then complain there isn't much to do out there and you are not prepared to travel into the city you will also find little sympathy here. If you like the open air, boating, fishing, camping etc it is a great place to be.
*Others have issues to do with something other than Perth (such as teenagers who return to the UK) and for those I do have sympathy. But blaming that on Perth is not fair.

For the record we know of a few families who whinged on here that Perth was not for them and have returned to the UK or gone east but realised that was a mistake and on their way back here.

For two years I made it my mission to balance out the negative, ill-informed, ingorant and even just plain s**t-stirring posts on here about Perth but I am getting to the point where I can't be bothered. Which is a shame as I could easily have gone elsewhere if I had taken some of the rubbish I read on here before we came seriously and I want to help others in the same situation.
Please dont give up, people like me need a balanced view. I agree with you if people end up in the wrong place they only have themselves to blame. I loved Perth on my reccie, have researched as much as i can and hope i will love it when i move there in 2008, but if i dont it will be my own fault not Perths.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:23 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midwife-mandy
Please dont give up, people like me need a balanced view. I agree with you if people end up in the wrong place they only have themselves to blame. I loved Perth on my reccie, have researched as much as i can and hope i will love it when i move there in 2008, but if i dont it will be my own fault not Perths.
All i can say is if you can deal with the isolation of perth as it can be expensive to get anywhere or failing that you may find you dont have the time to go away and really see the real australia ,then you will be fine .
Some people like to experience other towns and go for country drives which have decent amenities ,you may have trouble doing that here in the west .
If somebody said to you ''you can only live in southampton and never go outside of its boundaries '' youd go mad after you had been and done all the things the city offered ,it is then the whinging and whining starts and that is when its time to move .
Old Dec 30th 2007, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

Well we have been here 9 weeks now... Perth is what you make it

The post's we saw on here, we dicided to take with a pinch of salt,

Glad we did its definalty not all bad, there are problems here but just as any city in the world.

We came with the attituded of we are the migrants in the strange country so we should try and live there ways (OH was always the first to moan about gettos in the UK) no point living as poms in our own bit of the uk cause we could save the money and stayed put...........

So far so good
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:24 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

I've said it before - but..................it really is a case of horses for courses!

I Just don't 'get' peeps who slag off another's choice of town or city!

For us, Perth is stunning, I love it, I adore it and I will probably retire there, but for now, it's just a tad too quiet..

Each to their own
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:29 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

What I don't get is how others slag off a persons intellect for liking a certain place. To be honest the more people that go somewhere other than Perth is fine by me, keeps it the quiet backwater it is for folk that like it that way.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
What I don't get is how others slag off a persons intellect for liking a certain place. To be honest the more people that go somewhere other than Perth is fine by me, keeps it the quiet backwater it is for folk that like it that way.
Well, I think you are an ignoramus for not getting it. So there!

I'm actually with you on this one NB - but then again I agree with a lot of what you say. If people don't want to come here then that's fine with me. Keeps Perth smallish if less people come.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.