Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth House Prices Crash

Perth House Prices Crash

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth House Prices Crash

In the city where house prices will never fall, they have fallen. Big time.

According to Rob Druitt anyone who bought after June 2006 will lose money if they sell now. I assume that this means that prices are back to mid-2006 levels.

Which makes me feel very happy because this was the earliest that I could have possibly bought in Australia.

(It's OK though because we are nearing the bottom in terms of prices according to REIWA - in spite of NAB saying last week that they were less bearish than other commentators and even they thought that the Perth market had another 10% to go down)

No rental relief as Perth crashes
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:10 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Perth House Prices Crash

Can you find a copy of the West Australian Newspaper for 20th Aug 2006 ?

The headline was "WA Housing boom starts to stumble" ...

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

According to Rob Druitt anyone who bought after June 2006 will lose money if they sell now. I assume that this means that prices are back to mid-2006 levels.

Which makes me feel very happy because this was the earliest that I could have possibly bought in Australia.

(It's OK though because we are nearing the bottom in terms of prices according to REIWA - in spite of NAB saying last week that they were less bearish than other commentators and even they thought that the Perth market had another 10% to go down)

Nah, it'll never happen here, there's too much sand for people to bury their heads in.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Can you find a copy of the West Australian Newspaper for 20th Aug 2006 ?

The headline was "WA Housing boom starts to stumble" ...
You're right - just seen it on subscription!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:28 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's different this time, house prices double every 7 years.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by renth
It's different this time, house prices double every 7 years.
Perth Median House prices:

IF the doubling every 7 years was right then the figures should be:

1974 $ 18,850 it was $18,850
1981 $ 37,700 it was $43,825 up 132% in 7 years
1988 $ 75,400 it was $78,000 up 78%
1995 $150,800 it was $126,788 up 63%
2002 $301,600 it was $189,250 up 49%
2009 $603,200

What is the current Perth median price ?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:56 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Perth Median House prices:

IF the doubling every 7 years was right then the figures should be:

1974 $ 18,850 it was $18,850
1981 $ 37,700 it was $43,825 up 132% in 7 years
1988 $ 75,400 it was $78,000 up 78%
1995 $150,800 it was $126,788 up 63%
2002 $301,600 it was $189,250 up 49%
2009 $603,200

What is the current Perth median price ?
I should have put a in my post. I'm just quoting what everyone was telling me a few years back. They thought I was mad, now they all have investment properties they can't sell and leveraged share portfolios that are seriously causing them grief.

They though I was a loony when I told them you had to be mad to invest in property or borrow money to buy shares at the time.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:05 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

... *enters Bunnings ... buys length of rope ... refers to dusty Scout handbook ... ties noose* ...
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by renth
I should have put a in my post. I'm just quoting what everyone was telling me a few years back. They thought I was mad, now they all have investment properties they can't sell and leveraged share portfolios that are seriously causing them grief.

They though I was a loony when I told them you had to be mad to invest in property or borrow money to buy shares at the time.
They should have done some proper homework first.

Looking at those 7 year group %'s dropping like that between 1974 and 2002, should have made some people a little wary.

But people get caught up, and caught out...

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

They should have done some proper homework first.

Looking at those 7 year group %'s dropping like that between 1974 and 2002, should have made some people a little wary.

But people get caught up, and caught out...
why worry if you do not need to sell & can pay the morgage just sit back & wait prices will go back up how soon ???? but up they will go. This is why I am renting mine out in uk because I suspect (guess) uk prices to rise as Perth our still falling. The reason I am hopeing for is that the uk has a mass shortage of houseing & because of this should come out of the slump quicker than oz. Please shoot me down if you do not agree.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eugene43
why worry if you do not need to sell & can pay the morgage just sit back & wait prices will go back up how soon ???? but up they will go. This is why I am renting mine out in uk because I suspect (guess) uk prices to rise as Perth our still falling. The reason I am hopeing for is that the uk has a mass shortage of houseing & because of this should come out of the slump quicker than oz. Please shoot me down if you do not agree.
Well...something about fundamentals and affordability. The fact is you can't sustainable have house prices rising faster than wages. One thing that people seem to miss is that (especially in the UK) the economy has to a degree been funded by the wealth effect driving equity release (which also makes credit card debt seem not so bad). The bottom end of the market has to a degree been held up by cheap debt and 100% + mortgages.

That means that irrespective of when house prices stop falling you will not have a return of the same credit conditions.

In short - don't hold your breath
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

The reason I am hopeing for is that the uk has a mass shortage of houseing & because of this should come out of the slump quicker than oz. Please shoot me down if you do not agree.
BANG BANG !!

Supply & demand are irrelevant. As your first reply said.....no more credit anymore (there's a song in there somewhere)........
After the last UK recession (89-95) houses prices dropped then stagnated for 6 years. And that one was nowhere near as bad as this time coz the banking sector wasnt *****ed !!
Enjoy the wait.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

Mr Druitt (who owns an estate agency of his own) knows that he must get the market moving so that his fat cat members (who pay his salary) can once again sell houses... best way to do that is to put some spin on house prices going down. Reducing vendor expectations ... will reduce prices and get the whole thing going again.
It is amazing how these so called "professional" estate agents know nothing about economics or anything else for that matter... they are the very reason house price inflation reached it's dizzy heights... stoking the price fire.... Clueless B@stards.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
... *enters Bunnings ... buys length of rope ... refers to dusty Scout handbook ... ties noose* ...
Cheaper from Mitre 10. Come on now, don't send them broke!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:41 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are in for a long wait. (Read the house price crash website)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.