Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth to Melbourne??

Perth to Melbourne??

Old Jul 1st 2009, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Shaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to all
Question Perth to Melbourne??

Hello there,

Originally from Belfast, we've lived in Perth now for nearly 4 yrs. Work has slowed down considerably for us lately (building trade) and are looking at a move to Melbourne, if we can get the work mind. Plus we're a bit bored with the place so I reckon it's time for another adventure.......before OH heads back home....heaven forbid!

I know alot of you are from Melbourne so any help would be greatly appreciated, as we have never been before and haven't a clue on where to start. Idea's on suburbs etc.

North, South, East or West?
We have kids aged 21, 14, 11 & 8.
We enjoy boating, fishing, parks and the beach.
An area where we don't have to drive miles to get to somewhere.

Also, has anyone ever driven from Perth to Melbourne?

Any info to start us off would be great or any websites that you could recommend we look up.

I look forward to hearing the good and the bad!

Shaz x
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Choice will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Perth to Melbourne??

Originally Posted by Shaz&Dee
Hello there,

Originally from Belfast, we've lived in Perth now for nearly 4 yrs. Work has slowed down considerably for us lately (building trade) and are looking at a move to Melbourne, if we can get the work mind. Plus we're a bit bored with the place so I reckon it's time for another adventure.......before OH heads back home....heaven forbid!

I know alot of you are from Melbourne so any help would be greatly appreciated, as we have never been before and haven't a clue on where to start. Idea's on suburbs etc.

North, South, East or West?
We have kids aged 21, 14, 11 & 8.
We enjoy boating, fishing, parks and the beach.
An area where we don't have to drive miles to get to somewhere.

Also, has anyone ever driven from Perth to Melbourne?

Any info to start us off would be great or any websites that you could recommend we look up.

I look forward to hearing the good and the bad!

Shaz x
what aspect of the building trade is your husband in ? Construction on a local level is booming still - but not so much huge unionised sites. We live in S.E suburbs and there is loads going on to do with residential housing as the suburbs sprawl out. Close to the sea and not too far from city or mountains.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Shaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to all

Hi,

We're all plasterers, mostly do the white set (finish).

Your area sounds good, what is it called? There's not much scenery here in Perth either so a few mountains would be nice!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:36 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Your area sounds good, what is it called? There's not much scenery here in Perth either so a few mountains would be nice!
Plenty of big mountains in Victoria and they are covered in snow this time of year, you don't get that in Perth, you will find the countryside alot more interesting and scenic in VIctoria if your into hikeing and the outdoors. A better option then driving is l think you can put your car on a carriage on a train over to Melbourne.

Last edited by mohogony; Jul 1st 2009 at 8:39 am.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

We've got a car and a ute to get over so the train would be perfect, I didn't fancy the idea of driving there!

Not so much into the hiking (more a stagger home from the pub) but I do like nice scenery, thats something I DID like about home.

Is there much of a boating scene in Melbourne? If so what areas would the main boat ramps be?

Is there any areas that we should definately avoid?
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

We live in a small suburb called Waterways 5 mins drive from the sea. Mordialloc, Mentone, Aspendale are all on the bay, but maybe 30-40 mins away from the Dandenong Ranges. Google earth them and you will get an idea of their location. Not an expert on plastering, but most new houses are dry lined here and just have the joins smoothed over. Some house builders here are Metricon, Porter Davis, Henley Homes. Hubby generally works within 30 - 45 mins from home. Lots of work out cranbourne way but that is a little more inland (but hence cheaper housing than on the bayside). Also, mainly wooden framed, which I think may be different to Perth ?
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

We've got a car and a ute to get over so the train would be perfect, I didn't fancy the idea of driving there!

Not so much into the hiking (more a stagger home from the pub) but I do like nice scenery, thats something I DID like about home.

Is there much of a boating scene in Melbourne? If so what areas would the main boat ramps be?

Is there any areas that we should definately avoid?
Boat ramp in Mordialloc, Patterson Lakes - loads more but can't think off the top of my head.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:11 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

QUOTE]

Apparey Sky business says frankston is going to be a hot spot with the new infrastructure.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:09 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Could try Altona, on the west side, if you don't mind suburbs. Plenty of boat ramps, sailing & fishing clubs, and a beach there (not the best beach, mind you), and also on the right side of Melbourne if you wanted to head west out to Torquay for surfing and then on to the Great Ocean Road.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 12:55 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

There is a thread currently in The Barbie where someone has kindly provided a pdf of the Where to Live in Melbourne guide. Download a copy as it's really useful with lots of stats on schools, crime, house prices etc.