Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Brisbane???? Advice please...

Perth or Brisbane???? Advice please...

Old Jan 1st 2011, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

demi7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth or Brisbane???? Advice please...

We are intending on going over to live in Queensland when we get our visa..if we are so lucky to get it granted but as it gets closer I am considering Perth..

Anyone got any advice or recommendations for Perth???
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Brisbane???? Advice please...

It depends on what sort of lifestyle you want - climate, travel, day-to-day living, leisure activities, work. Can you give us a bit more info about how you would like to live?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Your work may impact this too, currently housing is much cheaper in Brisbane AFAIK.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

I can't speak for Queensland, but Perth does it for me.
Great weather even in the winter(compared to Scotland), good transport infrastructure (so annoying when the train passes you on the freeway), great parks and the beach is never more than 30 mins away(unless you live in the sticks).
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:51 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you want really but I say chose the place that offers you the better jobs because you're going to be spending a lot of your time doing them.

One advantage to Perth that it is a few hours closer to countries to the west, useful if you do a lot of travelling abroad.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:20 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by demi7
We are intending on going over to live in Queensland when we get our visa..if we are so lucky to get it granted but as it gets closer I am considering Perth..

Oooh I feel qualified to answer this iv lived in brissy central Queensland and just moved to Perth, ok so I've only been in Perth a few days but I can give you my observations.
Perth traffic seems better than brissy although I guess there are still people on holiday at the mo. I prefer the Queensland style housing eg highsets it's just weird to sleep downstairs. Alchohol is a complete rip off here I had to ask in the bottle shop if they had the right price on the bottle of Malibu pre mix stuff that you add ice too, I was paying $12 in qld the same bottle was $24 here! Think I'll be doing my liver a favor for a while. The last and main difference is the amount of poms I feel like I'm in benidorm or something the amount of English here is astounding and so far there pissing me off, as an example today I was taken to some friends of my cousins my jaw must have hit the ground when I seen them all sunbathing in 40c the kids too, I was soo angry! I had a think about it and I've came to the conclusion that maybe it's because they are surrounded by other poms who have only spent a few years in the sun these people need to get out and meet some of the Australians that have lived here all thier lifes and take a look at how good they look for it!

Oh and I think it's frezzing in Perth haha although I'm possibly the only pom to think that.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:20 am
Enjoying living in Perth

luis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura about

Hi there,

Originally Posted by demi7

I have been living in Perth for about 3 months now and I am finding it a great place to live, in terms of quality of life in general and things to do (I am very into the beach and water sports -- there is plenty of water bodies here, the river, lakes and obviously the Indian ocean.)

Some of the few issues I find here is that everything seems quite expensive (on the other hand salaries seem to be higher here also), even paying top dollar most shops close early during the week and on Sundays, and it is far from everywhere, including other places in Australia. For instance to go to Sydney it is about $500 return and a 5h flight, which is a bit of stretch for a weekend trip (as an example).

I used to travel quite a bit in Europe (weekends and long weekends) in a regular basis (every 3 months or so) and I find it quite frustrating here, you need to take a week holiday and plan 6 months ahead and get finance to do it If you live in the east coast, you can get to the other capital cities at a fraction of the cost/time (except Perth of course!)

TV is cr*p here too (I mean Foxtel, compared to Sky in the UK) but I guess it is the same all over Australia...

Luis
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:46 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane, because i am/will be there!

Keith
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:54 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Brisbane, because i am/will be there!

Keith
Yeah there are enough poms in Perth already I'd go to brissy, Perth is shit.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:57 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelli28
Yeah there are enough poms in Perth already I'd go to brissy, Perth is shit.
A tad harsh Kelli old girl? There may be some poms who take offence, and you being a meet and greeter..............

Keith
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

It rains a lot in Brisbane, but doesn't get too hot or cold.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
A tad harsh Kelli old girl? There may be some poms who take offence, and you being a meet and greeter..............

Keith
Sorry I forgot my wink wink smiley of course Perth is fantastic otherwise I wouldn't be here!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco
It rains a lot in Brisbane, but doesn't get too hot or cold.
It gets cold in July and august, you just have to find ways of keeping warm
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

It gets cold in July and august, you just have to find ways of keeping warm
Two months I can handle. Great biking weather too!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

The last and main difference is the amount of poms I feel like I'm in benidorm or something the amount of English here is astounding and so far there pissing me off, as an example today I was taken to some friends of my cousins my jaw must have hit the ground when I seen them all sunbathing in 40c the kids too, I was soo angry! I had a think about it and I've came to the conclusion that maybe it's because they are surrounded by other poms who have only spent a few years in the sun these people need to get out and meet some of the Australians that have lived here all thier lifes and take a look at how good they look for it!

Oh and I think it's frezzing in Perth haha although I'm possibly the only pom to think that.
Some northern suburbs and the Rockingham-Mandurah area are well-known to have high numbers of British migrants. You're hard-pushed to hear anything other than British accents at some shopping centres. For your sanity, you might need to consider living in suburbs closer in, mingling with other nationalities as well. It's mainly Western Australians where we live, with only one other British family in our immediate area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.