Perth Curry

Old Nov 26th 2013, 9:03 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold
Default Perth Curry

I know the last thread on this matter was correctly closed by Polly due to an abusive vested interest poster.

I have to say that in the 25 years I have lived in Perth the curries I've had have been very poor. I gave up a few years ago mainly eating out in the excellent Vietnamese restaurants in Northbridge/Girrawheen/Malaga area. This lunch time my wife and I decided to visit the Vietnamese along Alexander Drive just north of the Caltex servo. It was closed so we therefore decided to go next door to the Curry Affair. Whilst the decor is basic (plastic table cloths), the food was excellent and inexpensive especially by Perth standards. Wish I had gone there years ago.
BTW I have no vested interest in this restaurant.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Curry

Spices on the Ocean at Shocko is excellent too... I had given up finding a decent curry here till I went there....
Old Nov 26th 2013, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

I don't live in Perth but I'm a keen British Indian Restaurant curry home cook; I'm on a couple of curry forums and I hear good reports of British Indian at Kingsley (wherever that is). Run by an expat and they use UK methods, as opposed to Australian.

For example Australian Indian Restaurants use base gravies made on fried caramelised onions, garlic and ginger whilst B.I.R. restaurants use the base gravies made on slow-simmered onions as used in the UK and first introduced by the Bangladeshi curry houses back in the 60s.

This gives a totally different mouthfeel and flavour to the two "traditions".
In many ways Aussie Indian curries are probably closer to what they actually eat in India, but a fair bit different to the British styles that expats are used to from home.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 2:02 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Spices on the Ocean at Shocko is excellent too... I had given up finding a decent curry here till I went there....
Certainly is! If you fancy a trip to the country, the relatively new Yogi in Mandurah us great too.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 9:40 pm
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
I don't live in Perth but I'm a keen British Indian Restaurant curry home cook; I'm on a couple of curry forums and I hear good reports of British Indian at Kingsley (wherever that is). Run by an expat and they use UK methods, as opposed to Australian.

For example Australian Indian Restaurants use base gravies made on fried caramelised onions, garlic and ginger whilst B.I.R. restaurants use the base gravies made on slow-simmered onions as used in the UK and first introduced by the Bangladeshi curry houses back in the 60s.

This gives a totally different mouthfeel and flavour to the two "traditions".
In many ways Aussie Indian curries are probably closer to what they actually eat in India, but a fair bit different to the British styles that expats are used to from home.

$15 for Tarka Dal.....chips on the menu they are having a laugh
Strange how you use the same B.I.R abb. as the menu

Curry and Chips anyone remember this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_and_Chips

Last edited by Ballys; Nov 26th 2013 at 9:50 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

The BIR (British Indian Restaurant) acronym is commonly used on curry forums for brevity, just like we use terms such as AG (All grain) on my brewing forums. No affiliation with the guy, never been to Perth.

If you are looking for something reminiscent of what you ate in curry houses back in the UK (I'd guess not, from the chips comment) then I'd give a BIR restaurant a go, otherwise if you prefer something more like they actually eat on the Subcontinent then the place with the plastic tablecloths sounds more your style.

When I lived in Brisbane my favourite South Indian place didn't serve any BIR / Aussie stuff at all (Butter Chicken, Lamb Madras, usual suspects) and didn't even have tablecloths.. Indian Cuisine is vast and varied.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:18 am
My hovercraft is full of

If you are looking for something reminiscent of what you ate in curry houses back in the UK (I'd guess not, from the chips comment) then I'd give a BIR restaurant a go, otherwise if you prefer something more like they actually eat on the Subcontinent then the place with the plastic tablecloths sounds more your style.

See the menu at my old local curry house NO CHIPS,says it all about your style.

http://www.starofindiarestaurant.com.au/star-of-india

Last edited by Alfresco; Nov 27th 2013 at 6:03 pm. Reason: Fix quote.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:42 am
My hovercraft is full of

From the closed old thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...n+perth&page=6

Likewise, most Indian restaurants here are owned by Indians. in UK 90 % of "Indian" restaurants are run by Pakistani or Bangladeshi owners. Traditional Indian food is based on fried tomato and onion pastes or "gravies" whereas Bangladeshi/Pakistani food (adapted for the UK market) are based on a different gravy where onions, peppers, carrots, garlic, ginger etc is boiled and liquidised to make a base gravy. This is the style of cooking used at the Kingsley shop, I know because I've seen it done, I know one of the owners.

This is the style of food that we are used to in UK. It is not authentic Indian, but we Brits like it, and to the best of my knowledge, they are the only restaurant doing this style of cooking in Perth. Try it, if you like UK food, I'm sure you'll be impressed. Obviously not everyone will like it (northernbird), but as I said, I know at least 30 people that have tried it, and they ALL loved it.

Same spruiker Micky-T =Mike at Taree?
Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

No, they won't have chips because they are an Australian style Indian Restaurant as opposed to a British Indian style. AIR (another acronym) restaurants are mostly owned and run by Indians, for example our local place in Taree is Sikh.

BIR restaurants that appeared in the UK in the 60s were opened by Bangladeshis - mostly from the city of Sylhet, and they introduced a particular style of curry, including "curry and chips" as an alternative for the mostly working class customers who were suspicious of rice.
Going back to your original post that you haven't been able to find a decent curry in Perth, then if by that you meant you didn't find something that you were used to in the UK, then yes.. you wouldn't cos the Bangladeshi "Indian" style found all over the UK didn't exist until recently in Perth.

If however you mean you haven't found a decent curry in the AIR restaurants then yes... you probably wouldn't either
Personally I find AIR curries dumbed down versions of Indian classics such as Madras or Korma.

Personally I cook my own. Madhur Jaffrey's 100 essential curries is a good starter and quite authentic.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Trivia: just spotted in the menu from you old place in Sydney "Vindaloo, traditional Goanese cooked with vinegar, hot spices and potatoes" marks it as definitely North Indian owned.

Potato in Hindi is "aloo" but the "aloo" in vindaloo comes from the Portuguese "Vinho d'ahlo" meaning cooked in vinegar and garlic. Common misconception with North Indians.

If you liked the Star of India then AIR is definitely to your taste, so I'd just keep trying around Perth and I expect you'll eventually hit on a good one.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 1:02 am
My hovercraft is full of

The Linked menu I posted was from Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire
Old Nov 27th 2013, 1:11 am
My hovercraft is full of

No, they won't have chips because they are an Australian style Indian Restaurant as opposed to a British Indian style. AIR (another acronym) restaurants are mostly owned and run by Indians, for example our local place in Taree is Sikh.

BIR restaurants that appeared in the UK in the 60s were opened by Bangladeshis - mostly from the city of Sylhet, and they introduced a particular style of curry, including "curry and chips" as an alternative for the mostly working class customers who were suspicious of rice.
Going back to your original post that you haven't been able to find a decent curry in Perth, then if by that you meant you didn't find something that you were used to in the UK, then yes.. you wouldn't cos the Bangladeshi "Indian" style found all over the UK didn't exist until recently in Perth.

If however you mean you haven't found a decent curry in the AIR restaurants then yes... you probably wouldn't either
Personally I find AIR curries dumbed down versions of Indian classics such as Madras or Korma.

Personally I cook my own. Madhur Jaffrey's 100 essential curries is a good starter and quite authentic.
Madhur Jaffrey is an "actress who could cook"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madhur_Jaffrey
Old Nov 27th 2013, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ballys
The Linked menu I posted was from Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire
The linked menu on your post goes to Star of India, Glenbrook NSW
Old Nov 27th 2013, 2:14 am
My hovercraft is full of

The linked menu on your post goes to Star of India, Glenbrook NSW
Sorry,could not find the menu for The Star Sawbo so try this one in Old Harlow Essex only 2 miles away

http://bengalcottage-oldharlow.co.uk...rant-menu.html

Last edited by Ballys; Nov 27th 2013 at 2:33 am.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 2:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

This topic comes up on here often

British curry has been developed, mainly by Bangladeshi people, to suit UK tastes and has become so successful that it is now one of the main types of restaurant and takeaway food in that country

Curry in Australia is different - they are not trying to cater for British people (although there are a few places that do). You will find that it will be different again in other countries - my cousin from SFO visited us in the UK when we lived there. He said that he ate a lot of curry at home but really loved the curry in the UK, said the taste was totally different. So, as usual, it's not just a UK/Australia thing (although most Poms on BE cannot see a world outside of these 2 countries)

I'm sure that Indian food in India will also be very different

Places that I have enjoyed in Perth are:
2 Fat Indians in Mt Lawley
9 Marys in the CBD (expensive but they are in the entertainment book)
A place in North Perth that I can't remember the name of
My house

The best Indian food I have ever had was on Langkawi Island, Malaysia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.