Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth, A City in Strife?

Wikiposts

Perth, A City in Strife?

Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth, A City in Strife?

Happens all over Melbourne clubs and pubs stay open all hours.

Our police are not pussys they are not allowed to hurt the public they get sued or denounced in the paper and lose their jobs. What is the world coming to.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Dowd
Is Perth becoming more like the UK? The following link shows a Friday night in Northbridge Perth:

http://www.westtv.com.au/?Channel=To...0&Format=flash

Is it so bad or just media hype?
I would add that it is also interesting that this police sanctioned 'expose' came as they (police) are seeking greater powers of arrest after a recent highly exposed incident in the northern suburbs.
Coincidence i expect......
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
Happens all over Melbourne clubs and pubs stay open all hours.

Our police are not pussys they are not allowed to hurt the public they get sued or denounced in the paper and lose their jobs. What is the world coming to.
Not unusual in Perth either has been going on for years.Certainly no pussys in the WA police force either...just wait until the cameras have moved on.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:41 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Perth, A City in Strife?

I think troubadour's comment on the timing is insightful.

Originally Posted by Petals
I know - why aren't the cops allowed to hurt people? It's outrageous.
Originally Posted by Hutch
1) That's Today Tonight, which has all the journalistic credentials of Whizzer and Chips
Arf!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:44 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Coming from an area in the Uk namely Nottingham, the police routinely patrol with guns in certain areas. I am used to seeing trouble and whats being reported by the media about Perth is nothing more than you would see on any High Street in the UK at closing time
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by london52
Well after living in Northbridge for 3 years I can honestly say it is worse for anti-social behaviour, graffiti and crime than where I lived in North Lundon.
Weekends are a riot with the hoons pissed up kids and fights, but being as it is the only place in perth that is not brain-dead…I stay.
Know what you mean.Lived in Northbridge two years on coming to Perth......now in Leederville..not far away..at least a little happening in the evening ...but still limited...no way could i do the burbs..refer to take my chances with the yobs..
Old Mar 30th 2009, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lastere
wow, didn't know police officers are such pussies. that's a problem. these guys should go on a 2 week training with las vegas pd. or oakland. and what's up with that whining nasal accent?
Wonder why you think a 2 week training course could be of benefit to the WA police force, surely it couldnt be to replace the whining nasal accent as you put it with semi literate Californian drawl ,while chewing multiples of gum at the same time and learning to swagger like Davy Crocket....although thinking of it i can imagine some of our boys in blue thinking it not half a bad idea.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

1) That's Today Tonight, which has all the journalistic credentials of Whizzer and Chips
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Disappointing to see Oz going this way.Was'nt like that when I lived there a few years ago!I catch up with the news in Oz through websites and family/friends and I'm shocked at some of the news I hear and saddened!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Disappointing to see Oz going this way.Was'nt like that when I lived there a few years ago!I catch up with the news in Oz through websites and family/friends and I'm shocked at some of the news I hear and saddened!
As with most journalism nowadays I would take most things you read with a pinch of salt...

I lived in Manchester all my life and moved to Perth just over 12 months ago and I cant believe how easy it is to live here. Okay of course we have seen trouble while out but show me anywhere in the world where there isnt trouble at kicking out time where there as many bars as there are in Northbridge.

Perth is a walk in the park compared to the UK, anyone who says otherwise has just forgotten what the UK was really like
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

wor-jacky is an unknown quantity at this point

Never been to Perth. But a couple of observations:
2) Go to any city or large town and you'll see exactly the same things - not just in Oz either - any 'western' style country.
3) Booze turns people into wankers.
4) One of those coppers sounded like he was from Leeds.
In agree. A lot of the coppers here now are from the UK. Can't find any Aussies to do the job (too much like hard work!) lol.
It's become popular nowadays in Perth to look for trouble - compared to other cities Perth is a pussycat.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:37 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mark Dowd
Is Perth becoming more like the UK? The following link shows a Friday night in Northbridge Perth:

http://www.westtv.com.au/?Channel=To...0&Format=flash

Is it so bad or just media hype?
Perth has more british immigrants then any other city in OZ l beleive so its not suprising its becoming more like the UK.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:38 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wor-jacky
In agree. A lot of the coppers here now are from the UK. Can't find any Aussies to do the job (too much like hard work!) lol.
It's become popular nowadays in Perth to look for trouble - compared to other cities Perth is a pussycat.
Hard, unpleasant work for low pay, bit like joining the army not many people want to do it.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
As with most journalism nowadays I would take most things you read with a pinch of salt...

I lived in Manchester all my life and moved to Perth just over 12 months ago and I cant believe how easy it is to live here. Okay of course we have seen trouble while out but show me anywhere in the world where there isnt trouble at kicking out time where there as many bars as there are in Northbridge.

Perth is a walk in the park compared to the UK, anyone who says otherwise has just forgotten what the UK was really like
So when you read things about the UK,do you take it with a pinch of salt as well?As I had lived in Oz for a long long time its easy for me to see the differences from now to what it used to be like.As you have been in Perth for 12 months I guess you don't have that option!I can honestly say Oz has changed alot,so has the UK.You can't escape yob culture anymore wherever you go and I find that quite sad!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by livinginreality
I can honestly say Oz has changed alot,so has the UK.You can't escape yob culture anymore wherever you go and I find that quite sad!
I cant argue with that at all what I did say is that to compare Perth to the UK is way, way, way off the mark. Its not even anywhere near the same league from what I have seen.

And yes I do take things I read about the UK with a very large pinch of salt as I do when I listen to or hear the news out here. I got tired of the UK's sensationalist journalism about 5 years ago, its just a shame it seems to have followed me to Perth with the local news stories out here with their big bold attention seeking headlines...

A bit like this thread really

Last edited by ianhutch1; Mar 30th 2009 at 7:48 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.