Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth in February

Perth in February

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

niall473 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth in February

Hi, looking to move to Perth in February for work in construction industry as a Quantity Surveyor as i hear the construction industry is booming there at the minute. Any one any experience of construction work there at the minute and any advice on job searching before heading out?
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth in February

Originally Posted by niall473
Hi, looking to move to Perth in February for work in construction industry as a Quantity Surveyor as i hear the construction industry is booming there at the minute. Any one any experience of construction work there at the minute and any advice on job searching before heading out?
First question is of course - do you have a work visa lined up ?
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:56 am
Just Joined

No not as yet for two reasons, i haven't booked flights yet and i haven't decided whether it is best to get the WHV or the skilled workers visa as i qualify under this. which do you think would be best?
Old Sep 24th 2010, 8:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niall473
No not as yet for two reasons, i haven't booked flights yet and i haven't decided whether it is best to get the WHV or the skilled workers visa as i qualify under this. which do you think would be best?
Well, they are very different visas for very different purposes. WHV is a temporary visa which allows you to work for an employer for up to 6 months and at the end of the year you go home. Unless you've done 3 months of fruit picking, then you get a second year. It takes about a week to get one of those online. You may have problems getting employment on a WHV since you will need your blue card and possibly a license depending on your trade.

The skilled migrant visa is a perment resident visa where you can move here forever. It leads to citizenship (if you choose) and the benefits of living here such as working for any employer (except the federal government unless you're a citizen) for as long as you like. Or not working at all!!! It takes anywhere from a couple of months to a few years to get one of these. There are skills assessments and other criteria to be met in order to qualify.

www.immi.gov.au
Old Sep 24th 2010, 8:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

First thing first. Use the link in Dorothy's thread and check out all options. Any questions reqarding visas and immigration can be asked in the Immi Forum. Forget flights, they're at the bottom of your list of things to do at the moment.

Not aware of a construction boom going on but happy to be proved wrong. You also need to look into whether you need to get Australian licences for your profession. Know nothing about Quantity Surveyors but most other trades and professions need qualifications converted into Australian equivalent before anyone will employ.

Good luck.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Sep 24th 2010 at 8:30 am.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the lack of reply as i have been away for a few days.
Still looking into moving to Oz in Feb as its either now or never as im still young enough to do it without having any real ties. Many people are emigrating from Ireland to Perth at the minute who are involved in the construction trade with many picking work up quite easily. work here in construction is pretty bad at the minute due to the recession so Oz is very appealing as is the 'quality of life' on offer. Will most likely get the working holiday visa so i can then keep my options open, and as my degree is accredited by a world renowned chartered body i don't need a license to practice.
One question i would have is what is general work and life like on the east coast in comparison to Perth? If Perth is where i do end up going i am aware that it is the most isolated city so to speak.

Thanks again
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

Isolated, in what sense?

Yes it's pretty far from the next city, but it depends what you mean by isolated?

Is it self sufficient with plenty to do? yeah, there's margaret river 3 hours south. There's cheap flights to Bali and Singapore.

Flights to Adelaide, melbourne, Sydney etc start from abut $120 ish one way.

There's loads of building work going on, and with the mining fly in fly out, and paying stupid wages there should be plenty of work.

I can't compare life on the East and West coast as I haven't lived on the East coast, but I love my life in Perth. I'm not sure how old you are or what your interests are but if you're looking at WHV you're under 30, i'd say Melbourne or Sydney might be more your thing from comments others have made on here. The opinion seems to be Perth is a fantastic family place to live, but maybe not as good as the East coast for young single people.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:56 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

DO the WHV.

If you have the skills and work hard you'll get sponsored no problems.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Get on a WHV, ring Hays or Titan agencies and you should find work pretty soon, work for a few companies and if you're good they may sponsor, although it's been harder to get sponsorship since the world economy took a dive. It's not mega boom here as it was 3-4 years ago but things are ticking along and there's quite a few resource jobs coming on line. In what sector are you a bean counter? Mining is the big gravy train here, followed by oil & gas, there's still quite a lot of commercial going on, housing is going ok as well.

It's not as lively as Sydney or Melbourne, but there's plenty to keep a bloke happy, lots of Irish about, plenty of hot girls and you'll earn more money here.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

yep thats what i meantby isolated in that its very from the next city but that doesnt bother me as there are plenty of places about that you can go and visit on weekends and as it would be a new city to me am sure there would be enough to do and see at the weekends, and plenty of bars of course. yes i hear that the mines are full of work and also pay ridiculous wages so that could be an option for a few months then go and do some travelling. I am 23 so i will most likely go for the working holiday visa as it keeps my options open and is cheaper. i currently work within the oil, gas and pharmaceutical sectors working with in the pipework fabrication side of things and looking after cost of the jobs so am sure i could find work within this sector or within the commercial side of things. when heading out i will go with an open mind so as i will be open to taking on any kind of money to earn the $$$$ .
Any thoughts on a stop over on my way ie singapore/thailand just a thought at the minute?