Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - Job market getting serious - or is it just me ?

Perth - Job market getting serious - or is it just me ?

Old Aug 25th 2013, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - Job market getting serious - or is it just me ?

They are still laying off lots of people in mining/engineering and some say it is going to be bad for next couple of years as not much new stuff on horizon. Not too sure how much this then impacts on other sectors in WA?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smidsy
Thanks for the replies !

Its early days on the thread, but no accountants in Perth have replied, perhaps it is just me ?
I am not in Perth but am an accountant, I have observed for a good year or so that the job market for accountants is extremely slow and highly competitive. I am not surprised it is problematic in Perth where there is the extra dynamic of the slowing resource sector as well as accountancy being slow generally.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Education and Health also suffering
Old Aug 29th 2013, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Daughter (NyZ) got the new job as project coordinator at the new delivery partner of the NBN... First one there apparently.

She's also in the state championships of INBA in Balcatta (bikini) on the 14th September. Could be off to California.

Doesn't half make me wonder how she struggled to get decent jobs in her 5 years in London, as she has got almost every job she's gone for in this country.

Maybe she faced the same kind of bias in the UK and London that some people face here ?

Does seem odd though..... Like HR people really dont employ the best people for the job quite often. There seems to be a definite nationality bias in both countries.

Her record and peoples experiences on here are proof enough for me.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

My anectodal experience in Perth over the last 12 months is it is very hard out there.

OH is in Corporate Governance, he was let go this time last year, unemployed for 8 months before he got a 3 month contract and finally 5 weeks ago started a permanent job with the state governement. He was applying for anything and everything and it was soul destroying.

Accountant friend at work has been applying for accountancy jobs for the past 6 months, has had one interview in that time.

Another friend at work's husband is a project manager who was let go in June, 12 weeks later he's still looking and she's saying this is the longest he's ever been out of work in 7 years (he's a contactor so used to moving around).

Friend working in health (IT based) has not struggled, in fact gone from strength to strength and had numerous job offers in the past 12 months.

I wouldn't want to be looking for a job in Perth at the moment, and I'm thankful the OH now has a permanet job as those 8 months were pretty bad.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Recession incoming?
Old Aug 31st 2013, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Correction and reality going to kick in.
Some may hurt.

A few indicators around that things arent what they were, you just need to open your eyes.