Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Brisbane

Perth or Brisbane

Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:03 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sarah d
Is there much more to Perth than the beautiful beaches?

have a look here to start with

http://www.countrywide.com.au/attractions/

or here

http://www.countrywide.com.au/free/

also here

http://www.streetsofperth.com.au/
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth or Brisbane

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
and still they have only interacted with a few thousand at the most !!!! And even then only on a superficial level for most.

Some people can't adapt to a move of 50kms down the road to a new town !!!!!

The location or size or isolation is not the problem, just the excuse - the problem is the newness and the lack of familiarity, friends etc.. whether its 50kms or 12000 kms
I can only agree with you. Some people can't live on the other side of town because it is so unfamiliar.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:13 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
They interact with billions. Perth is the world's most isolated city > 1 M.
never lived in Europe then have you

I've lived and worked in 14 different countries on 4 different continents and havent interacted with more than a few tens of thousands and thats including internet people as well as real people. (and a very loose interpretation of the word interact.)

Unless you are talking about walking about the streets and on subway trains just seeing faces and bumping and being bumped but without out actually talking to them then I agree, I've "interacted" with Millions

Perth may be the worlds most isolated city geographically, but there are many other cities that are actually more isolated than Perth in terms of activities and ability to travel outside the area (weather, politics, infrastructure et al. )
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:18 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally posted by russell deane
I agree with you!

I work in the oil industry and come to scotland every month. But before working here i had never came before, or the lake district or Ireland or wales or the norfolk broads which is 2 miles away.

You have to be bold stand up and be counted and say this is what I am doing this is where I'm going and thats that.

Russell (sarahd's Husband)

hey Russell,
who do you work for ? I used to do contract work for Geolabs.
Mairi
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

russell deane is an unknown quantity at this point

hey Russell,
who do you work for ? I used to do contract work for Geolabs.
Mairi

Hi I work for Kellogg Brown and Root.

I have worked for Amec, Kvaerner actually mosy of the major contractors in Aberdeen.
I am currently on a Conocophillips platform.

When we come to Perth I want to get out of this game.

Russell
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:31 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Hi I work for Kellogg Brown and Root.

I have worked for Amec, Kvaerner actually mosy of the major contractors in Aberdeen.
I am currently on a Conocophillips platform.

When we come to Perth I want to get out of this game.

Russell

cant say I blame you mate. I got out of it 6 years ago and now work in telecomms. Hoping to get out of that too now. Why do big companies always screw up so badly ?
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:35 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

never lived in Europe then have you
Yep. Maybe its foggy where you've been.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

russell deane is an unknown quantity at this point

cant say I blame you mate. I got out of it 6 years ago and now work in telecomms. Hoping to get out of that too now. Why do big companies always screw up so badly ?

I have only been doing this seven years but I feel this is seven years too long!!

My youngest daughter is 5 and I have only seen her half her life.

I am not proud and will be a road sweeper, dustman clear up pig s*** if I have to. The sooner out of this the better.

Any way enough of the winging. Roll on Australia.

Russell
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:44 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

I am not proud and will be a road sweeper, dustman clear up pig s*** if I have to. The sooner out of this the better.
Couldnt agree more mate We are thinking exactly the same
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:46 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally posted by Megalania
Yep. Maybe its foggy where you've been.

teehee. either that or my rose coloured sunglasses have been out of focus
Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:17 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

I have only been doing this seven years but I feel this is seven years too long!!

My youngest daughter is 5 and I have only seen her half her life.

Any way enough of the winging. Roll on Australia.

Russell
Disclaimer Notice:
Try and change your life before emmigrating to OZ?
Old Feb 11th 2004, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Graham & Kath
When you live your day to day lives I dont think it matters where you live to a degree - well yes you do have days out etc and holidays but not every day and it does come down to money as well I feel - we still have to work everyday and normal living, so really its only holiday times etc you can visit all these places - and Australia is so vast surely you can do the "holiday thing" to different parts of Oz (if you know what I mean).
Kaththelecturernot:lecture:
Well that's my point really. Of course you take most of your holidays and quick breaks within Australia - it's not exactly the sort of place where you can go overseas for a weekend. Australia has some fantastic holiday destinations - almost all of which are on the East Coast! Sure if you live in Perth no-one is stopping you from going to those places but for a family of four you either have to drive for six days to get there and back OR pay two thousand dollars in airfares (on top of what the East Coaster would pay).

So what is a cheapish holiday for the east-coaster turns out to be a major expedition for people living in Perth. So in reality most WA people spend most of their time in WA....which would get pretty unexciting after a while...
Old Feb 11th 2004, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes but I look upon it this way - if we stayed in Britain we would just live here - tootly around about etc - why are we all going to Perth cos of the lifestyle and beaches etc - why then would we wanna leave the place we thought would give us just that - do you know what I mean - the whole idea of moving to Perth/Oz is for a better life style - thats the only reason we all wanna leave UK - if we wanted to travel vastly we could stay here in UK and do our annual 2 weeks to Spain etc, but there its there on your doorstep.(and believe me thats just as expensive with 5 of you!!)

Ill buy a camper van its probably cheaper

Have I totally lost the plot???

Kath
Old Feb 11th 2004, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point

I know we'll all make friends with people in Queensland and stay with them for 3 weeks!!!! (well it might be a bit cheaper)

Kath
Old Feb 11th 2004, 1:26 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally posted by nickyc
Well that's my point really. Of course you take most of your holidays and quick breaks within Australia - it's not exactly the sort of place where you can go overseas for a weekend. Australia has some fantastic holiday destinations - almost all of which are on the East Coast! Sure if you live in Perth no-one is stopping you from going to those places but for a family of four you either have to drive for six days to get there and back OR pay two thousand dollars in airfares (on top of what the East Coaster would pay).

So what is a cheapish holiday for the east-coaster turns out to be a major expedition for people living in Perth. So in reality most WA people spend most of their time in WA....which would get pretty unexciting after a while...
Absolutely true in general. But a Perth based family can do a Singapore &/or Thailand holiday cheaper and easier than a east coast family.

swings and roundabouts

Last edited by Mairi&Chris; Feb 11th 2004 at 1:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.