Perth Hills

Old May 15th 2004, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

ashey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth Hills

Hi everyone

Am new to this site and was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions about Perth.

We received our passports back from the Aussie high commission yesterday with our visas and I am flying out there in a couple of weeks to have a good look round before we both head out in Oct. After what seems like years looking at houses on the internet I'm wondering if anybody could give me some inside info on what its really like to live in the Perth hills (Roleystone In particular).
Are there social problems ie hoons. Are ther many amenities (shops, restaurants, pubs ect?)

All comment both good and bad much appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 15th 2004, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your visa!

Try checking out this website
http://www.aussiemove.com/sub/area.a...c=7&a=A11&o=M#
it has lots of suburb facts, comparisons etc. and some reviews on suburbs.
Hopefully some of the Perthites will be online tomorrow.
Old May 15th 2004, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Larissa
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your visa!

Try checking out this website
http://www.aussiemove.com/sub/area.a...c=7&a=A11&o=M#
it has lots of suburb facts, comparisons etc. and some reviews on suburbs.
Hopefully some of the Perthites will be online tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply, have been viewing the site for so long now, what I really need is first hand advise from people living in the area who know all the nitty gritty.

Cheers
Old May 16th 2004, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Ashey

We've been in Perth 2 years, got a place near Freo for the first two years and have just moved out to Roleystone. Posted questions before about the Hills, but didn't get much response, as most members of this forum tend to live on the coast, a fair way either north or south of Perth, few in the Hills.

Roley has a good primary school, a secondary school (don't know much about it), a small shopping centre with a Dewsons, two pricy resturaunts in the village, 1 much more reasonable Pom owned place 3km away, numerous tea rooms in the Hills.

It has a lovely theatre with a website I can send you.

It is 6km from Kelmscott, with all the big chains and a 25 minute train link to town. It is 10km from a bigger shopping centre in Armadale, which will apparently get a cinema complex soon.

There are two dams with picnic areas nearby.

You can get a 4x2 house on 3/4 acre for 100K sterling.

Opinion on social problems is divided. I think Roley itself is pretty middle class, Armadale and Kelmscott have bad reputation but to be honest look pretty mild as supposed "hotspots", though I must stress I haven't been here long.

It's 30 km from central Perth and you can use good highway (Tonkin) for most of way.

Libraries at Armadale and Kelmscott, signifcantly less well stocked than richer suburbs and derisory by UK standards.

Good sense of community.

Downsides, slightly hotter in summer, cooler in winter, annual spring Portuguese millipede infestations, fire risks, so choose house accordingly. Downside of being cheap is lower historic capital growth.

So, why did we move? First, you get much more house and yard for your money. Second, the vegetation is gorgeous. Third, the drives around Roley are beautiful. Fourth, I think the Hiils are great value and much neglected by immigrants to Perth. Fifth, this is a bit controversial, but I wonder how much time people who pay a hefty premium to live by the coast actually use the sea, in our experience less than one might think. Finally, and controversially, despite their cleanliness, I think Perth's beaches are overrated for two major reasons. First, unlike the East Coast, for example, you don't get spectacular vegetated cliff falls to the ocean. Second, there's little swell compared to the East, so less you can do in the water.

Hope this somewhat rambling thread helps. Bottom-line, immigrants should pay much more attention to hills, it has the lifestyle features many are seeking, big house, big gardens, affordability, nature, fresh air...

Good luck

David
Old May 16th 2004, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Dear David

Thanks for the reply, very informative.

Like I said, I'm heading out there in four weeks, so will be making a beeline for Roleystone and the surounding areas. I only have six days to look around so I need to be quite selective as to where to visit. Araluen is pretty close by, is it worth a look?

I would be interested to hear more about the milipede infestation, these are exactly the kinds of things that you would,nt normaly hear about. Are they something that damage property? When you say choose house accordingly, could you elaborate?

Totally agree with you about how much people use the beach. I would be quite happy knowing that I am within an hours drive of the sea whilst getting so much more for my money. Then again as I havent yet seen the place I shouldnt be forming too many opinions.

Anyhow, thanks again

Ashey

PS the theatre website would be nice
Old May 16th 2004, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Dear Ashey

No, the millipedes only come briefly once a year, one closes the doors, sprays or simply puts a light outside to deflect them. Not a huge issue if you're prepared.

On choosing house and fire risk, it's just a case of choosing a place with trees well back from the house, firebreaks etc.

Most houses in Roley and Hills in general are on the reiwa website www. reiwa.com.au. Note they are advertised in the Sunday Times not the Saturday West, don't bother with later. Home opens on Sunday too. LJ Hooker sell 80% of Roley houses, for some reason many people prefer to work through others.

Aurelean is a world class botanical garden with some houses around, but I didn't see much on sale on a drive yesterday. Suggest you visit it later when you settle, focus on house now.

Note its a fairly good time to buy, but if you find a place under AUD220,000, wait till after 1 July, when stamp duty is waived up to that limit.

Good luck and please let me know if I can provide further information.

Cheers

David
Old May 16th 2004, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks again

As soon as I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask.

Wish I'd started posting on here earlier.
Old May 16th 2004, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

Hi ashley, I am also considering buying a property in the Perth Hills. I have been looking at Kalamunda or Maida Vale. These would be ideal as they are only 15kms or so from the CBD. I have never been to these suburbs but would be interested to also hear from others who know more about these areas.
Old May 16th 2004, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Vandiemen

We looked at Kala and Maida Vale, though more at the former. They are both nice and near the CBD, 15-20 km for Kala, less for Maida Vale. Both have access to good services. Kala has a big shopping centre, with Coles, Bunnings, many resturaunts, pubs etc. Maida Vales also has nice houses. Both are reasonably affordable, 4x2 for 100K sterling.

So what are the downsides? Maida Vale isn't quite in the hills, more foothills, and I think it can get very hot in summer, rule of thumb, coast coolest, hills next, then inland pain including much of foothills. Other possible downside, depending what you prefer. Kala is quite built up these days, many smaller gardens, less busg feel. For some that's bad, for others good. not many places in Kala have a decent view.

The nicest area near Kala is Gooseberry Hill. Nice houses, bigger gardens, some views. But it is pricier, its probably the top" hills suburb.

On the other side Lesmurdie is very nice and affordable, many decent gardens, few views though.

Further out, country types would like Piesse Brooke, Pickeeing Brook, Bickley etc, they are quite rural, but only 10 minutes further to CBD, but litttle housing on offer here, so it can be a wait.

We preferred Roleystone, because of the views, bush and prices. Also Tonkin Highway gives fast access to CBD. But all are nice and mnay people prefer Kala to Roley. Certainly a better shire.

Good luck!!
Old May 16th 2004, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ashley and Vandiemen

Another thought not specific the the hills. We bought on arrival in Perth to avoid the transactional and financial costs of renting, and then decided to sell and move up to the Hills. I wonder whether we didn't make a mistake? We will probably just cover ourselves financially because we got enough of the growth period to compensate for falling prices now, but its by no means certain and it will be close. The market for places above say 250,000 may continue to soften and rentals are oversupplied and affordable. So, in short, it may be worth renting at first rather than rushing a purchase, if that's what you were planning to do. There's no question the Perth market is fairly soft and may soften further.

Whatever happens, remember that compared to the UK and Perth a year ago, it is a BUYERS market here now.

Good luck

David
Old May 16th 2004, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi David

I must admit I have been feeling under pressure to make a quick purchase. This is because I believed house prices would probably continue to rise in WA this year. We are making the final move in October and it is really disheartening to see how much we can afford out there lessen by the month. I guess the market conditions that we are experiencing here in the UK also add to the sense of panic because there is still no sign of an end to the property boom.

You say in your last post that prices are softening, this is good to hear. However, we are reading reports that I have found on the net that prices will rise approx. 10 per cent in 2004 due to good economic growth in WA. What do you think?

Thanks

Ashey.
Old May 16th 2004, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Dear Ashey

I'm no expert, who is. Other people on the forum know better. However, I would NOT panic about declining affordability in Perth. I honestly think you can ignore the self-promotional material put out by real estate companies. I think the market is softer and its a buyer's market. If you're looking in the Hills and in the broad price range of 100K sterling, a fairly typical Roley price, I doubt the price will change much.

My sense is Australia is engineering a softer property price landing than the UK. Sydney and Melbourne are already correcting, Perth is slowing, this year, so far, is a buyer's market.

As for 5-10 years hence, who knows. I suspect Perth will enjoy fairly steady but not spectacular growth. WA should keep growing steadily, as long as China keeps expanding. WA's resources have a healthy but perhaps not enormous effect on Perth's economy.

I am in the process of selling a place and I can assure you the market is soft at the moment.

If I were in your shoes, I would only buy if there is something you truly love. Then yes, otherwise wait. Another obvious point is that estate agents fees and stamp duty make the transactional costs of buying and selling more expensive, so its probably important to get it right first time if you can.

Finally, nearly everything for sale in Roley is well displayed in reiwa and ljhooker's website, so you should be able to do a lot of research and narrow things down from UK.

Good luck - and please don't hesitate to get back to me...

Cheers

David
Old May 17th 2004, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

Hi David,

Thanks for the first hand advice. Its great to hear other peoples thoughts and views on the area. I have researched in to Gooseberry Hill aswell and it too looks lovely although as you say, slightly pricey!
Haven't really considered Roleystone but will look into it now as it seems quite popular with migrants.

Thanks ever so much for your help, greatly appreciated.

P.S How long have you been in Perth for now?
Old May 17th 2004, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Yes, do have aook at Roleystone, as long as you are not working North of the river.

I've been here just on two years.

Cheers

David

QUOTE]Originally posted by vandiemen
Hi David,

Thanks for the first hand advice. Its great to hear other peoples thoughts and views on the area. I have researched in to Gooseberry Hill aswell and it too looks lovely although as you say, slightly pricey!
Haven't really considered Roleystone but will look into it now as it seems quite popular with migrants.

Thanks ever so much for your help, greatly appreciated.

P.S How long have you been in Perth for now? [/QUOTE]
Old May 17th 2004, 2:10 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Friends of mine moved to Rolystone in September last year, they got out quick when they kept getting visitors in their garden!!

Snakes and spiders gallore:scared: I suppose it's because they were so close to the bush but they couldn't stand it and felt the children weren't safe in the garden..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.