Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

perth bound - opinions of these suburbs

perth bound - opinions of these suburbs

Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

nursemand has a brilliant futurenursemand has a brilliant futurenursemand has a brilliant futurenursemand has a brilliant futurenursemand has a brilliant futurenursemand has a brilliant future
Default perth bound - opinions of these suburbs

honest opinion of these greatly appreciated

want to be close to CBD for cafe, nightlight, markets/shops or somewhere that has its own vibe/beach!!

me and hubby only so after 2 bed apart/unit to rent for first 6 months - don't care if small

inaloo maylands east vicotria park

claremount wembley leederville

scarborough

Go on - don't be shy - fire away with ya views and any alternatives suggestions
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:15 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: perth bound - opinions of these suburbs

Originally Posted by nursemand

want to be close to CBD for cafe, nightlight, markets/shops or somewhere that has its own vibe/beach!!

me and hubby only so after 2 bed apart/unit to rent for first 6 months - don't care if small

scarborough

For your requirements, Scarborough is the way to go.

It's about 14km from the CBD as the crow flies, with a terrific beach nearby.

Great suburb; quite trendy, with a good vibe. It also has a hotel and restaurant complex called Observation City, which serves as a focal point for punters visiting the beach.

Facilities on the beachfront are excellent, with free parking, lots of green grass to mess around on, plenty of clean sand on the beach, and lots of lovely waves doing all those good things that make us want to play in them.

I should warn you that Scarborough is horribly expensive if you're looking to buy a house, and just as horribly expensive even if you're only renting.

However, it's an excellent choice if you have the money.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:05 am
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: perth bound - opinions of these suburbs

scarborough

I would say cottesloe would have more the cafe/beach life as it has a few pubs, loads of cafes golf course shopping centre and there are some apartment blocks overlooking the beach not just a big ugly tower that sticks out. Just my opinion . Suzette
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:05 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

scarborough

Innaloo - shopping centre/not cafe/beachy. Not for you!
Claremount - lovely area, not too far from beach (5 minute drive maybe). Lovely shops, nice cafes
Maylands - on the river east of city. On the way up, can look a bit worn in places. 15-20 mins from beach. Don't know about nightlife, cafes
Wembley - Shops, cafes, restaurants. Pub. Less than 10 mins from city(car). 5 minutes (car) from subi/Leederville. 5-6 mins max from beach (driving).
Leederville - great restaurants, cafes, pubs, vibrant. Cinema. Close to city. 10 mins drive to beach.
Scarborough - on the beach! pubs, cafes. Some places a bit rough! The beachfront development is not that easy on the eye.

Will you have a car? Or scooter. (You can pick up a great scooter, new 125cc for $3k). If so, I'd look at Subiaco.

Best bet - rent something fully furnished in, say, Scarborough or Subi for a couple of weeks, and then hire a car and have a good look around before committing yourselves. I think its really personal, you have to see the place before making a decision.

Good luck!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

scarborough

How about Subiaco, or surrounding suburbs? I think that has the kind of vibe you're looking for. Not on the beach, but close to some great beaches and the CBD.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Hi...

From your list I would say Claremont is the best fit; good cafes, good shopping, not on the beach but close to Cottesloe and not far from other good beaches. Train to the city is good and all Fremantle line trains to and from the City stop there so you never too long to wait, last train leaves Perth at 2am so can go out in the City and still get back by public transport if needed.

I would agree with other posters that Cottesloe and Subi would be good alternatives to consider.

Cheers

Paul

scarborough

Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

nursemand has a brilliant futurenursemand has a brilliant futurenursemand has a brilliant futurenursemand has a brilliant futurenursemand has a brilliant futurenursemand has a brilliant future

Cheers all

for your positive input...greatly appreciated

definately think will do short term furnished let, for a few weeks and have a nose

once again many thanks all
Old Jul 14th 2006, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Exile
How about Subiaco, or surrounding suburbs? I think that has the kind of vibe you're looking for. Not on the beach, but close to some great beaches and the CBD.
Doesn't Subi cost a fortune these days? Or is that just the Centro apartments? :scared:
Old Jul 14th 2006, 8:23 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: perth bound - opinions of these suburbs

Originally Posted by noonard
Doesn't Subi cost a fortune these days? Or is that just the Centro apartments? :scared:
Yep. Subi, Claremont and Cotts are through the roof. Scarborough is also wildly expensive, but not quite as bad (though it's a close-run thing!)

I guess we are all assuming that the OP is loaded to the gills.