Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth House Prices Plummet

Perth House Prices Plummet

Old May 4th 2009, 10:27 am
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Perth House Prices Plummet

Gold Coast Times: Sellers flood housing market

http://forum.globalhousepricecrash.c...c=43476&st=150

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

http://www.hotspotting.com.au/index....productId=1186

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...al-estate.html

Looks like the Coast of Gold is in some trouble, was thinking of heading there aswell?

Any thoughts!
Old May 4th 2009, 10:34 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The ABS stats that came out this morning.

I have just extrapulated the following aswell, to show the index of New Property price movements from 1987

http://www.britzinoz.com/images/new-...009-growth.jpg
can't argue about this one
Old May 4th 2009, 10:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by brendarover

Any thoughts!
My first thought is that everyone is talking about how the first home buyers grant has pushed up property prices recently, and everyone is paying inflated prices.

Followed by the reports that say that prices have dropped in the last 3 months, again, ....

Old May 4th 2009, 10:59 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Perth House Prices Plummet

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I know of people who bought a new house, valued at a stupid price by Real Estate agents and not challenged by the banks who took for granted the price was right. Greed by the two institutions who should have known better.

This has now meant the house was re-valued when they wanted to sell and it's now at a much lesser value than they bought it for.
I bet their mortgage was huge and their equity was negligible.

Moral of the story: do your research and don't buy a house you can't afford.
Old May 4th 2009, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernlights
Even Krudd's handouts and FHOG can't stop the rot.

I feel sorry for all those sheeple who have bought property recently, they are going to be in negative equity in no time at all.

This is only the start.
+1

the FHOG is denial,property ramping at its best.

prices have to come down to sustainable and affordable levels.

its happening all over the world so it has to happen in oz...........but i`m sure "hutch" will come along soon to this thread and "bull" it up a little
Old May 4th 2009, 11:33 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Moral of the story: do your research and don't buy a house you can't afford.
I don't think it's fair to presume these people didn't do their research or buy a house that at the time they were told they couldn't afford.

There are millions of people all over the western world in the same position. The largest majority were given incorrect investment advice by the very institutions who should have known better.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

According to the BBC, UK house prices to fall 28% from their peak value in summer 07. Hopefully Perth will fall by at least the same amount.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:28 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Perth House Prices Plummet

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I don't think it's fair to presume these people didn't do their research or buy a house that at the time they were told they couldn't afford.
I think it is. Watch Debtland, the Four Corners report on Australia's "rising sludge of debt". Then watch Mortgage Meltdown, the Four Corners documentary on the US subprime mortgage crisis.

The common thread? People buying houses that they couldn't even afford before the crash, let alone afterwards. People who bought overvalued houses because they thought they "deserved something better". People who weren't prepared to sit tight and save up over a few lean years for a house they'd have no problems paying off. People who wanted the instant gratification of instant credit.

Yes, many of them should never have been given a mortgage in the first place. But remember: personal responsibility begins at home. Nobody held a gun to these people's heads and forced them to take out a mortgage.

There are millions of people all over the western world in the same position. The largest majority were given incorrect investment advice by the very institutions who should have known better.
Yes, the largest majority were given incorrect advice by the very institutions that should have known better. But this does not absolve them of their own responsibility.

Just look at how small their margins were, for a start. Many of these people (if not most) were already overcommitted - particularly in the USA, where debt was piled onto credit piled onto debt balanced on a slender equity tightrope. We're talking about people with <10% deposit mortgages who could afford repayments at the honeymoon rate but didn't think ahead to the future. They were simply winging it.

In any case, the current plunge is mostly affecting houses priced at the top end of the scale. We're not talking about people who bought a modest house in a plain Jane suburb at ~$280k and then found that they couldn't meet the repayments.

For example, look at the guy in this news article; his investment property is in Darling Point (median price: $950k). He bought a house that he couldn't afford, and hoped that people who could afford it would rent from him. And they did... for a while. But now he's shafted.

Lesson learned, I guess!
Old May 4th 2009, 8:59 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

But the failures identified that have caused this recession are repetitions of history. Sure a level of personal responsibility is needed however mortgage saleman are incentivised on the size of mortgage they sell and not the appropriateness and risk of the deal.

People are highly financially illiterate but the responsilility you talk of requires knowledge of complex products, legal small print and an economics crystal ball. Add in a greedy pushy salemen and it is not hard to see that there is mis-selling.

There is now a universal view that stronger regulation is needed and finally the federal government has brought consumer credit under its wing as the states were inept.

Yes, many of them should never have been given a mortgage in the first place. But remember: personal responsibility begins at home. Nobody held a gun to these people's heads and forced them to take out a mortgage.
Old May 4th 2009, 9:02 pm

The Gold Coast also seems to attract undesirable con-men time and time again. Google property scam and gold coast and you will see what I mean. Raptis is a recent case.

Originally Posted by brendarover
Old May 4th 2009, 9:24 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
People are highly financially illiterate but the responsilility you talk of requires knowledge of complex products, legal small print and an economics crystal ball. Add in a greedy pushy salemen and it is not hard to see that there is mis-selling.

There is now a universal view that stronger regulation is needed and finally the federal government has brought consumer credit under its wing as the states were inept.

Spot on

Whilst people need to understand what they are signing, they do afterall rely heavily on financial advisors to help them out. Instead people have been fleeced and sometimes misled into buying property at over inflated prices. At one time banks wanted to make sure they got their money back so wouldn't lend more than the borrower could afford, also they [the bank] made sure the house was worth the price paid. Instead banks & real estate agents got greedy and stopped caring thereby leaving borrowers in a vulnerable position buying houses they thought were worth far more than they actually were.

No one regulated the real estate agents or the banks, in fact they scammed the situation between them and left some people high and dry
Old May 4th 2009, 10:12 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Perth House Prices Plummet

Originally Posted by IvanM
But the failures identified that have caused this recession are repetitions of history. Sure a level of personal responsibility is needed however mortgage saleman are incentivised on the size of mortgage they sell and not the appropriateness and risk of the deal.
Agreed.

No, it doesn't require knowledge of complex products, legal small print and an economics crystal ball. It requires a basic understanding of how to manage a household budget, and that's all. I managed to do it, but only by changing my spendthrift ways and lowering my expectations to a property that I could comfortably afford. And hell, if I can do it then any idiot can.

Look, if you only put down a 5% deposit and your weekly/fortnightly/monthly repayments will be stretching your finances to the limit, it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that you will be in trouble when your interest rate reaches the end of the honeymoon period and your repayments increase.

Don't buy something you can't afford. Don't sign a contract you don't understand. Don't take advice from only one source. The average bloke correctly applies these principles to buying a car. They should be in the forefront of his mind when considering a property. It's not rocket science.

People have been buying houses on a wing and a prayer despite large amounts of personal debt. Look at some of the people in the Debtland documentary; they bought houses they could barely afford, then racked up credit cards and other personal debts along the way.

Like these people:

As many as 300,000 Australian households may be at risk of losing their homes. It mightn’t take much – another rate rise or two, a family illness or maybe just the car breaking down – to send people under. And for thousands more who are better off but feeling the pressure, this credit crisis is getting too close to home.

Dianne and her family are frontline casualties. Their home is being repossessed after constant refinancing landed them with two mortgages, one at 10 per cent and another – on terms they didn’t understand - at 20 per cent.

Four Corners meets them as they despairingly pack their belongings and give up the keys. Why did they take out loan after loan? "Because they keep giving them to us," is Dianne’s blunt reply.
You can't tell me that those 300,000 households didn't know what they were getting into. Perhaps they didn't always understand the full extent of their debt; perhaps some of them were in denial; perhaps some of them didn't care. But from what I saw, too many of them were people who wanted a brand new made-to-order McMansion without the long years of hard slog and careful saving that their parents went through.

It's fashionable to knock the baby boomers these days, but I can only respect them for earning their wealth the hard way.

Yes, I agree. Fortunately the Australian government was already far more responsible than most of its foreign peers (and far less intertwined with their markets) which is why we haven't been hit as badly as places like the US and UK.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 4th 2009 at 10:22 pm.
Old May 4th 2009, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed.

No, it doesn't require knowledge of complex products, legal small print and an economics crystal ball. It requires a basic understanding of how to manage a household budget, and that's all. I managed to do it, but only by changing my spendthrift ways and lowering my expectations to a property that I could comfortably afford. And hell, if I can do it then any idiot can.

Look, if you only put down a 5% deposit and your weekly/fortnightly/monthly repayments will be stretching your finances to the limit, it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that you will be in trouble when your interest rate reaches the end of the honeymoon period and your repayments increase.

Don't buy something you can't afford. Don't sign a contract you don't understand. Don't take advice from only one source. The average bloke correctly applies these principles to buying a car. They should be in the forefront of his mind when considering a property. It's not rocket science.

People have been buying houses on a wing and a prayer despite large amounts of personal debt. Look at some of the people in the Debtland documentary; they bought houses they could barely afford, then racked up credit cards and other personal debts along the way.

Like these people:

As many as 300,000 Australian households may be at risk of losing their homes. It mightn’t take much – another rate rise or two, a family illness or maybe just the car breaking down – to send people under. And for thousands more who are better off but feeling the pressure, this credit crisis is getting too close to home.

Dianne and her family are frontline casualties. Their home is being repossessed after constant refinancing landed them with two mortgages, one at 10 per cent and another – on terms they didn’t understand - at 20 per cent.

Four Corners meets them as they despairingly pack their belongings and give up the keys. Why did they take out loan after loan? "Because they keep giving them to us," is Dianne’s blunt reply.
You can't tell me that those 300,000 households didn't know what they were getting into. Perhaps they didn't always understand the full extent of their debt; perhaps some of them were in denial; perhaps some of them didn't care. But from what I saw, too many of them were people who wanted a brand new made-to-order McMansion without the long years of hard slog and careful saving that their parents went through.

It's fashionable to knock the baby boomers these days, but I can only respect them for earning their wealth the hard way.

Yes, I agree. Fortunately the Australian government was already far more responsible than most of its foreign peers (and far less intertwined with their markets) which is why we haven't been hit as badly as places like the US and UK.
sounds like its all around the corner for Australia.Keep hearing everyone say "No its different here"
Old May 5th 2009, 2:59 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catch
sounds like its all around the corner for Australia.Keep hearing everyone say "No its different here"

But it is different here.
Old May 5th 2009, 3:38 am

I am not denying the idiocy of plenty of people but also the blind matter in which people take out a mortgage without thinking of the possibility that rates go up and the inability to unlock oneself from a mortgage, especially fixed rate deals. Rather than contacting a responsible advisor they contact mortgage brokers who will always give the answer they want to hear. In the belief the brokers are reputable they believe the salesman because that is what they want to believe. They also believe that housing only goes up which comforts them in their ways.

My point is that regulation is needed to rescue the financially illiterate and ignorant. The regulation is also needed to prevent the financially reckless from putting the economy at risk as had happened.

A case in point is QANTAS. Had the US hedgie got his fax off in time right now QANTAS would have $10billion in loans due to the private equity takeover. Right now QANTAS is capitalised at $5billion and would have been wrecked by the current crisis. A consortium of bankers would have raised a fortune in fees yet the tax payer would have taken on the wreckage. The QANTAS board wanted the takeover because they would have earned a huge sum (Geoff Dixon $50million).

Agreed.

Like these people:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.