Perth Curry

Old Nov 29th 2013, 7:32 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Curry

I've tried them all and have decided there is no decent curry in Perth. I will stick to thai and vietnamese for my chilli hit these days.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 7:35 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
I've tried them all and have decided there is no decent curry in Perth. I will stick to thai and vietnamese for my chilli hit these days.
Not a bad call Northernbird
Old Nov 29th 2013, 7:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
no shortage of good Thai and Vietnamese restaurants here, and usually far less expensive than Indian
Old Nov 29th 2013, 8:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ballys
The Linked menu I posted was from Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire
No it wasn't. Madhur Jaffrey was a very well regarded 'cook'. Not sure why you think that's funny or even why it's relevant that she was an actress

Disclamer: said 'was', no idea if she's still alive, couldn't be bothered to look.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 1:59 pm
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No it wasn't. Madhur Jaffrey was a very well regarded 'cook'. Not sure why you think that's funny or even why it's relevant that she was an actress

Disclamer: said 'was', no idea if she's still alive, couldn't be bothered to look.
If you can read the whole thread you will see that I apologised for the wrong link then posted another as for Madhur Jaffrey this term seems to fit,Jack of all trades master of none.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
I don't live in Perth but I'm a keen British Indian Restaurant curry home cook; I'm on a couple of curry forums and I hear good reports of British Indian at Kingsley (wherever that is). Run by an expat and they use UK methods, as opposed to Australian.

For example Australian Indian Restaurants use base gravies made on fried caramelised onions, garlic and ginger whilst B.I.R. restaurants use the base gravies made on slow-simmered onions as used in the UK and first introduced by the Bangladeshi curry houses back in the 60s.

This gives a totally different mouthfeel and flavour to the two "traditions".
In many ways Aussie Indian curries are probably closer to what they actually eat in India, but a fair bit different to the British styles that expats are used to from home.
I thought that proper British curry was fried caramelised onions..garlic and ginger...fried slowly...according to a book I have..
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I thought that proper British curry was fried caramelised onions..garlic and ginger...fried slowly...according to a book I have..
I've consulted 2 websites and it seems that indeed one is based on fried caramelised onions - then simmered, and the other is based more on boiling - both claim to be BIR. I think the important bit is that the sugar is released from the onions and that it is the garlic and ginger which is the hallmark - you don't use that much spices after all.

I think I will try the 2nd simmering recipe to compare the two.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've consulted 2 websites and it seems that indeed one is based on fried caramelised onions - then simmered, and the other is based more on boiling - both claim to be BIR. I think the important bit is that the sugar is released from the onions and that it is the garlic and ginger which is the hallmark - you don't use that much spices after all.

I think I will try the 2nd simmering recipe to compare the two.
Really doesn't matter IMHO. www.curry-recipes.co.uk has some good recipes although I take some of the advice with a pinch of salt (see what I did there?)

I make curry better than your average BIR. Why? Because I have the time to labour over it and do it better. Also I source spices from around the world and get it shipped in if I can't buy it in an Indian supermarket.

For extra interest in a pepper based curry like Jalfrezi: BBQ the red peppers first and it adds an interesting and remarkable aroma.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Really doesn't matter IMHO. www.curry-recipes.co.uk has some good recipes although I take some of the advice with a pinch of salt (see what I did there?)

I make curry better than your average BIR. Why? Because I have the time to labour over it and do it better. Also I source spices from around the world and get it shipped in if I can't buy it in an Indian supermarket.

For extra interest in a pepper based curry like Jalfrezi: BBQ the red peppers first and it adds an interesting and remarkable aroma.
I'd be happy to sample your curry sometime.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 7:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I ate at 9 Mary's in the city on the weekend

Very nice but expensive, although the Entertainment Book makes it somewhat cheaper
Old Dec 18th 2013, 11:27 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

I just got the book "The curry secret" and I've made two curries just like the ones from the take away back home, yummo!
Old Dec 18th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

That would be Kris Dillon's book (female) that uses the simmered onion base gravy. I have the book, not bad and a classic.

Curries also lend themselves to the slow cooker, made a pretty good six hour Beef Madras last week using a BIR (British Indian Restaurant) curry base, not unlike Kris's base gravy, extra spices, tomato, ghee, ginger and garlic and a heap of home grown chillies.

And true to BIR style, no coconut at all.

Old Dec 18th 2013, 1:40 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
That would be Kris Dillon's book (female) that uses the simmered onion base gravy. I have the book, not bad and a classic.

Curries also lend themselves to the slow cooker, made a pretty good six hour Beef Madras last week using a BIR (British Indian Restaurant) curry base, not unlike Kris's base gravy, extra spices, tomato, ghee, ginger and garlic and a heap of home grown chillies.

And true to BIR style, no coconut at all.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/v...pse69944f2.jpg
It is indeed, I had the book some yrs back but the evil ex kept it
I've only made two different madras so far chicken, that's my fav but as the rents are here I was instructed to make a beef one as I was informed " I'll grow feathers if I eat anymore chicken!" ungrateful gits
Old Dec 18th 2013, 3:58 pm
My hovercraft is full of

Originally Posted by Kelli28
It is indeed, I had the book some yrs back but the evil ex kept it
I've only made two different madras so far chicken, that's my fav but as the rents are here I was instructed to make a beef one as I was informed " I'll grow feathers if I eat anymore chicken!" ungrateful gits
Kelli use this.

http://www.morpeth17.freeserve.co.uk...rry_Secret.pdf
Old Dec 18th 2013, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone else use the old squeeze of lime, teaspoon of sugar at the end, trick?

I've also noticed a huge difference between where and what spices are sourced. I never would buy spices from a supermarket in the UK (can't speak for elsewhere). Why? Because it's purchased in large batches and usually is old and stale.

Two other factors that I find make a lot of difference, big deep red Kashmiri chillies, and Indian butter Ghee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.