Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PERTH Help computer crashed- XP needed!

PERTH Help computer crashed- XP needed!

Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

dolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the roughdolly1 is a jewel in the rough
Default PERTH Help computer crashed- XP needed!

Hi can anyone please help.
We have arrived safely in Perth
Set up the computer & its crashed!!!
Does anyone have XP & Office discs that I can borrow?
I would really be a great help.
Thanks Dolly XXX
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all
Default Re: PERTH Help computer crashed- XP needed!

You cannot install XP from a disc that has been used to install it on another PC as when it is installing it automatically registers you with Microsoft to prevent pirating.

Unless you can get a pirated or demonstration copy or find the website that cracks the security..........

I believe Office XP is the same.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:24 am
Just Joined

jrwclark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dolly1
Hi can anyone please help.
We have arrived safely in Perth
Set up the computer & its crashed!!!
Does anyone have XP & Office discs that I can borrow?
I would really be a great help.
Thanks Dolly XXX
Do you get an error message? or is the PC completely dead?
You should be able to press the F8 key during boot up which will allow you to boot into Safe mode. From there you can usually find out what the problems are.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:07 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Dolly where r u in Perth. have all the discs you need, maybe send a PM.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:53 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by eintracht
You cannot install XP from a disc that has been used to install it on another PC as when it is installing it automatically registers you with Microsoft to prevent pirating.

Unless you can get a pirated or demonstration copy or find the website that cracks the security..........

I believe Office XP is the same.
NOt 100% correct !
if you install on a machine that is not on the internet it will allow you to install and then asks you to register, if the machine never goes on the internet it will never register and you can use the CD again.
also what happens if you need to re-install the software after a crash ?? according to your theory you will not be able to do it as its already been done ???
so u must be able to install it on another machine as far as Microsoft is concerned it is the same machine but you have had to re-install the operating system.

surely that is allowed .
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
NOt 100% correct !
if you install on a machine that is not on the internet it will allow you to install and then asks you to register, if the machine never goes on the internet it will never register and you can use the CD again.
also what happens if you need to re-install the software after a crash ?? according to your theory you will not be able to do it as its already been done ???
so u must be able to install it on another machine as far as Microsoft is concerned it is the same machine but you have had to re-install the operating system.

surely that is allowed .
Don't really want to argue about it but I don't think you can install onto two machines from the same disc. I'm making an experienced guess here but I believe when you register with Microsoft it will take certain details from your machine as part of that registration. If your theory is correct you could by a disc and basically pass it round to all your mates.
I'm not convinced that the installation will complete successfully if you do not register on the internet, it may give you a time peiod of grace but eventually you will have to register.

I am not Microsoft certified so if I'm wrong then forgive me but that's how I believe it works.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:23 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by eintracht
Don't really want to argue about it but I don't think you can install onto two machines from the same disc. I'm making an experienced guess here but I believe when you register with Microsoft it will take certain details from your machine as part of that registration. If your theory is correct you could by a disc and basically pass it round to all your mates.
I'm not convinced that the installation will complete successfully if you do not register on the internet, it may give you a time peiod of grace but eventually you will have to register.

I am not Microsoft certified so if I'm wrong then forgive me but that's how I believe it works.
Correct
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Correct
Thank you. Gizza job !!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Correct
so if thats correct what happens if you install and register.
then have a crash and have to reinstall the Operating system again

you have already registered and Microsoft will not let you use the same XP

sorry but i know from experience that you can do this so its not 100% correct.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:58 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

so if thats correct what happens if you install and register.
then have a crash and have to reinstall the Operating system again

you have already registered and Microsoft will not let you use the same XP

sorry but i know from experience that you can do this so its not 100% correct.
As somebody said, when you register with Microsoft, part of what you / your machine gives them is a checksum code tells them certain things about your hardware. If you have a crash and have to reload, you have to speak to Microsoft and confirm various details.
This way, you can re-install XP on the same machine using the same disc but it makes it very difficult to install it on another PC.

Dolly1, you say the computer crashed but can you say exactly what happened - what you were doing at the time, what error messages occur, what happens when you try to start up now?
Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by wmoore
As somebody said, when you register with Microsoft, part of what you / your machine gives them is a checksum code tells them certain things about your hardware. If you have a crash and have to reload, you have to speak to Microsoft and confirm various details.
This way, you can re-install XP on the same machine using the same disc but it makes it very difficult to install it on another PC.

Dolly1, you say the computer crashed but can you say exactly what happened - what you were doing at the time, what error messages occur, what happens when you try to start up now?
im not going to get into a row about this but i know from my personal experiences that i have installed Windows XP on my machine and then had to re-install for several reasons and not once have i had to contact Microsoft.
Each time with no problems i have just re-installed XP and it has worked fine.
so i can't really see why you guy's are having problems.
i can't believe i have a strange version.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:37 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you have an OEM version that doesn't need activating? Did it come with your PC? Companies that have a licencing agreement (such as Select or Upgrade Advantage) get different CDs to those that buy off the shelf in PC World. Off the shelf versions require activation, OEM, Select, etc don't.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

im not going to get into a row about this but i know from my personal experiences that i have installed Windows XP on my machine and then had to re-install for several reasons and not once have i had to contact Microsoft.
Each time with no problems i have just re-installed XP and it has worked fine.
so i can't really see why you guy's are having problems.
I've recently reinstalled XP after my computer got the pox and I had to reregister within 30 days and it worked no probs.

Keel
Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by keel
I've recently reinstalled XP after my computer got the pox and I had to reregister within 30 days and it worked no probs.

Keel
mmmmm interesting. i don't know how much further to go into this without worrying if Microsoft are watching.
so i will leave this thread alone.

Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:55 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I too have installed, re-installed and installed again on not one but three PC's (networked)
I've never had to contact Microsoft.
I also used to work for a company that had XP installed on 9 PC's from the same disk, not to mentioned the boss' home PC and that of his daughter.
The disk was bought legitimately so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a pirated copy or OEM.

Dunno?

Siren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.