Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PERTH - Area pro's and con's

PERTH - Area pro's and con's

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 2:37 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default PERTH - Area pro's and con's

For all of the people already in Perth, would you be able to tell us why you like the suburb where you live, and if there are any downsides to the area.

It would be really useful to know, as we are to hoping to move to the Northern suburbs in the next few months.

Different to the other thread floating around re bad areas, this gives you a chance to give positive opinions about the place you live, and not just the negatives

TIA

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Jun 23rd 2006 at 2:43 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 6:25 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PERTH - Area pro's and con's

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
For all of the people already in Perth, would you be able to tell us why you like the suburb where you live, and if there are any downsides to the area.

It would be really useful to know, as we are to hoping to move to the Northern suburbs in the next few months.

Different to the other thread floating around re bad areas, this gives you a chance to give positive opinions about the place you live, and not just the negatives

TIA
Anyone like to start it off?

renth?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Anyone like to start it off?

renth?
When you wake up, that is
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 6:58 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have lived in Wanneroo, Woodvale and Joondalup (most recently). I will be returning to Joondalup when I go home in Nov - as my Dad still lives there. I'd love to buy my own place there but it is pretty pricey although, like anywhere - you just need to look hard and you may be lucky and find something.

In my humble opinion - here are my pro's and con's for Joondalup.

Pro's -

Lovely scenic area - paths and parks in both old and new part.
Great public transport service - trains and buses
Nice restaurants
pubs (although, the old bailey aint all that special...they do have a nice pint there)
good drs facilities
shopping centre
police station and court house - and police academy (although, maybe this is a con)??
Hospital - been in it and been operated on there!

Cons -

Ok...can't actually think of any, as I loved living in Joondalup
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
Well I have lived in Wanneroo, Woodvale and Joondalup (most recently). I will be returning to Joondalup when I go home in Nov - as my Dad still lives there. I'd love to buy my own place there but it is pretty pricey although, like anywhere - you just need to look hard and you may be lucky and find something.

Pro's -

Nice restaurants
pubs (although, the old bailey aint all that special...they do have a nice pint there)
good drs facilities
shopping centre
police station and court house - and police academy (although, maybe this is a con)??

Cons -

Thanks. That has confirmed what I thought, as I have been researching that area for a while now, and it is the place we would like to try, and Joondalup Health Campus is where I would like to work
Old Jun 24th 2006, 12:30 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok We live in Clarkson .
Pros
Got a great house at a great price in a great road !
2mins to the beach or bush .
Only 5 mins to Joondalup .
Plenty of Shops, takeaways ,Docs, etc in the area.
Train station in this burb . 32mins to the city on the train .
Plenty of parks and open spaces , good roads
There's more being bulit in the next few years , pub ,restaurants , more shops .

Cons
No real ones other than if you want to go south for any reason it takes a bit longer as we are at the top end if Perth .But still only an hour or so down to rockingham etc.

If i think of any more will add too it later

Last edited by Perthforme; Jun 24th 2006 at 12:39 am.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 2:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElshaUK

Pro's -

Nice restaurants
good drs facilities
shopping centre

Cons -

here are my pro's and con's for Joondalup.

Pro's -

It's in Perth, the best city in Australia & one of the best in the world.

Cons -

Too many Poms with Pommie attitudes, clinging on to Pommie ways,
Sterile,
Bland,
Legoland,
Stepford wifeesque.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 2:49 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Carrramar. It has a good community feel and is affordable because we are a massive 10 minutes from the beach. 5 mins from Joondalup where all the shops etc we need are. Being a new estate prices are rocketing. The primary school is good, the community centre just opened and the shopping centre is coming soon. There is a good community atmopshere (we have started going to the community meetings) very little trouble and the developers of this whole estate are good at working with the council to get things done.

I can be in work (city centre) in 50 mins door to door on the train or 30 mins if I drive in early-ish. The Freeway extension will shave another 5 mins off that in 18 months. Possibly the main thing is there are loads of us ex-pats within 10 mins of Joondalup so there are lots of friends to be made.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

STEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
We are in Carrramar. It has a good community feel and is affordable because we are a massive 10 minutes from the beach. 5 mins from Joondalup where all the shops etc we need are. Being a new estate prices are rocketing. The primary school is good, the community centre just opened and the shopping centre is coming soon. There is a good community atmopshere (we have started going to the community meetings) very little trouble and the developers of this whole estate are good at working with the council to get things done.

I can be in work (city centre) in 50 mins door to door on the train or 30 mins if I drive in early-ish. The Freeway extension will shave another 5 mins off that in 18 months. Possibly the main thing is there are loads of us ex-pats within 10 mins of Joondalup so there are lots of friends to be made.

Hi all

we are at the moment in Ocean Reef,fantastic place,5 min walk from the beach ,primary school is fantastic,(daughter havent been on so many trips with a school) 2 min drive from Joondalup and about 10 min drive to Hillarys boat harbour ,which is lovley, i find Ocean Reef area clean and very well kept by all home owners, everyone seems freindly here.
Loads of parks around with free barbie use ,plenty of local shops ,although there is a 5 min drive to the pub which is in Mullaloo lovley sunset to watch which is a must,which you can watch over the ocean.

Down side of Ocean Reef ,we could never realistically afford to buy here ,it is very expensive, house prices here start from 600,000 and up BUT WE CAN DREAM.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:36 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by STEVE&TERRI
Hi all

we are at the moment in Ocean Reef,fantastic place,5 min walk from the beach ,primary school is fantastic,(daughter havent been on so many trips with a school) 2 min drive from Joondalup and about 10 min drive to Hillarys boat harbour ,which is lovley, i find Ocean Reef area clean and very well kept by all home owners, everyone seems freindly here.
Loads of parks around with free barbie use ,plenty of local shops ,although there is a 5 min drive to the pub which is in Mullaloo lovley sunset to watch which is a must,which you can watch over the ocean.

Down side of Ocean Reef ,we could never realistically afford to buy here ,it is very expensive, house prices here start from 600,000 and up BUT WE CAN DREAM.
Same here....renting in Ocean Reef,but could NEVER afford to buy here
Old Jun 24th 2006, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Pro's -

Cons -

Sterile,
Bland,
Legoland,
Stepford wifeesque.
lol. love to see some pics of the Hills.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

We are in beautiful Hillarys .

Pros

It's beautiful
Walk to beach & boat harbour
Lots of restaurants
Decent shops
Good schools (although only one state primary which is limiting if you don't like it)
VERY friendly locals
Clean
20-25 mins to Perth CBD
10-15 mins to Joondalup

Cons

VERY expensive real estate (very little decent - if nothing - under $550K)
Older Hillarys is nicer than the new estates (purely personal opinion though)
Sometimes difficult to work out who lives here and who's on holiday as the Boat Harbour is a big tourist attraction.

The cons are easy to live with though and don't affect everyday life (apart from not being able to afford a house here ). We have settled quickly and are loving our time here.

Tracey
Old Jun 24th 2006, 8:52 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Pro's -

Cons -

Sterile,
Bland,
Legoland,
Stepford wifeesque.
So I guess what you're saying is, lots of Poms are emigrating and forming their own communities, does that make them an ethnic minority?

Soon lots of these "ethnic minorities" will spring up and make the Aussies wonder why they're not integrating with the "natives". Soon the Aussies will want to move to a country where everyone lives together and integrates.............hold on....this all sounds a bit familiar

"Opens umbrellla and waits for the s**tstorm"
Old Jun 24th 2006, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
So I guess what you're saying is, lots of Poms are emigrating and forming their own communities, does that make them an ethnic minority?

Soon lots of these "ethnic minorities" will spring up and make the Aussies wonder why they're not integrating with the "natives". Soon the Aussies will want to move to a country where everyone lives together and integrates.............hold on....this all sounds a bit familiar

"Opens umbrellla and waits for the s**tstorm"
Is it gonna rain like?

How you liking it?
Old Jun 24th 2006, 6:36 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Cons -

Sterile,
Bland,
Legoland,
Stepford wifeesque.
Yes, there a lot of poms, but I never thought that was a bad thing. I am quite happy being a mish-mash Australian citizen, alot of English ways about me, but also Aussie ways too. I love going to either Moon & Sixpence or The old Bailey and hearing English accents and drinking a nice pint (Drink VB too, so not just swearing allegiance to British beer).

I have lived in Joondalup since 1992 when the shopping centre and most of the new part didn't exist. I don't see it as Lego land or bland but I suppose others might.

I like the wide open roads of the main part of Joondalup, I like the trees and little painted tiles in the curbs along the road.

I like the fact that I have pretty much all I need, readily accessible to me. I didn't drive when I lived there, so being able to get to Hospital appts, have x-rays, go to the library and then do some shopping all within the 1 area, appealed to me

But....each to their own

There are many lovely area's in Perth and there have been some fab comments so far on where people have settled and their pro's and con's!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.