Reload this Page >

Perth or Brisbane?

Perth or Brisbane?

Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:45 am
Just Joined

spikeyjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth or Brisbane?

Hi,

Considering moving to oz, but not sure if we should head for Perth or Brisbane?

Main reason we want to move to Oz, is to hopefully give our son a better life and up bringing?

Main considerations for our decision are: Good schools, low crime, nice area to live, not too far from city and close to water, beach ie the dream!

Could we afford all this in Perth, house prices seem high? Same question for Brisbane.

We would probably be looking to spend about $400k on house.

Also which areas best in perth/brisbane to provide this?

Apologies for all the questions, we are so confused/undecided/scared?

Many thanks
Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Brisbane?

Can't really help with any of your questions as I live in Sydney.

I'd suggest though, that initially the search button should be your friend.

All your questions have come up dozens of times in the past and there's been heaps written about the various merits and demerits of Perth and Brisbane.

Here's a thread to get you started:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424590

Last edited by NickyC; Feb 11th 2007 at 12:34 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

Originally Posted by NickyC
Can't really help with any of your questions as I live in Sydney.

I'd suggest though, that initially the search button should be your friend.

All your questions have come up dozens of times in the past and there's been heaps written about the various merits and demerits of Perth and Brisbane.

Here's a thread to get you started:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424590
Try n help.Brisbane has no beaches about an hour to the coast.Plus for Brisbane cheap to fly to toehr places as expensive from Perth.

Perth is lovely fab beaches and so clean.
Ellenbrook is a new area which is nice n quiet near wineries,good for motercross plenty of places for that.Horse riding.
25 mins beach or City.
15 mins for big shopping centres with movies but has its own shopping centre also but not very big.Great schools new high school just opened catering for years 7-8 + 2 private schools and 3 Primary schools.

Also look at Mandurah about 1 hour out of Perth + Bundbury.
Good luck hard choice.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:27 pm
helsbels1975

helsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Perth or Brisbane?

After careful consideration we've decided on Perth, great schools, lovely beaches . It is a very hard choice though.
Good luck
hels x
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helsbels1975
After careful consideration we've decided on Perth, great schools, lovely beaches . It is a very hard choice though.
Good luck
hels x
Many thanks Helen, its much appreciated.

Which area of perth have you decided on and why? Only concern re perth was if we would be able to afford to buy somewhere as quite a few threads saying how expensive it is?
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the advice.

I cant help but thinking we should head for the beach life???? So predictable I know!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:21 pm
helsbels1975

helsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant futurehelsbels1975 has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Perth or Brisbane?

Hi Spikeyjo, i've managed to narrow it down to a few places such as Secret harbour, fremantle and kinross, a couple of others too. Kinross is a favourite OH has a cousin there and the schools seem very good, i need to be near a hosptial or work as well. Don't want to be in Perth itself but do want to be close enough to go there occasionally.
I've been looking at houses in those areas on www.realestate.com.au which i've found very useful. We plan on renting for the first 6 months or so then looking to buy after we'e settled.
Good luck
Hels x
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:31 pm
hairdresser, bristol X

emmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to beholdemmalina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spikeyjo
Hi,

Considering moving to oz, but not sure if we should head for Perth or Brisbane?

Main reason we want to move to Oz, is to hopefully give our son a better life and up bringing?

Main considerations for our decision are: Good schools, low crime, nice area to live, not too far from city and close to water, beach ie the dream!

Could we afford all this in Perth, house prices seem high? Same question for Brisbane.

We would probably be looking to spend about $400k on house.

Also which areas best in perth/brisbane to provide this?

Apologies for all the questions, we are so confused/undecided/scared?

Many thanks
we have chosen the sunshine coast which is just above Brisbane. Caloundra is very reasonable house prices, excellent schools and 8 beaches all within 10 mins. chech out the houses on realestate.com.au. We have also been there on holiday and fell in love with the place - it is excelent for families. Reason house prices cheaper is because its an up and coming area. You have also got rainforest, mountains and hinterland close by. Greatbarrier reef is 2 hours up the coast and bris only 1 hr away. Perth on the other hand is far more isolated. hope this helps x x x x x
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:09 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmalina
we have chosen the sunshine coast which is just above Brisbane. Caloundra is very reasonable house prices, excellent schools and 8 beaches all within 10 mins. chech out the houses on realestate.com.au. We have also been there on holiday and fell in love with the place - it is excelent for families. Reason house prices cheaper is because its an up and coming area. You have also got rainforest, mountains and hinterland close by. Greatbarrier reef is 2 hours up the coast and bris only 1 hr away. Perth on the other hand is far more isolated. hope this helps x x x x x
I think you should check your distances....the Barrier Reef is a lot more than 2 hours from Caloundra and you will probably find it takes more than an hour to get into Brisbane.

G