Perth Hills

Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth Hills

We're living near the coast and recently took our first trip up to the Perth Hills/Kalamunda area, which looked wonderful especially the areas near the orchards and vineyards on the outskirts. There are large houses, huge blocks and better prices than more central areas. I just wanted to point this out and ask this forum whether anyone has experience/opinions of the area and its pros and cons.

Many thanks,

David
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth Hills

Originally posted by davidw
We're living near the coast and recently took our first trip up to the Perth Hills/Kalamunda area, which looked wonderful especially the areas near the orchards and vineyards on the outskirts. There are large houses, huge blocks and better prices than more central areas. I just wanted to point this out and ask this forum whether anyone has experience/opinions of the area and its pros and cons.

Many thanks,

David
Hi,

Can't really answer your query but would agree with you. When we visited Perth in April, we stayed in Sorrento and couldn't believe how crammed together all the houses were. We went to look round some houses in the Hills and loved it there. We're still undecided whether it would be a good move to go to Perth job wise but, if we do, will certainly be looking at the Hills. Some people do say that it's very much hotter there because of the lack of sea breeze.....
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point

David ,
Good post.
I am awaiting peoples views as well.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard its warmer too, but it did seem that the higher up, West facing slopes seemed to get a fair breeze. Apparently the very pretty east facing slopes get the warm wind off the desert.

Best wishes

David

Originally posted by Nicstids
Hi,

Can't really answer your query but would agree with you. When we visited Perth in April, we stayed in Sorrento and couldn't believe how crammed together all the houses were. We went to look round some houses in the Hills and loved it there. We're still undecided whether it would be a good move to go to Perth job wise but, if we do, will certainly be looking at the Hills. Some people do say that it's very much hotter there because of the lack of sea breeze.....
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:33 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by davidw

Many thanks,

David
Hi Dave,

There are some people on the forum living in the hills who can give you first hand info. The downsides, IMO, would be the heat in the summer as the hills don't get the benefit of the Fremantle Doctor, and the risk of bush fire. Many places are reasonable commuting distances from the city (i guess 30-45mins), but you do need to know your areas. We saw a lovely place when we first arrived but was advised by the locals that they have a lot of hoons, in that area. Also some places are getting a bit more pricey but hopefully those will hold their price better than those properties that are clearly over priced in the City.

On the positive side there are some fantastic views from the hills across Perth.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point

What are hoon's ?????
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:47 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeterAndSue
What are hoon's ?????
You can get a more precise response but basically they are young people who drive nosiy cars, loud car radios and like to do lots of handbrake turns. Popular pasttime here in OZ.

Nice at 3am.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi David,

We've bought a block in Lesmurdie about 5 mins from Kalamunda.

The place has a real villagey atmosphere with a couple of decent (by aussie standards) pubs and a few restaurants. It's not far from the Albany highway which is where we bought most of our stuff.

The pros are obvious in terms of atmosphere and the schools seem good. Block sizes tend to be half acre plus and prices are fairly reasonable although rising. It's an old suburb and the houses have some character.

The cons are quite a few if you are building.
Because it's in the hills there is a lot of rock which can be expensive to shift. The reason the blocks are bigger is the need for septic and leach drains. There is no city sewerage as far as I'm aware. I believe the minimum block size is half acre because of this and half an acre is a lot to look after. It is possible to get smaller blocks if the title was set some time ago (ours is a quarter). To give you an idea our guess at site costs is about $20K.

On the larger blocks you have to be careful about keeping your boundaries clear of combustible materials. It does get hotter there than nearer the cost but air con takes care of that and reverse deals with the opposite effect in winter.

Having said all that, it doesn't put me off. Costs are swings and roundabouts with the newer suburbs being more expensive for less space.

Anyway all the best with your choice. We could end up neighbours, hope you don't mine me tuning my V8 or practicing thrash metal

Cheers

Nick
Old Dec 25th 2003, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All

Last weekend we drove up into the hills to Darlington, it is absolutely beautiful. It is about 40 mins from where we are are renting near Freemantle.

All the plots seem big and the national park is only 5 mins walk away so I don't think it will become part of the urban sprawl that is Perth.

I'm not sure what the cons are but the pros are lots of space to bring up young Georgia, only 20 mins from Belmont shopping centre and 20 mins to a large industrial area for work.

Oh yes and very close to the airport to pick up family and friends when they drop by.

But I know there must be a downside so I'm going to keep looking till we buy in May.

Keel
Old Dec 25th 2003, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

All my rellies live in the hills, maida vale, kalamunda and the likes, whilst its nice for a visit i personally prefer being close to the ocean, although that also has a downside, the constant wind whilst cooling can be a pain sometimes. I also have a preference for newer houses and less vegetation (i had some bad experirnces with an overgrown home and creeppy crawlies a few years back). I wouldnt be too hasty to make a decision untill i have experienced all seasons here.

Lynn