Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Monthly Costs

Perth Monthly Costs

Old Aug 19th 2012, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Jason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really nice
Default Perth Monthly Costs

Hi

Can anyone let me have a generic list of monthly costs please - appreciate everyones different, but just an idea for our plans

We are 2 adults 3 kids moving to Perth in Oct. Kids are 6,8,11.

Bills
food
rentals bonds / deposits
kids
fuel
insurance
rent - were aiming for $700 week
internet
car insurance
etc etc

Sorry if this has been asked before,

thanks
jason
Old Aug 19th 2012, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all
Default Re: Perth Monthly Costs

Originally Posted by Jason mears
Hi

Can anyone let me have a generic list of monthly costs please - appreciate everyones different, but just an idea for our plans

We are 2 adults 3 kids moving to Perth in Oct. Kids are 6,8,11.

Bills
food 150 - 250 per week
rentals bonds / deposits usually 4 weeks rent
kids only you no that one depends on clubs activities ect
fuel 50 - 75 per week (normal shopping and a bit of commuting)
insurance house car allow 50 per week
rent - were aiming for $700 week anywhere between 400 up depends on where you live , pool ect
internet phone/net bundle around 120 a month telstra
car insurance
etc etc

Sorry if this has been asked before,

thanks
jason
we manage on around 1200 a week and save a couple of hundred, that said it all depends on how you live, if you eat out a lot and have fancy tastes then you wil need more, the good thing about aus is you can do it cheap or dear, loads of stuff is free and doesnt have to cost a lot. i will say that a day out at the theme parks can cost a fortune so we use these days as treats, birthdays ect, same with eating out, we often take food down to the parks and have a cook up ect. good luck and enjoy it.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all

Just to add gas and electric - we've just had our electric bill for the last 2 months and it is $700! We do not use a tumble dryer and this is due to having reverse cycle air con sometimes in our freezing house!

We also pay gas of approx $200 per month.

So roughly $600 per month on gas and electric.

Foxtel (poorer version of Sky) costs $140 per month for full package.

Good luck

Vicky
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Just 2 of us, currently renting, but will soon be buying :-

Rent - $600 a week.
Eletric - $100 a month.
Gas/Water - Don't pay, but $100 a month.
Rates (Council/Water) - Don't pay, but $2000 / $1000 a year.
Phone/Internet - $100 a month.
Fox - $100 a month.
Food - $200 a week.
Car insurance - $600 a year.
Rego - $600 a year.
Fuel - $50 a week (one person comuting local).
TransPerth - $25 a week (commuting to the city on the train).
Old Aug 20th 2012, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

livvyg has a spectacular aura aboutlivvyg has a spectacular aura aboutlivvyg has a spectacular aura about

Hi we are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 preschoolers ouur outgoings are:

Household bills e.g gas, water usage and electric - $60 pw covers all 3 for us, rates not payable if you are renting.
food - between $200-300 per week but we do not shop around
rentals bonds / deposits - 4 x weekly rent
kids daycare - $70 per child per day (not including govt rebates), activities such as swimming, indoor playparks, zoo etc about $10 approx per child, but my kids are too young for sports and clubs so dont know much about that.
fuel - approx $1.45 a litre at the moment, we spend about $120 a week, husband commutes about 60kms per day, I drive around town.
insurance - contents about $30 a month
rent - (for a reasonable house, depending on suburb) $400 upwards
internet _ home phone plus good internet - $110 per month
mobile plans, mine is $40 per month, hubbies iphone $64 per month, tons of calls & internet download included
car insurance - 10 yr old sedan - $35 per month, new hilux $70 per month fully comp, full no claims etc
car rego approx $500-700 per year depending on size of car

cant think of anything else!
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

2 adults and 4 kids

Off the top of my head:

food - we're about $350-$400 a week including eating out

kids - per child: swimming $150 a term, ballet $155 a term, soccer $300 for the season, Nippers (surf lifesaving) $500 for the family, Cubs/Scouts $250 a year, Minkey hockey - $150 for the season

fuel - 2 cars approx $125 a week (bloody activities!)

insurance - house $1000, cars $600 each, life $88 a month, dog $35 a month

internet - $65 a month

Mobile - $45 a month

SkypeOut/Online Number - $15 a month

Cinema - $18 adult/$11 child

Doctor - $75 then take-off Medicare

After school care - $28 for 2.30pm - 6pm ($14 after childcare rebate)

RAC - $130 a year

School booklists - from $100 for the youngest to $620 for the oldest

Birthday parties presents - a big cost for us as the kids are usually invited to at least 2 most weekends. This works out as about $200 a month.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Note to the OP - unless you live very close to the city you really will need two cars unless someone can take the bus/train every day. It's doable with one it will severely restrict your movements.

Public transport in Perth can be very patchy especially in the North and things are much more spread out.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Note to the OP - unless you live very close to the city you really will need two cars unless someone can take the bus/train every day. It's doable with one it will severely restrict your movements.

Public transport in Perth can be very patchy especially in the North and things are much more spread out.
If someone works in the city it is perfectly doable. We have been here 7 years and have only ever had one car. I can count on less than 2 hands the amount of times it has been an issue.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
If someone works in the city it is perfectly doable. We have been here 7 years and have only ever had one car. I can count on less than 2 hands the amount of times it has been an issue.
Due to the number of kids and after school activities there is no way we could do without 2 cars - in our suburb nothing is round the corner or a 2 minute walk away.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 9:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I only have 2 kids but we do the usual sports, music, dance etc and never needed it and believe me I don't walk anywhere I was just pointing out that for some it is doable.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galba
2 adults and 4 kids

Off the top of my head:

food - we're about $350-$400 a week including eating out

kids - per child: swimming $150 a term, ballet $155 a term, soccer $300 for the season, Nippers (surf lifesaving) $500 for the family, Cubs/Scouts $250 a year, Minkey hockey - $150 for the season

fuel - 2 cars approx $125 a week (bloody activities!)

insurance - house $1000, cars $600 each, life $88 a month, dog $35 a month

internet - $65 a month

Mobile - $45 a month

SkypeOut/Online Number - $15 a month

Cinema - $18 adult/$11 child

Doctor - $75 then take-off Medicare

After school care - $28 for 2.30pm - 6pm ($14 after childcare rebate)

RAC - $130 a year

School booklists - from $100 for the youngest to $620 for the oldest

Birthday parties presents - a big cost for us as the kids are usually invited to at least 2 most weekends. This works out as about $200 a month.
Did you forget mortgage/rent.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Did you forget mortgage/rent.
I didn't put in our rent as it's a huge amount and the OP had already stated what they wanted to spend.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galba
I didn't put in our rent as it's a huge amount and the OP had already stated what they wanted to spend.
Fair enough.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I only have 2 kids but we do the usual sports, music, dance etc and never needed it and believe me I don't walk anywhere I was just pointing out that for some it is doable.
For some it is doable, but for many it is not. Not everyone will be working in the CBD either.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Agreed. I currently use the train (and have done for 12months) into the CBD. The station is a 5min walk away (at either end).

We've just bought a house, and one of the requirements was near a train station. The new place is even closer.

It's cheap ($2 each way), regular (every 15 mins), clean (no litter and eletric), fast (5 stops - 7mins) and air conditioned.

People here moan about it, but compared to SouthWest Trains it's great.

Busses are also an alternative, and can be combined with trains on the same fare.

The best bet is to use Google Maps, use the "get directions" and click the public transport link - it'll give you timetables and show you the best routes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.