Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Brisbane for IT guy

Perth or Brisbane for IT guy

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Perth or Brisbane for IT guy

I was planning to apply for my 176 state sponsorship but got confused which state to choose depending on the present scenario and the two year commitment.

Basically I am .NET guy and would love to find work like web development, win app development, UI design work, etc..

So I wanted to check out which state will have a higher probability of such companies/work.. Can similar folks who work in IT companies of either Perth or Brisbane shed some light on this perspective.

Thanks
MP
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Perth or Brisbane for IT guy

Hi,

Im not in Oz yet, but I feel Melbourne and Sydney has most of the IT jobs. why dont you try for either of these cities..

Ronan
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Yes that's true that Melb and Syd have most IT jobs. But they don't sponspor my skill and are very much crowded and expensive..

So I wanted to check between Perth and Brisbane. I heard IT flourished in Perth last year.. wanted to know if still that is the case..

Anybody working in these cities can provide some inputs?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:46 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
I was planning to apply for my 176 state sponsorship but got confused which state to choose depending on the present scenario and the two year commitment.

Basically I am .NET guy and would love to find work like web development, win app development, UI design work, etc..

So I wanted to check out which state will have a higher probability of such companies/work.. Can similar folks who work in IT companies of either Perth or Brisbane shed some light on this perspective.

Thanks
MP
Not Perth right now, the IT market is full of people who have been laid off from the mines and other local businesses that depended on mining.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Red face Re: Perth or Brisbane for IT guy

Could not understand that what's the role of a mining person in IT industry. Do you mean to say mining technologists are applying for office jobs in IT programming?

What is the situation in Brisbane, is it better than Perth?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:01 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

For development a lot of firms run their own development teams to install new software and adapt it to their needs.

Or build it from scratch
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:56 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Could not understand that what's the role of a mining person in IT industry. Do you mean to say mining technologists are applying for office jobs in IT programming?
Maybe he was referring to all of the IT qualified people who went to work in mining jobs (non IT) as the money was so good there by comparison, and now they are back looking for IT work again ?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:04 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Maybe he was referring to all of the IT qualified people who went to work in mining jobs (non IT) as the money was so good there by comparison, and now they are back looking for IT work again ?
Yes, a lot of people who were earning big money in the mines are qualified to do other things, plus I personally know 4 operational IT guys from a big miner who were working in IT who have lost their jobs.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:37 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
MP
Brisbane . Perth is going through a mining slump at the moment. Brisbane has a larger more diverse employer base. Sydney and Melbourne more so.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:12 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane is pretty tough too. Mostly gov work in Queensland, and they all cutting costs , so they have kicked out all contractors and not hiring anyone.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

cbms is an unknown quantity at this point

What sort of work did the IT guys do when they worked on the mines then? I am just curious as I am in IT and if the money was good I would work in the mining industry as well.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:54 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbms
What sort of work did the IT guys do when they worked on the mines then? I am just curious as I am in IT and if the money was good I would work in the mining industry as well.
methinks you missed the boat on that one ;-)
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

cbms is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL I know the story of my life, I was just wondering you know how it is Us IT guys have soft hands so I was wondering what sort of work they would do.

Are you In Perth DownUnderPaddy? if so I have been reading on here how boring it is, and I was wondering what you thought of the place?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:06 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

Originally Posted by cbms
LOL I know the story of my life, I was just wondering you know how it is Us IT guys have soft hands so I was wondering what sort of work they would do.

Are you In Perth DownUnderPaddy? if so I have been reading on here how boring it is, and I was wondering what you thought of the place?
Melby mate :-) Perth is a little isolated for my tastes...
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by datamile
Brisbane is pretty tough too. Mostly gov work in Queensland, and they all cutting costs , so they have kicked out all contractors and not hiring anyone.
Any improvement in Brisbane IT industry over the past 3 months? Due to personal safety reasons, I'm planning to stay away from Melby. Sydney is too expensive for me. So gotta know, if someones is hiring in .NET in Brissy.. how's the coming year looking like?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.