Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth / Brisbane ?

Perth / Brisbane ?

Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:36 am
ged
Forum Regular

ged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really nice
Thumbs up Perth / Brisbane ?

Hi Folks,

Just joined today, i am a refrigeration engineer working on shipping containers. We have had the ok from the aussie trade recognition board and just about to apply for our visas. I have been in touch with company's in Aus and although our preference would be to live & work in Perth i have had a job offer in Brisbane, we have not visited either off these city's, i am married with 3 kids.
Looking for information about these locations.

Thanks
Ged
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth / Brisbane ?

Originally Posted by ged
Hi Folks,

Just joined today, i am a refrigeration engineer working on shipping containers. We have had the ok from the aussie trade recognition board and just about to apply for our visas. I have been in touch with company's in Aus and although our preference would be to live & work in Perth i have had a job offer in Brisbane, we have not visited either off these city's, i am married with 3 kids.

Thanks
Ged
morning ged and welcome to expats. I liked perth but loved brisbane. i would do your research using the net and see which city appeals the most. you should get some help on here from those already out there.

anyway, well done for the job offer and good luck with whatever you decide.

debbie
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Ozceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the rough

I would seriously suggest a trip to all possible locations to see them for yourself. A few quid spent now on a fact finding trip could save thousands later in interstate removals and upheaval of the kids from school.
We visited both Perth and Brisbane thinking the choice would be difficult but Brisbane won hands down for us.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Perth / Brisbane ?

Originally Posted by ged
Hi Folks,

Thanks
Ged
Hi Ged - just joined today too - your dilema is the same as ours - however I am considering Brisbane - but Perth house prices seem more favourable?
angela
Old Oct 17th 2005, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I would say Brisbane, but maybe it is a biased opinion as I live in Brisbane, love it here and also I have never been to Perth lol. I can imagine it being a hard decision, and one that is made even harder if you have never visited either place. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Amanda
Old Oct 17th 2005, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angela Marie
Hi Ged - just joined today too - your dilema is the same as ours - however I am considering Brisbane - but Perth house prices seem more favourable?
angela
welcome angela, ther arent many people around this morning but you'll both get some good replies i'm sure. obvoisly its going to biased from those living in perth and brissie! a debate that has been talked about a few times already on here.

if you do a search....perth or brisbane....i'm sure you'll get some past threads to keep you going.

good luck

debbie
ps. i like perth, but lurveeee brisbane
Old Oct 17th 2005, 12:18 pm
jackie

angela
Hi Angela iam ged wife how far r you into emigrating ? My uncle is sponsoring us just waiting for him to send us his docs .Were not far from you we live in crosby liverpool trying to sell the house its a nightmare.You sold yours yet? Have you any children? we have three aged 15 , 8 , 7 all looking forward to it .jackie

Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ged
Hi Folks,

Thanks
Ged

Hi Ged and welcome,

I know the dilemma that you face - we were in a similar one and ended up in Perth. Been here for 3 months now. Visited Brisbane and the Gold Coast (which I hated) briefly a few years ago. I can give you my opinion of Perth - which I hope is balanced!!

Perth is generally a 'nice' city. I say nice because this is just about it! Think about a largish town in the UK and you have it. People talk about a large country town feel rather than a capital city and I endorse this. The CBD is pleasant but small.

It really sprawls and most of the suburbs are - from my experience - very similar. But again generally, they are nice!! There are some good suburban centres which have more life and excitement - Fremantle, Subiaco and my favourite Northbridge (because it really gives the city life).

For young families it is excellent - providing that you are a child centred parent!! Loads of excellent parks, glorious beaches. There are also lots of activities to do - wine tours, boat trips, sports. But if you are a city excitement lover (in the manner of say London, Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh) you will be very disappointed.

I've been very disappointed with the climate - I expected warmer, drier winters (I did do some research but as people have said on here, the figures don't mean much when you are in a house with no insulation, central heating or double glazing). Brisbane would on refelction have been more my type of climate but for some people it may be too humid in summer. Having said that the weather here is currently fabulous.

Landscape locally to Perth is boring - flat and sandy but I understand that if you head south the scenery is superb. Not done that trip yet.

Perth is booming - I think it will only improve. For us it has probably been the right decision - primarily because it is so child centred and it is so 'nice'.

I'm not convinced that I could stay here forever though but this is partly because of what Australia is as much as what Perth is. My concern about Perth would be its isolation for my kids.

For what it's worth, anecdotally, I've read a lot less complaints about the eastern cities than I have about Perth on this forum!!

Good luck.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 11:32 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ged

Also with 3 bin lids you will have to think about travel for holidays etc long and expensive flights from over in Perth if you want to visit any of the Eastern cities and beach resorts. I can only talk about the Brisbane port (seeing as you work on shipping containers) but by all reports its booming and should provide plenty of work. Sure a Perthite will give you the low down on that side of the country.

Enjoy

Originally Posted by ged
Hi Folks,

Thanks
Ged
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:33 am
ged
Forum Regular

ged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really niceged is just really nice
Smile Re: Perth / Brisbane ?

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Hi Ged

Also with 3 bin lids you will have to think about travel for holidays etc long and expensive flights from over in Perth if you want to visit any of the Eastern cities and beach resorts. I can only talk about the Brisbane port (seeing as you work on shipping containers) but by all reports its booming and should provide plenty of work. Sure a Perthite will give you the low down on that side of the country.

Enjoy
Hi Trickytree,

Thanks for your info / input. Any info you come across with regards the ports etc would be most grateful.

Thanks
Ged
Old Oct 18th 2005, 8:57 am
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice

Originally Posted by ged
Hi Folks,

Thanks
Ged
We chose Perff because of contacts, friends, rellies. On reflection, if we'd had no ties and a 50/50 choice, I would head straight to Bris no question. Fabulous place, damn site warmer, and well connected to the rest of oz and this planet...
Old Oct 18th 2005, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie
Hi Angela iam ged wife how far r you into emigrating ? My uncle is sponsoring us just waiting for him to send us his docs .Were not far from you we live in crosby liverpool trying to sell the house its a nightmare.You sold yours yet? Have you any children? we have three aged 15 , 8 , 7 all looking forward to it .jackie
Hi jackie
I have sent you a pm - hope it reaches you .
angela
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:40 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nixstuff
We chose Perff because of contacts, friends, rellies. On reflection, if we'd had no ties and a 50/50 choice, I would head straight to Bris no question. Fabulous place, damn site warmer, and well connected to the rest of oz and this planet...
lol
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by samnrob2
lol
Sold! - sounds perfect. Brisbane it is.
angela
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:54 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Sold! - sounds perfect. Brisbane it is.
angela
I've never been to Perth so I don't really have a view on the place. We really like Brisbane and it just seems that all the work colleagues I know in Perth can't stand the place.

As I say though, I've never been and one's person's paradise is another's hell. All I know is that I like Brisbane and I can get to Melbourne and Sydney within a couple of hours as and when I want (Got tickets for the Australian Open Tennis finals in January - Melbourne here we come! )

R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.