Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Brisbane...which is best?

Perth or Brisbane...which is best?

Old Nov 16th 2008, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

middi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nice
Default Perth or Brisbane...which is best?

As we sit here pondering where to aim for...once the visa's sorted...we were just wondering if anyone has any comments on the highs and lows of Perth and Brisbane?
Old Nov 16th 2008, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

gagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nicegagno9 is just really nice
Default Re: Perth or Brisbane...which is best?

Hi there

This is just my opinion so take from it what you will

Perth: Nice clean city with good schools and colleges. For me though it was lacking a little something, hard to explain but its a little bland if that makes any sense. It does have more sunshine than any other city in oz but being a 3-4hours flight from you next city I feel it lacks things to do in the surrounding areas should you wish to do things on the weekends.

Brisbane however to me has so much more to offer. Set in the middle of the east coast with some of the most beautiful surrounding towns and beaches (Noosa, mooloolaba etc). Its a more built up city and thus has a lot to offer. The public transport is also very good on the east coast especially the trains which can take you all around the city of surrounding areas for very cheap.

However I never spent more than 2months in each of these places so maybe I was just walking around with my eyes shut but from what I did see despite not being able to sell it very well, I think brisbane has more to offer
Old Nov 17th 2008, 5:59 am
Just Joined

emma270 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by middi
As we sit here pondering where to aim for...once the visa's sorted...we were just wondering if anyone has any comments on the highs and lows of Perth and Brisbane?
I live in Perth and have done for 4 years! I hate it and am looking at going over to Queensland, although i have never visited. Perth is too slow and not much to do here. I dont find the people that great here too, its a bit clicky! I used to live in Darwin and loved it up there such a laid back lifestyle but not a great place to bring up kids so i think the next best thing is queensland. You have lots more things to do over there then here. Also Perth is the remotest city in the world, and you will notice it. We are looking at Maroochydore area. I cant wait to move over East.

Good luck x
Old Nov 17th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane because is over on the east coast and not so isolated, if you do not like Perth its a long way to go to get anywhere else.

I like to visit Brisbane but I live and love Melbourne so would never move from Victoria. Much more to do here than Brisbane or Perth.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
Brisbane because is over on the east coast and not so isolated, if you do not like Perth its a long way to go to get anywhere else.

I like to visit Brisbane but I live and love Melbourne so would never move from Victoria. Much more to do here than Brisbane or Perth.
Definitely is a long way to go to get away lol
Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

middi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nice

Hi there,

I really like the look of brisbane myself, but I know someone who went to Melbourne and loves it there too. We really love live music (mostly Rock) and were hoping to be based somewhere with this type of thing on the doorstep. Any ideas?

Thanks,
middi
Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

De Mange will become famous soon enoughDe Mange will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

I really like the look of brisbane myself, but I know someone who went to Melbourne and loves it there too. We really love live music (mostly Rock) and were hoping to be based somewhere with this type of thing on the doorstep. Any ideas?

Thanks,
middi
Melbourne has a crackin music scene...probably better than Sydneys. Only just, though.

Never lived in Brisbane so cant comment.

To OP - agree with the sentiments re Perth. Spent a few months on a job there and couldnt wait to get out of the place. Yes, it appears to have nice amenities, but the place just has no soul whatsoever.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,

Thanks,
middi
I would look at Melbourne then as my sister lives there and loves rock music live and she says the music scene there is brilliant. SHe has also lived in perth all her life.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:46 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane is is a great place. I dont understand why people would choose to live in a place as remote as Perth, but that's up to them.

I also don't understand why Poms choose Melbourne. If you want poor weather, old buildings, ancient trams and lots of multicultural restaurants etc then stay in Europe.

Brisbane is only 1 hour flight to Sydney or 2 hours to Melbourne if you want to go to either of those.

More importantly Brisbane is 1 hour drive to the Gold Coast or Noosa, 1 hour (ish) flight to the Whitsunday Islands (near Mackay), slightly further to Cairns and Port Douglas.

Brisbane also has a thriving music scene in Fortitude Valley, a great modern art gallery (GoMA), lots of good restaurants (Isis, Montrachet, Urbane, Two, Il Centro, and soon a Matt Moran restaurant), good theatre at QPAC, a fantastic stadium at Suncorp and a great inner city beach at South Bank.

On the doorstep is Lamington National Park, or the Galsshouse Mountains, or Bribie Island, Moreton Island, Stradbroke Island, a bit furher to the world's largets sand island at Fraser Island.

Weather is sub tropical so in winter you will get 2 weeks with daytime temps aroudn 14c but otherwise rest of winter is 20c and blue cloudless skies. Summer typically 28-35C, use your pool 5 months a year (without solar heating).

Oh and the people are friendly, pleasant even. Strangers will talk to you. There isnt much obviously visible crime. The streets are clean.

Should I go on?
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jayr
Brisbane is is a great place. I dont understand why people would choose to live in a place as remote as Perth, but that's up to them.

I also don't understand why Poms choose Melbourne. If you want poor weather, old buildings, ancient trams and lots of multicultural restaurants etc then stay in Europe.

Brisbane is only 1 hour flight to Sydney or 2 hours to Melbourne if you want to go to either of those.

More importantly Brisbane is 1 hour drive to the Gold Coast or Noosa, 1 hour (ish) flight to the Whitsunday Islands (near Mackay), slightly further to Cairns and Port Douglas.

Brisbane also has a thriving music scene in Fortitude Valley, a great modern art gallery (GoMA), lots of good restaurants (Isis, Montrachet, Urbane, Two, Il Centro, and soon a Matt Moran restaurant), good theatre at QPAC, a fantastic stadium at Suncorp and a great inner city beach at South Bank.

On the doorstep is Lamington National Park, or the Galsshouse Mountains, or Bribie Island, Moreton Island, Stradbroke Island, a bit furher to the world's largets sand island at Fraser Island.

Weather is sub tropical so in winter you will get 2 weeks with daytime temps aroudn 14c but otherwise rest of winter is 20c and blue cloudless skies. Summer typically 28-35C, use your pool 5 months a year (without solar heating).

Oh and the people are friendly, pleasant even. Strangers will talk to you. There isnt much obviously visible crime. The streets are clean.

Should I go on?
You have just sold Brisbane to me :-) i have lived in PErth for 4 years and hate it. I have been saying we are going to move to Qld for 2 years and not done it, we are hoping to do it in the next year and actually do it this time.
Yay cant wait!!!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:45 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr

Should I go on?
Brisbane bores me to tears that's why I'm moving to Melbourne in January.

Melbourne's weather is a point of contention but it certainly isn't poor.....last Summer in Brisbane was miserable if I remember correctly, not at all as you describe.

And since when have 'old buildings' been a negative?? You could always take the Brisbane approach and demolish anything old and replace with a sterile, bland & soulless alternative.

Some trams may be old...but at least it's possible to get somewhere late at night and even on a Sunday without having to wait an hour for one to come along!

On a Friday or Saturday night the Valley is an very intimidating place to be - - no crime? You have to be joking!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

I have been thinking the same of two places and still not sure what to do on what place to go,i am going over to validate in perth in jan 09 but not making the move till much later on,but me being a pipefitter i am drawn to perth for my work,brisbane is a place i would really like but not sure if it would have the demand as much for my work,i wish i could decide when that time comes around.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:02 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Old buildings aren't a negative per se, my point was if you are a Eurpoean choosing to move to Australia then going to Melbourne will give you much of the same but with a different accent.

Last summer in Brisbane was poor if you mean it didn't get to 37C+ very much, and rained more than it has in the previous 5 years, but thank god for that.

I have never felt intimidated in the Valley and have nbeen many times; even though at 37 I am clearly the wrong demographic. And of course there is crime in Brisbane but keep out of a couple of suburbs (perhaps including the Valley) and you are unlikey to see any apart from a bit of speeding or littering.

Like anywhere, Brisbane is what you make it. I may have found it boring myself some years ago but no longer. That is more due to the fact that I have changed rather than that Brisbane has changed.

Originally Posted by bcworld
Brisbane bores me to tears that's why I'm moving to Melbourne in January.

Melbourne's weather is a point of contention but it certainly isn't poor.....last Summer in Brisbane was miserable if I remember correctly, not at all as you describe.

And since when have 'old buildings' been a negative?? You could always take the Brisbane approach and demolish anything old and replace with a sterile, bland & soulless alternative.

Some trams may be old...but at least it's possible to get somewhere late at night and even on a Sunday without having to wait an hour for one to come along!

On a Friday or Saturday night the Valley is an very intimidating place to be - - no crime? You have to be joking!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Yep, go East, Perth is boring
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:20 am
Karma Comedian

Just on the music scene issue, here are some places to check out the live music scene in Brisbane:

http://www.thetivoli.net.au/
http://arena.oztix.com.au/
http://www.brisent.com.au/
http://www.thezoo.com.au/home.html
http://www.ricsbar.com.au/indexm.htm
http://www.thetroubadour.com.au/events/

Bands I have seen in Brisbane include Arctic Monkeys, Augie March, Kaiser Chiefs, Operator Please, Silverchair, David Byrne, Coldplay, Kate Heidke-Miller, Angus and Julia Stone, Bob Evans and even Robbie Williams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.