Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Brisbane

Perth or Brisbane

Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:27 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
I dont know if many people have missed this point. Australians themselves think Perth is very isolated. Even the very cheap houses cant tempt most.

Speak to Australians who have been there, sometimes for for a year or so of mining work, or those that have been tempted by the cheap housing most have returned.

My husband has lived there, his first description to me was its lovely, clean, nice beaches, but go a couple of hours in any direction and what have you got Nothing.
Nothing. No Next. No Tesco. No M&S. No Museums to Departed Cultures. No Theatres of Mass Entertainment passing as Culture. No Nuffink.

Just You Alone with the Remnants of Creation, an Empty Brain and the Whispering Wind.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Megalania
Nothing. No Next. No Tesco. No M&S. No Museums to Departed Cultures. No Theatres of Mass Entertainment passing as Culture. No Nuffink.

Just You Alone with the Remnants of Creation, an Empty Brain and the Whispering Wind.
Seeing as the dozen or so people I know who have lived in Perth and come back with that conclusion are blokes, blokes who worked out in mines and in engineering I doubt very much they would have terribly much interest in Next or Tescos let alone your fascination with M&S knickers.

I doubt actually they would even know what any of the above were.

Australians Meg, australians who found Perth a bit quiet even for them.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:58 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Seeing as the dozen or so people I know who have lived in Perth and come back with that conclusion are blokes, blokes who worked out in mines and in engineering I doubt very much they would have terribly much interest in Next or Tescos let alone your fascination with M&S knickers.

I doubt actually they would even know what any of the above were.

Australians Meg, australians who found Perth a bit quiet even for them.
Let us hope that a Binge in the Glad Rags Departments will be Full-Filling for you.

There is no doubt that many will find Perth quiet. They have been Warned.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sarah d
Hi to you all
Renth,
I agree with you that the beaches and scenery in Perth are absolutely stunning, but with 3 kids aged between 5 and 13 I am concerned that beach- life will not be enough to keep them occupied.Is there much more to Perth than the beautiful beaches?
Get them to join a surf lifesaving club. Lots of wholesome fun for all the family.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:44 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth
Get them to join a surf lifesaving club. Lots of wholesome fun for all the family.
Plenty of soggy saos.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Scossie

In our opinion we now live in the best City in the world.
Agreed - best city in the world, hands down.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 2:02 am
(It's not my real name)

I dont know if many people have missed this point. Australians themselves think Perth is very isolated. Even the very cheap houses cant tempt most.

Speak to Australians who have been there, sometimes for for a year or so of mining work, or those that have been tempted by the cheap housing most have returned.

My husband has lived there, his first description to me was its lovely, clean, nice beaches, but go a couple of hours in any direction and what have you got Nothing.

There's a hell of a lot of Aussies moving to Perth, particularly form Victoria.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
There's a hell of a lot of Aussies moving to Perth, particularly form Victoria.
There will always be a few Australians moving around from city to city. There are always heaps of Victorians moving to Queensland, too.

Just think about it. Australian's aren't stupid you know. If Perth really was the 'best city in the world' don't you think it would be swamped by other Australians who can't afford to buy the house by the beach in any other city? English migrants don't have a monopoly on wanting a big house/pool right near the beach. If Perth was that desirable it would have a population the size of Sydney and Melbourne combined!

Well, it doesn't have the population of Sydney and Melbourne combined because most Australians don't want to live there. It's cheaper than anywhere else because most Australians don't want to live there. So what do they know that the average WA migrant doesn't? They KNOW it's small, it's isolated, it's expensive to get away from and that there are much better places elsewhere!
Old Feb 12th 2004, 4:07 am
Banned

Originally posted by nickyc
There will always be a few Australians moving around from city to city. There are always heaps of Victorians moving to Queensland, too.

Just think about it. Australian's aren't stupid you know. If Perth really was the 'best city in the world' don't you think it would be swamped by other Australians who can't afford to buy the house by the beach in any other city? English migrants don't have a monopoly on wanting a big house/pool right near the beach. If Perth was that desirable it would have a population the size of Sydney and Melbourne combined!

Well, it doesn't have the population of Sydney and Melbourne combined because most Australians don't want to live there. It's cheaper than anywhere else because most Australians don't want to live there. So what do they know that the average WA migrant doesn't? They KNOW it's small, it's isolated, it's expensive to get away from and that there are much better places elsewhere!
And that's why some live there.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:57 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
And that's why some live there.
lol!

Exactly! We seem to have forgotten about that.

And found this on the ABS site:
"New South Wales had the largest net interstate migration outflow during 2001-02 (-23,800 people). The second highest net outflow was from Western Australia (-4,200)"

QLD and Vic were the only ones with a net gain.

From 1995-2000 Brisbane had an populaion increase of 1.8% and then comes Perth with 1.7%
The comes Sydney and Melbourne with 1.3%

Of the regional areas Gold Coast and Sunshine coast are way ahead with 3.5% and 3.4

Anyway.....I prefer less ants!
Attached Thumbnails Perth or Brisbane-0.gif  
Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone82
lol!
And found this on the ABS site:
"New South Wales had the largest net interstate migration outflow during 2001-02 (-23,800 people). The second highest net outflow was from Western Australia (-4,200)"

QLD and Vic were the only ones with a net gain.
"In the year ended June 2003 Queensland and Tasmania recorded net interstate migration gains, Victoria recorded little change and the remaining states and territories recorded losses. Queensland had a gain of 39,200 persons while Tasmania gained 1,900 persons. New South Wales lost the highest number of persons (-31,800) followed by the Northern Territory (-3,400), Western Australia (-2,800), the Australian Capital Territory (-1,600) and South Australia (-1,500)"

abs page

Think you'll find that everyone moved to Queensland! I wonder why?
Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Rune is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived in Australia for the last 35 years. In that time, I've lived in, worked in and/or visited all the other states. In my opinion, anyone who prefers Q'land to WA has rocks in their heads!
I lived and worked near Brisbane, on the Atherton Table lands and in the World Heritage Rainforest, North of the Daintree. Didn't matter where I went, the humidity and the mosquitoes were killers!
Of course, what one thinks about Perth depends on one's interests. But among its attributes, no-one's mentioned the annual world-class Festival, the free concerts (everything from classics to pop); the numerous outdoor cinemas, where one takes a picnic and eats with friends before the movie begins as dusk falls; th e joy of going out for coffee and cake late in the evening......Perth, my friends, is for the DISCRIMINATING migrant. No others need apply!
Old Feb 12th 2004, 1:00 pm
Banned

Originally posted by nickyc
"In the year ended June 2003 Queensland and Tasmania recorded net interstate migration gains, Victoria recorded little change and the remaining states and territories recorded losses. Queensland had a gain of 39,200 persons while Tasmania gained 1,900 persons. New South Wales lost the highest number of persons (-31,800) followed by the Northern Territory (-3,400), Western Australia (-2,800), the Australian Capital Territory (-1,600) and South Australia (-1,500)"

abs page

Think you'll find that everyone moved to Queensland! I wonder why?
No, last I looked there were still people south of the Qld NSW border.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 11:12 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by Rune
I've lived in Australia for the last 35 years. In that time, I've lived in, worked in and/or visited all the other states. In my opinion, anyone who prefers Q'land to WA has rocks in their heads!
I lived and worked near Brisbane, on the Atherton Table lands and in the World Heritage Rainforest, North of the Daintree. Didn't matter where I went, the humidity and the mosquitoes were killers!
Of course, what one thinks about Perth depends on one's interests. But among its attributes, no-one's mentioned the annual world-class Festival, the free concerts (everything from classics to pop); the numerous outdoor cinemas, where one takes a picnic and eats with friends before the movie begins as dusk falls; th e joy of going out for coffee and cake late in the evening......Perth, my friends, is for the DISCRIMINATING migrant. No others need apply!
Thanks for mentioning the festival. The 3rd oldest arts festival in the world after Edinburgh and one in France.

Or as they always seem to do in Australia "The oldest Arts Festival in the Southern Hemisphere!"

http://www.perthfestival.com.au/Fest...ion/home.home/
Old Feb 13th 2004, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Rune
But you get all that in all the other cities too! They all have free outdoor concerts, open-air movies, endless festivals and more cafes than you can poke a stick at. Those things are attributes of Australia not just Perth.

I don't actually dislike Perth. In itself it's a nice clean city. It's just it's location that's the problem. If you're happy to live in a city that's surrounded by desert and two thousand miles from anywhere else of reasonable size (and even then it's only Adelaide) then go for it. Personally, I like to feel that there's a little more over the horizon than a million hectares of nothingness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.