Perth Bound?

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Finch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth Bound?

Hi

Been on holiday came back and scrolled about 12 pages of threads and surprised at some of the anti Oz posts. Flip side, theres a lot of positive talk nowadays regarding people getting there visa's and suggesting BBQ's when arriving and all that, but unless I'm mistaken there isn't a lot of organisation to make these happen (maybe wrong!). So what I thought I would do whilst reading through the posts was to list all the people heading to Perth so that those that are interested, and I know that won't be everybody, can meet up at some stage. I've lived in Perth (12 years ago) for 3 years came back, so I know the benefits to be had of being able to talk to people in the same boat, share experiences, concerns and good times. Homesickness is a real thing, it can be real lonely and the feeling of isolation can be difficult to overcome, but not everybody experiences it. I'm not an advocate of creating mini enclaves of the UK in Oz though, intergration is the key to success in OZ.

I'm not sure how to go about organising this yet (or whether I want to be the organiser!) so suggestons are welcome. What would be useful is to be able to create a list of names, with some family details ie single, married, kids etc, when heading out, email addresses etc, but away from the forum since all those not headed to Perth will be completely bored (but it would be good to be able to channel new users into the list also). I don't want this to be seen as a barrier though to the dialogue that goes on between all the users on the NG wherever they may be heading, I'm not talking about creating a separate NG just for Perth people. If anybody who is heading to any other city would like organize something similar for people heading in other directions then feel free.

Please accept my apologies if I have missed people off, or if I have offended by including you. Basically ignore this post if it isn't for you. I've listed just by user names, in alphabetical order. Ive also listed those people that contribute who are already there.

Again this is just meant as a way of being able to meet people in the same boat as you, once you get there. Is this a good idea?

So if you want to be included or have any suggestions, just respond to the post, I'll edit the list as appropriate and then hopefully we can find the best way of taking it to the next stage.

Ps I suggest baldbutts and tipper form there own little twosome.........just joking guys.

akq
aussiebloke
baldbutts
claire
col
dave and yve
diane
dpr21
finch
fox
gareth w
helena
ian curtis
jasmin
john lamont
jopaulss
mandandbri
micky
nicky turner
norm
pablo picasso
phil outram
sophia
summers family
terry tuleu
tipper
tobyabe
tracey
yvsie
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice
Default Re: Perth Bound?

Hi Finch

It's a great idea...count me & hubby in (Gareth W)...although, have a feeling it will be a mammoth task trying to organise it

love sophia xx

ps, can't someone design a barbie smilie???
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 2:54 pm
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point

We are definitely up for a "reunion" should that be union (!!!!)

If / when we ever get there I would be happy to help with organising, too massive a job for one I think!!

Don't worry some of us have kept positive through the recent negativity!!!!! Either that or I am now completely insane!!!

Sarah
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Finch

When are you heading down under?
I know someone who will be going very soon, but i am not allowed to tell- you'll all know tonight in no uncertain terms!
Great idea- I am happy to be keeper of email addresses if you want but will need some help with the bbq! Maybe a beach party is more viable! (unless anyone out there is seriously wadged and can afford humumgous mansion!)

Cheers

Nicky
[email protected]

PS Anyone know if we can take computers with us as my home one is broken and dont want to buy a new one for just a few months!
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 2:57 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Finch,

Im in too....but you'll have to wait till next yr for me....

What a cool idea!!!!

I like a good party :PARTY:
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

mandandbri is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Perth Bound?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yvsie:
Dear Finch
this is a great idea we were only saying last night that we would have to join clubs to find fellow booze and barbeque pals!!!

We are 13 months into application so god knows how long but we will get there in end will probably go out after xmas for a job and house scout have been several times before!!

Manda and Bri
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

tipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Perth Bound?

ok little bird, count me in, me and baldus might be working on the mindarie keys so will have to ask the trouble and strife to play out.
i will be on this 4rum till i get the PR then its dump the PC for a proper harddrive with a duplex and a pool at the end of it.
take care kos we care tipper.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Finch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the initial response peeps it looks encouraging. I've just emailed Nicola direct as she has offered some initial help with email addresses so we should be able to come back to the forum soon on what you need to do next.

Just a note, don't worry if you haven't received a visa yet or don't know exactly where (in Perth) or when you're going. The first thing I'm trying to do is compile contact details of everybody whose interested, cos my guess is that once you leave the UK the tendancy to access the forum will be diminished, good intentions and all that, and communication may just be that little bit more difficult between interested parties if the only form of contact is the NG.

By the way we're heading out Jan 03, going out in Oct though for a look around schools, suburbs etc. Once we get the list going though and distributed with updates, I know theres people who are flying out before us so nothing stopping you guys meeting up once you're settled, but guess I would like to organise the first major barbie on the beach by the Indian Ocean (sound good!)sometime early next year when potentially the majority of the people interested will be there. Then as people arrive subsequent events can be arranged.

Finch
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 4:55 pm
Some people call me Sonic

Steve & Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Finch,

Wow - What a task your taking on !

I would love to join your list, I've just started the applictaion process so it could be a while

I am popping over to Perth with my family (Wife & 2 young daughters) in April 2003 for 3.5 weeks so maybe some of us could meet up then. I'm staying in Scaraborough.

Kind Regards

Steve

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Nicola... sure you can take your puters.. my son and I are taking ours as hand luggage, minus the box and monitor (basically the internals and the little things we have collected over time that we wanna keep)

Yvonne

23 days til we leave, 25 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by NickyTurner:
Dear Finch

When are you heading down under?
I know someone who will be going very soon, but i am not allowed to tell- you'll all know tonight in no uncertain terms!
Great idea- I am happy to be keeper of email addresses if you want but will need some help with the bbq! Maybe a beach party is more viable! (unless anyone out there is seriously wadged and can afford humumgous mansion!)

Cheers

Nicky
[email protected]

PS Anyone know if we can take computers with us as my home one is broken and dont want to buy a new one for just a few months!
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Diane is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Finch:

Hey Finch

Soooper idea. COUNT US IN. We're off to Perth Jan-March time. I'm happy to help in any way (my brother's a butcher - cheap steaks & sausages!!!) Just let me know...Maybe we should think of a "name" for our little gang. Any ideas Baldybum?

Diane
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 8:06 pm
Rob

Default taking computers to Oz - beware (was Re: Perth Bound?)

In <[email protected]> ywoods wrote:
    > Nicola... sure you can take your puters.. my son and I are taking ours as hand
    > luggage, minus the box and monitor (basically the internals and the little
    > things we have collected over time that we wanna keep)

Beware with computer monitors. Due to geomagnetic differences between the northern
and southern hemispheres, some CRT (tube) monitors can look naff when taken from
north to south. Some companies make two different versions, one for the northern
hemisphere and one for the southern. LCD monitors (e.g. laptops and new iMacs) aren't
affected by these problems.

See http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/2002/MonitorHemispher-
es.asp

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diane:
Originally posted by Finch:

Hey Finch

Soooper idea. COUNT US IN. We're off to Perth Jan-March time. I'm happy to help in any way (my brother's a butcher - cheap steaks & sausages!!!) Just let me know...Maybe we should think of a "name" for our little gang. Any ideas Baldybum?

Diane
Hi Finch
Great idea , keep our name in there!! We are heading out october as have our visa, yes , cant wait!! Will help if we can.
Joanne,paul,scott and shawnie xx
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 10:13 pm
Cath

Default Re: taking computers to Oz - beware (was Re: Perth Bound?)

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 20:06:56 GMT, rob <[email protected]> wrote:

>In <[email protected]> ywoods wrote:
    >> Nicola... sure you can take your puters.. my son and I are taking ours as hand
    >> luggage, minus the box and monitor (basically the internals and the little
    >> things we have collected over time that we wanna keep)
    >Beware with computer monitors. Due to geomagnetic differences between the northern
    >and southern hemispheres, some CRT (tube) monitors can look naff when taken from
    >north to south. Some companies make two different versions, one for the northern
    >hemisphere and one for the southern. LCD monitors (e.g. laptops and new iMacs)
    >aren't affected by these problems.
    >See http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/2002/MonitorHemisph-
    >eres.asp

Most new monitors now have a universal label.

My oh took his from the US back in the 80's to NZ and never had a problem and that
was in the days before universal monitors. Ditto for the US Govt dept he was
attached to who used many computers in NZ.

I took mine from the US back to NZ then back to the US and again, no problems.

Cath

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Finch - great idea!. I am in Perth already and its fantastic (well obviously it has a few minor flaws) Don't be put off by PB's/other comments - come with realistic expectations and you'll be more than pleasantly surprised.

Re: the PC - should be no problems. I have taken PC's to the UK from Africa and now from the UK to here and had absolutely no problem. A word of advice - I would suggest that you bring your whole PC with you or airfreight - it is really helpful to be able to get and send email as soon as you arrive. You can of course use internet cafes there are plenty of them but the vast majority are in the CBD near the backpackers hangouts.

Cheers

DPR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.