Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Brisbane

Perth or Brisbane

Old Mar 17th 2018, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Brisbane

Originally Posted by carcajou
Unless you work within walking distance of a beach, forget the idea of going for a post-work dip every day, or that you'll be able to knock off work at 4 to go to a beach bbq under the watch of an approving boss.
I do this. Maybe I'm just lucky. That said virtually impossible in Brisbane - no beach.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NHNH2016
Hi all,
Could anyone advise the positive and negative differences between Perth and Brisbane please?

I have only been to Perth once (last July) and really liked the lifestyle (compared to London). Although we were surprised how cool/cold and wet it was during our two weeks stay, it was actually drier in Melbourne which we were both surprised about. Anyways... My wife and I liked the space and laid back lifestyle (call it quiet if you must). I haven't been to Brisbane, my wife has been to Brisbane but it was over 10 years ago so no doubt it has changed.

A move is a foot with my UK employer where a move/internal transfer to Oz within the next year is being sought (visas would be processed by my employer removing the headache and cost).

However, I haven't yet been asked about location! My wife and I (have a 10wk old baby) and would like to stay away from the major cities (Sydney & Melbs), we're seeking a more balanced/outdoorsy/laid back lifestyle.
I work as a project manager in the construction/civil engineering sector (associate director level) and my wife (currently on maternity leave) is Head of Systems and Production within IT - Investment Sector and she hopes to go back to work next year either doing what she is doing or something similar/else. So if anyone has any information regarding our sectors and job security within Perth/Brisbane and is able to provide an insight would be great for consideration.

Cheers
When we were in iur late 50 we had the idea to retire to Australia i.e. Brisbane. We had planned a 4 week stay. After 2 weeks we knew Brisbane and surroundings weren't for us. We found Brisbane a very boring and provincial city.
Melbourne was much more to our liking.
You are young, don't go to Brisbane.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

NHNH2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
When we were in iur late 50 we had the idea to retire to Australia i.e. Brisbane. We had planned a 4 week stay. After 2 weeks we knew Brisbane and surroundings weren't for us. We found Brisbane a very boring and provincial city.
Melbourne was much more to our liking.
You are young, don't go to Brisbane.
My wife and I are in our early 40s/late 30s...with a 11wk old baby. We're just tired of London/large city lifestyle but aren't ready to retire...trying to find a right balance is all.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NHNH2016
My wife and I are in our early 40s/late 30s...with a 11wk old baby. We're just tired of London/large city lifestyle but aren't ready to retire...trying to find a right balance is all.
What people are trying to explain to you is that the suburbs of Australia's biggest cities can be very similar to the smaller cities. In Melbourne you have easy access to the bay if you live nearby, parks, etc. Sydney has coastline beaches, river beaches, national parks, etc. All perfect for young family outdoor activities.

Brisbane has no beach yet is humid and muggy for most of the year.

To base your choice on a smaller city because you have a young family is a bad mistake. Larger cities have all the bits you desire and in many respects offer more opportunities in many life balancing areas because they are larger.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me that Brisbane is a very small city. It's like a village trying to act like a large city. There is nothing outside of the CBD unlike Melbourne and Sydney that have bustling inner city suburbs upto 25K outside the CBD. The same connot be said of Brisbane. There is no bustle even 5K out of the city.
Sure there are many that like the quiet life and Brisbane outer suburbs is about weekends remaking the garden yet again or cleaning the pool that you use for maybe 4 months of the year. Build your own pizza oven as another project to give you something to do at the weekends or drive for 1-2hrs north or south to get to a nice beach. Well, maybe an hour north to get to Bribie but weekend traffic is terrible as is the poor road infrastructure of Brisbane and woeful public transport.

Don't be taken in by advertising campaigns as just like looking for houses they take misleading pictures of the best aspects of the house and same for a city. Just like Venice is a crumbling, dirty, smelly by the water in summer town that still gets promoted as the city of love. And boy does the Rialto bridge need a repaint and repair.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
What people are trying to explain to you is that the suburbs of Australia's biggest cities can be very similar to the smaller cities. In Melbourne you have easy access to the bay if you live nearby, parks, etc. Sydney has coastline beaches, river beaches, national parks, etc. All perfect for young family outdoor activities.

Brisbane has no beach yet is humid and muggy for most of the year.

To base your choice on a smaller city because you have a young family is a bad mistake. Larger cities have all the bits you desire and in many respects offer more opportunities in many life balancing areas because they are larger.
If you are looking to leave "big city headache" behind then you should think regional rather than capital city, and perhaps look at smaller towns in the UK. Perth and Brisbane are not small towns and have the same issues Sydney and Melbourne do and I agree with Beoz's sentiment that you are not likely to find more "balance" in Perth or Brisbane because they are smaller than Sydney or Melbourne.

I would encourage you to put better definition on what "balance" and "lifestyle" means to you. To many people it means "more time with the kids" or "work less." Very unlikely you will find that by transferring to Australia - regardless of which capital city you transfer to.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 3:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73

Brisbane weather. Well the winter days are generally quite pleasant but gets pretty cold at night and same problem with housing and insulation. In summer it's like walking around in atomised honey and that's for nearly half of the year during a bad year but at least 4mnths of the year is the norm. Low to high 30's are the norm for summer but anything over 26C and 50% humidity starts to get yukky and so this will be for most of summer. I started out in my late 20's quite able to handle the heat but after 14yrs I hate humid heat. Dry heats not so bad but also something to think about.
34 degrees in Brisbane right now, I have to say that is an absolutely spot-on description!
Old Mar 18th 2018, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by carcajou
If you are looking to leave "big city headache" behind then you should think regional rather than capital city, and perhaps look at smaller towns in the UK. Perth and Brisbane are not small towns and have the same issues Sydney and Melbourne do and I agree with Beoz's sentiment that you are not likely to find more "balance" in Perth or Brisbane because they are smaller than Sydney or Melbourne.

I would encourage you to put better definition on what "balance" and "lifestyle" means to you. To many people it means "more time with the kids" or "work less." Very unlikely you will find that by transferring to Australia - regardless of which capital city you transfer to.
Fair point

There's only 2 cities I have lived for 10+ years period of time and that is London and Sydney.

As much as I love London, the long extended length of winter and cloudy skies don't lend itself too well for getting the kids outside. The weather, damp parks, etc tends influence more toward indoor activities.

On the flipside Sydney (I will use that as an example as I know it) has a short winter, even then it's brilliant blues skies, and there's always outdoor activities to do which don't cost.

Put the outdoor part along side parent work, kids school, there's more available balance.

Of course in really hot places kids may gravitate to indoor, airconditoned activities, like what happens in the UK.

Need to find that place with long summers which are temperate to keep the work, life, balance thing. Work is work. Let me know where the 10 hour week is for the same amount of money. We will all go.

Last edited by Beoz; Mar 18th 2018 at 10:08 am.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point

There's only 2 cities I have lived for 10+ years period of time and that is London and Sydney.

As much as I love London, the long extended length of winter and cloudy skies don't lend itself too well for getting the kids outside. The weather, damp parks, etc tends influence more toward indoor activities.

On the flipside Sydney (I will use that as an example as I know it) has a short winter, even then it's brilliant blues skies, and there's always outdoor activities to do which don't cost.

Put the outdoor part along side parent work, kids school, there's more available balance.

Of course in really hot places kids may gravitate to indoor, airconditoned activities, like what happens in the UK.

Need to find that place with long summers which are temperate to keep the work, life, balance thing. Work is work. Let me know where the 10 hour week is for the same amount of money. We will all go.
I wouldn't raise children in either.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by verystormy
I wouldn't raise children in either.
That's really deep and meaningful.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Unless right schools kids can indeed grow up 'woolly' and very 'unworldly' . which taking it further infers some hefty out goings from the piggy bank.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 1:25 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Just go to Tasmania.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on the sort of people you are, perhaps harder to adapt to either city mentioned, after living in London than anticipated.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It is still light in Melbourne at 9pm at the summer solstice.

I find that the London / Melbourne work culture is similar. People took things rather more seriously in London: here people will leave early on a Friday or tell you to go home if you are at your desk too long. It's important but not that important (As long as the work gets done). Many professionals read and process email outside work hours but this is more about remaining connected (etc).
Old Apr 12th 2018, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I do this. Maybe I'm just lucky. That said virtually impossible in Brisbane - no beach.
No *ocean* beach.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.