Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Cost of Living

Perth Cost of Living

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Perth Cost of Living

Originally Posted by martinw01908
These are very interesting figures Vash. So the wages are pretty much the same, but cost of living is the same.
Not quite the same. More expensive in some ways; cheaper in others.

maybe a little more in Perth. Perth is supposed to be one of the cheapest cities in Oz in which to live. So by that reckoning, if you lived in Melbourne, you would be worse off than the uk?
Quite possibly, yes.

But aren't houses cheaper?
Depends where you go. I'd say that in general, they are cheaper; certainly in smaller capital cities like Adelaide. But they are sky-high in Perth and Sydney.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perth Cost of Living

Hmmm, I wish I still had the paper but if I recall correctly, according to an article in last weekend's West Australian, Perth is the 4th most expensive city in which to live in... in the world. Only New York, Tokyo and Zurich came out more expensive.

We've been here 3 months and whilst we're earning good wages (for Oz), the cost of living is much more expensive than the UK in my opinion. However I wouldn't change it for the world! We're lovin' it!!

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
so you spend your time rigging up some UK 1999 data and comparing it to 2006 aussie data, jeez vash how helpful is that.
A bit harsh. Seems an honest mistake to me. Easily done.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but you can't ignore house costs as that is what takes the biggest chunk of your salary. Unless of course you are managing to stay rent and mortgage free in Perth.

Originally Posted by jamesegrant
Hi

Ignoring house costs how does Perth now currently feel to recent movers compared to UK costs?

Doign all the sums now on a 457 offer in Jan.

Thanks for any help

James