Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth, Adelaide or the Sunshine Coast??

Perth, Adelaide or the Sunshine Coast??

Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

EmmaKate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth, Adelaide or the Sunshine Coast??

Hi all
My partner and I are looking to move to Oz with our baby daughter. I've been in NZ for 8 years but we've decided to give Oz a go.

Anyone able to give feedback on Perth, Adelaide or the Sunshine Coast in terms of weather and more importantly bringing up children in each place please?

Perth is looking like the favourite at the moment!! We're looking for a relaxed lifestyle out of the CBD. We're both beachy outdoors people and want Lola to be brought up by the sea / in the country.

Cheers

Emma
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:34 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth, Adelaide or the Sunshine Coast??

Emma

I would go sunshine coast - can't comment on the other places but we have a young family and we've been here 4 years, its one of the most popular areas to live - IF you can get your work sorted out. We're in caloundra which is one of the best family-centric parts i know of, great lifestyle and environment - do a search, check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8rea...eature=related

J

Originally Posted by EmmaKate
Hi all
My partner and I are looking to move to Oz with our baby daughter. I've been in NZ for 8 years but we've decided to give Oz a go.

Anyone able to give feedback on Perth, Adelaide or the Sunshine Coast in terms of weather and more importantly bringing up children in each place please?

Perth is looking like the favourite at the moment!! We're looking for a relaxed lifestyle out of the CBD. We're both beachy outdoors people and want Lola to be brought up by the sea / in the country.

Cheers

Emma
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Cheers

Emma
What's wrong with Darwin? That's got country and beach.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Cheers

Emma
Just read some of the previous with regards to Perth before making any decision to disembark here..and think where you and partner may be happy not some illussion about what may or may not be best for the child.
Most of Oz has east access to beaches,although few in Perth that i know bother to frequent them much these days.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 7:38 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

cant afford to live near a beach in Perth - its a right rip off
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in Perth just over two years and absolutely love it. We chose it because of the weather. It has more sunshine (average of 8 days all year round) than any other city in Australia. And although it can get up to 40 degrees in summer, it's a very dry heat, i.e. does not "feel" so hot.

Have a look at www.bom.gov.au for objective weather information.

But before you think about the weather, you should think about jobs. Adelaide and the Sunshine Coast may be more limited job-wise than Perth. But it's best if you have a look at www.seek.com.au or search the local papers online to see how many jobs there are in your line of work.

Re affordable housing: Have a look at www.realestate.com.au
We live north-of-the-river, 10 minutes from the beach by car, and 4x2 houses in our suburb sell for around $450,000 (just to give you an idea).
Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:00 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Cheers

Emma
Hi emma , Adelaide has much more child friendly , beachs than any were in Australia , built on Gulf St vincent , there is very little surf, more a gentle to and fro of the tides , lots of tidal pools for the kids to romp in..........mm
Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:06 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Brighton beach at sunset , Gulf ST Vincent...........mm
Attached Thumbnails Perth, Adelaide or the Sunshine Coast??-cs_brighton_sunset1.jpg  
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

EmmaKate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover
Hi emma , Adelaide has much more child friendly , beachs than any were in Australia , built on Gulf St vincent , there is very little surf, more a gentle to and fro of the tides , lots of tidal pools for the kids to romp in..........mm
All the feedback is great! Will do some more research when my daughter finally decides to take a nap!!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:32 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
only problem is the concentration of great white sharks in Adelaide waters. But as long as your kids don't go out on inflatables and dangle their legs over the edge, they'll be fine.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
We've been in Perth just over two years and absolutely love it. We chose it because of the weather. It has more sunshine (average of 8 days all year round) than any other city in Australia. And although it can get up to 40 degrees in summer, it's a very dry heat, i.e. does not "feel" so hot.
Canberra's long term average of sunshine hours is 9.3 hours a day
http://www.bom.gov.au/announcements/...act/0102.shtml

although another part of the bom site puts it at slightly less..

Last edited by copa; Dec 15th 2009 at 9:46 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by asprilla
only problem is the concentration of great white sharks in Adelaide waters. But as long as your kids don't go out on inflatables and dangle their legs over the edge, they'll be fine.
There is plenty of great white sharks in gulfs, however it's extremely rare that they come close to the shore.

Lot's of bronzies close by though.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

We're in Sunny Coast, its quite magical, variety of different style beaches that you never get bored of, the hinterland with rolling green hills, forests and waterfalls. Family life is pretty fantastic, a large amount of parks, BBQ areas, events and festivals. Within two hours of more than half a dozen theme parks, Gold Coast and big city Brisbane.

Weather wise Sunshine Coast > Adelaide/Perth. Adelaide and Perth will get more very hot and dry in Summer and more wet and cold in winter. Sunshine Coast only has average six days above 35c, it hangs around 30c in summer and 22c in winter, very balanced.

The sea is too cold in Adelaide for beach life, in Perth its good for half a year, Sunshine Coast most the year. More Sharks in Adelaide and Perth too.
http://www.livingin-australia.com/se...ures-australia

I've never been to Perth or Adelaide, but they look fantastic in their own way.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Other thing to consider are you happy to be fairly cut off from other states if you move to Perth?

If you were in say Adelaide you could drive to Melbourne and visit the other states easier. So more options during holiday times.

From Perth you prob going to need flights, which are not cheap like easyjet in the UK.

But most important is work, doesnt matter how nice the state is if you cant find work.

Gems
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
We're in Sunny Coast, its quite magical, variety of different style beaches that you never get bored of, the hinterland with rolling green hills, forests and waterfalls. Family life is pretty fantastic, a large amount of parks, BBQ areas, events and festivals. Within two hours of more than half a dozen theme parks, Gold Coast and big city Brisbane.

Weather wise Sunshine Coast > Adelaide/Perth. Adelaide and Perth will get more very hot and dry in Summer and more wet and cold in winter. Sunshine Coast only has average six days above 35c, it hangs around 30c in summer and 22c in winter, very balanced.

The sea is too cold in Adelaide for beach life, in Perth its good for half a year, Sunshine Coast most the year. More Sharks in Adelaide and Perth too.
http://www.livingin-australia.com/se...ures-australia

I've never been to Perth or Adelaide, but they look fantastic in their own way.

You've sold me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.